Access to Colorado HOV Lanes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WMTribe90

Thought I saw or read somewhere a while back that EVs could access HOV lanes without having two or more passengers. When I searched today, the only thing I found was language stating that 2,000 hybrids have been granted permits to use the HOV lanes and there is awaiting list to get one of these. No mention of EVs anywhere I could find. Seems odd the EVs have a privileged status, but not EVs.

Any fellow Leafers in Colorado know the deal here?

WMTribe90 said:
Thought I saw or read somewhere a while back that EVs could access HOV lanes without having two or more passengers. When I searched today, the only thing I found was language stating that 2,000 hybrids have been granted permits to use the HOV lanes and there is awaiting list to get one of these. No mention of EVs anywhere I could find. Seems odd the EVs have a privileged status, but not EVs.

Any fellow Leafers in Colorado know the deal here?

When the program was launched, in 2008, EVs were very rare so only hybrids were mentioned. The quota of 2000 drivers was quickly filled and a waiting list was formed:

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/hybrids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This recent brochure, however, states that a variety of alternate fuel vehicles including EVs can use the lanes:

http://www.coloradodot.info/library/Brochures/HOVbro.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suggest you call the number on the brochure. I haven't bothered as I'm not near the few Colorado HOV lanes.

I applied for an HOV decal for my 2013 Leaf. I was told I'm 132 on the wait list. I suspect my 2 year lease will be up before another 132 people drop their permit. :cry:

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid that the HOV deal was worked out before EVs were really on the scene.

Nothing personal against hydbrid drivers, but is it really still neccessary to incentivize people to buy hybrid cars? To be effective, the incentives should transitioned to the next/greener technology. Putting hybrids and EVs in the same boat makes little sense. That siad, I realize it would be problematic to boot the hybrid drivers out of the HOV lane now.

Oh well, guess I'll just leave the house a bit earlier.

WMTribe90 said:
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid that the HOV deal was worked out before EVs were really on the scene.

Nothing personal against hydbrid drivers, but is it really still neccessary to incentivize people to buy hybrid cars? To be effective, the incentives should transitioned to the next/greener technology. Putting hybrids and EVs in the same boat makes little sense. That siad, I realize it would be problematic to boot the hybrid drivers out of the HOV lane now.

Oh well, guess I'll just leave the house a bit earlier.

It isn't necessary any more to give incentives on hybrid cars. I was looking at hybrid incentives earlier this year and found that only a trickle remain, and those have phase-outs. The Colorado HOV hybrid incentive is a bit of a dinosaur that way.

Might be worth contacting your Colorado state congresscritters on this - they seem to be pretty responsive on EV stuff in general.

Back