After 5 years, it finally left me stranded....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

We're on our second Leaf. And so far, neither me nor my wife have been left stranded, until last night. There was a perfect storm of variables that led to it, though.

So I left my place in Kennedale, Tx to far north Fort Worth to pick up a friend (about 27 miles). From there we drove to Highland Village (another 24 miles). There were several L2 stations along the way but I didn't want to stop at one. There was a Dc fast charge nearby our destination according to plugshare. I thought I'd top off there. Well, it turned out to be a Nissan dealer and they were closed and there was no way to access it. Still, no problem. I still had enough range left to take my friend home and hit a Dc fast charge station on my way home.

When I dropped off my friend it showed I had 16 miles remaining and the charge station was only 6 miles away. No problem! But after a mile or so, it dropped to 8 miles remaining. And then a mile after that it went to ---. And then a mile later it reduced power. I still had about 4 miles to go to the station. I pulled over into a parking lot and called a tow truck.

It was also pouring rain, dark, and cold. And I was left all alone in a dark parking lot in an unfamiliar part of town. I started having an anxiety attack, unfortunately. It was a retail business area, but all of the businesses were closed. Had it not been raining, dark, and late at night I might have searched around for a 120V outlet I could plug into for an hour or so, then try to make it to the fast charger.

So in retrospect here are some thing that went wrong:
  • The nearby Dc fast charge station that would have helped was unavailable after hours
  • Had the GOM been more accurate and I realized my peril earlier, I would have stopped for an hour at an L2 station, as there were some along the way.
  • it was pouring rain and humid and the windshield kept fogging up, so I had to run the defrost a lot in order to see.
  • Insufficient fast charge infrastructure in Dallas/Ft.Worth area.

The tow truck driver offered to take me to the charge station. He was familiar with it and said he had taken electric vehicles there before. I decided not to, and just had it towed back to my friends house and plugged into 120V and left the car there over night, while he drove me home.

I would also point out this is a 2013 model and I only managed to get 80 miles out of it before it died. I guess that is probably about right since most of that driving was freeway.

But I do think this sort of seals the deal that I'm done with BEVs. Our other vehicle is a Volt and obviously this wouldn't have been a problem if I had been driving that vehicle. When our lease is up on this Leaf I'm pretty sure the next vehicle will be another PHEV of some kind. I probably wouldn't say that if Dallas/FortWorth had more charging infrastructure or at least more planned. But we haven't really gained any chargers in 2 or 3 years. In fact, I think we've lost several. And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Only managed to get 80 miles in bad weather on freeway. Are you serious?
I don't see anything wrong except you relying on guess-o-meter :roll:

5-years of experience, one mistake and you are done. How so?
Also why lack of photons and excessive amount of H2O makes people anxious?

If you are done with BEVs then wish you luck after running out of gasoline when you forget your wallet home :lol:

Also next time you are few miles away from a friend just call him and tow the Leaf to next charging station using rope.
It's more convenient to do it before Leaf dies (like in Turtle mode). Put it in D and not ECO (low regen) or just Neutral.
Forget that BS Nissan says about "do not tow". It is impossible to hurt the vehicle if it has not even died jet
(except crashing into the front vehicle).
If it's dead then speed must be kept really low. Like 20mph.

adric22 said:
When I dropped off my friend it showed I had 16 miles remaining and the charge station was only 6 miles away. No problem! But after a mile or so, it dropped to 8 miles remaining. And then a mile after that it went to ---. And then a mile later it reduced power. I still had about 4 miles to go to the station. I pulled over into a parking lot and called a tow truck.

This part seems contrary to my experiences. When my battery gets low, each GOM mile typically turns into 1.25- 1.5 real miles. Is it possible that your battery is unbalanced? It seems likely to me that one or more cells were weak, dropped out earlier than the BMS expected, and brought down the entire pack.

arnis said:
Oh.. Don't get the wrong impression. This is not the primary reason. This is just like the straw that broke the camel's back. The main issue is the lack of charging station development in Texas. When we got our first Leaf back in 2011 there were charging stations popping up all over the place, it seemed. But after a year, that stopped. Then some started to break and never get fixed, some are perpetually ICEd. And it appears no companies have any desire to install more infrastructure around here. 5 years ago, I thought going forward the charging infrastructure would have been 10x what it is today. But now it appears if anything, it is going backwards. And since our Volt works very well for us as a daily EV, without fearing if we'll find a charging station on those longer trips, PHEVs just make more sense for us. So next car that replaces our Leaf will be a PHEV. Although, I suppose we'll give consideration to the Bolt EV since 200 miles of range would also eliminate most of this hassle.

@adric22: Did you at least mark the fast charging station at the Nissan dealer in Plugshare as "business hours only"? That will help others from having the same issue you did.

The GOM dropping like a stone does sound like unbalanced cells. What does your LEAFSpy say?

You're right -- the infrastructure has stalled in DFW. The closest public station to me is 10 miles away (a Whole Foods in Fairview/McKinney).

aarond12 said:
@adric22: Did you at least mark the fast charging station at the Nissan dealer in Plugshare as "business hours only"? That will help others from having the same issue you did.
It was already marked in plugshare as business hours only.. I was just a bonehead and didn't look that close. I saw the orange dot on plugshare map and I thought I had used that station before and thought it was an EVgo station.

adric22 said:
Although, I suppose we'll give consideration to the Bolt EV since 200 miles of range would also eliminate most of this hassle.

I was going to ask if a BEV200 (which would in theory give 4X redundancy rather than 2X for typical daily use) would do the trick.

