2018 Noise when stopping / starting movement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
I've started to notice a bit of a noise when I'm stopping, or start moving again. Usually, but not always, it occurs when I hit the brakes at low speed or release the brakes at low speed. It is a click or a bit of a clunk sound. I don't feel anything wrong other than hear the noise. Not sure if its the transition between friction and regen needing some adjustment or a suspension noise or what?

Anyone else have this?

Yes, I had the exact same noise happening on my 2015 Leaf.
Nissan Tech isolated the noise to front axles.

He lubricated and retorqued the front axles and now the noise is gone.

I had my yearly visit to my dealer last Friday - and hopefully the last one.

Anyway, you were correct. It was a problem with axle nut or something like that - they re-greased, replaced the nut and properly torqued it all. Makes me wonder what would have happened if not fixed. So that was good. Also rotated my tires, and did my annual battery inspection. They even had a bulletin on the issue - I'll look for my paperwork later and post it.

Side note, they said the battery inspection is no longer required. I might have missed that being posted here. But my Nissan dealer said they will no longer require that "battery inspection" for the warranty, and as such, Nissan won't be paying for them / doing them anymore.

I ended up paying $20 for the tires. The bad part is it took slightly over FOUR hours of me waiting. They are nice but every time I've gone there they take forever. They blame it on having only one tech that can work on a Leaf and there was another in front of me. I don't really care what their excuse is, four plus hours to do those three things is crazy. I don't expect to ever need to go back their again, as I'm going to sell the Leaf this spring.

Those four hour waits seem to be SOP for Toyota as well as Nissan. One of the secondary reasons for my housemate switching from driving a Prius PHEV to driving a Leaf was her noting that I seem to spend very little time waiting for mine - and very little time having it serviced at all. (The primary reason being that the Prius PHEV is NOT a good car for those who don't drive enough to keep the ICE exercised. The tertiary reason was the inverter issues that have cropped up with PIPs. She wanted to lease a car that she could safely buy when the lease ends.)

I looked at lunch and it says there is a NTB on the issue but didn't give me a number in my paperwork.

Also, my battery health report.... My score was very high for both categories. Has anyone ever not scored very high? Especially since they are discontinuing the health check.

danrjones said:
I looked at lunch and it says there is a NTB on the issue but didn't give me a number in my paperwork.

This is for the 'tick' sound from the axles when accelerating or decelerating? And a NTB means Nissan will fix it for free?

Correct, it was a tick or small clunking sound when I would slow down past about 20-25 mph, and then when I released the brakes and started accelerating, it would do it again. I would have guessed a brake issue, but thanks to the poster above, I mentioned axle issue when I turned the car in and indeed they found an NTB. For me, yes, they considered it a warranty issue. I would guess NTB is something like "Nissan Technical Bulletin" or similar. I would have thought it was TSB, Technical Service Bulletin, but in my paperwork they wrote NTB.

Seems like now the noise is gone.

Thanks. I was going to just fix it myself when I have the time but maybe I'll ask my local Nissan dealer about it to see if they can do it for me....

Back