We used to be a 2 BEV househould: my 2012 and wife's 2013 LEAF. Had issues with the LEAF that Nissan couldn't fix, so they bought it back. The timing wasn't perfect: we really wanted to get into a 2016 LEAF or Volt, but this was Nov '15 and neither were available in our area. While we have successfully used our 2 EVs for most travel and borrowed/rented for trips (one of the "nice" things about having our 2013 at the dealer over and over is that we at least got free loaners, so we scheduled our trips around that!), my wife felt a little restricted about having to go through the planning of renting a car to take a trip. At a minimum we wanted to be able to make it from Raleigh to Charlotte (about 140 miles) with at most one quick stop, which the 107 mile 2016 would have given us, but we were stuck. As a second option we wanted a 2016 Volt so there would be no issues with making my wife's commute (about 16.5 miles each way), but those weren't available either. So we ended up getting a 2015 Volt. Unfortunately it doesn't quite cover her commute in the winter, so I am bummed about that (she uses gas for about 3-5 miles a day).

Our real hope for our next vehicle is a BEV we can use for long trips. I don't think a BEV200 is going to quite cut it, since at 80% charges, and assuming perfectly spaced charging stations, that really only gives us about 160 miles of range between stops, and our annual long trip is about 800 miles, requiring at least 4 stops along the way (I suspect it would be 5 to account for charging station availability), and since we try to do it in one (long) day, that would be pushing it. I suspect the Bolt will come only in 200 mile range. Best case for the LEAF 2 in my opinion is 250 miles, but 200 miles is more likely. I'm really hoping that the Tesla Model 3 will have various pack options, STARTING at 200 miles. Really think I need a minimum of 250, and ideally 300 miles to make this trip. The Volt lease will be up in early 2019, so that's how long I have to get the technology to come up to the task of making this trip!

adric22 said:
[*]it was pouring rain and humid and the windshield kept fogging up, so I had to run the defrost a lot in order to see.

I highly recommend you get the heater mod shown in http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20446

With it on setting II you can run defrost at a lower power level, it will clear the window just as well but won't hurt range as much. If you don't need the heat at all you can run in setting I and turn heat completely off for even more range improvement.

I thought the 2013 had a heat off switch but maybe your car doesn't? Even if it does having this would give you an in between option that isn't full heat and isn't off that can be more useful and still save lots of power.

Put your money into Model III on March 31.
You get a long distance capable vehicle with guaranteed ability to not get stranded IF
you use navigation on your longer than 200 mile trips.

Adric22: Sorry for your plight. While I know that you are committed to driving electric, many here may not remember that you were one of the early adopters, but had mostly short range drives initially. Obviously you continued to Leaf, bumping up to the 2013, while continuing to have the Volt as well. You're doing everything you can, but the infrastructure isn't expanding as fast as needed. I understand completely as I'm in a similar situation, but in a much smaller metropolitan area. To my knowledge, we've only had FOUR stations (two dealerships) added in 4-5 years, despite my education efforts and offering to donate a ClipperCreek to anyone who would it installed. These things are moving slower than glaciers are melting!

Don't let the detractors get you down. Just keep driving as many electric miles as you can with any vehicle that you feel comfortable. Let's hope that when your 2013 lease is up, there are better options. Certainly the new 50+ mi Volt is a better option for you than an older Leaf. For me, the 50 mi 2011 Leaf is still working fine, soaking up about 7000-8000 mi per year. Driving electric outside of our city area still requires gasoline or a long-range EV like the Tesla. Even the BMW i3 rex won't work for me since all trips to Seattle would require charging in Ellensburg 100 mi away, preceded by a very significant 2500 ft elevation gain in the last 30 mi.

adric22 said:
Oh.. Don't get the wrong impression. This is not the primary reason. This is just like the straw that broke the camel's back. The main issue is the lack of charging station development in Texas.

I'm not buying it: you've been a Leaf owner and frequent poster as long as I have! While you are right that it was a "Perfect Storm" of mistakes (you know better than to trust the GOM after 5 years), I think this incident had one fatal flaw: you had to defrost the windows (which kicks in the heater). The sad thing is, we've had a cheap ($20), simple (no soldering, cutting, etc) fix for a few months now with Tor's cable+switch.
I recommend everyone with a 2011/2012 Leaf install it (I did). I haven't used it (yet), but it's definitely one of those things that's nice to have and not need, than need and not have.

Reddy said:
Adric22: Sorry for your plight. While I know that you are committed to driving electric, many here may not remember that you were one of the early adopters, but had mostly short range drives initially.
Yes, I'm definitely committed to driving electric. This little incident isn't going to detract me. But I'm just not interested in any more 85 mile BEVs unless the charging infrastructure around here grows significantly. Sadly, we don't even have many L2 stations. Although I did pass a few, by the time I realized I was in trouble there were no L2 stations within a 10 mile radius other than the one right next to the fast charger that I couldn't reach. Had there been one nearby, I could have stopped there for 15-20 minutes and then gone on to the fast charger.
Reddy said:
Certainly the new 50+ mi Volt is a better option for you than an older Leaf.
I'm going to be giving serious consideration to the 2017 Volt when it becomes available in Texas. We didn't get the 2016 model. Our lease is up at the end of this year, so there will be some other options available by that time.

I can relate to OP story. About a month ago l had to take a longer trip an I took my wife's 2015 Leaf. I forgot to take the Bluetooth adapter. I had 27 miles on the GOM, charger at 22 miles, freeway only. Rain and head wind started. I reduced speed, got this VLBW at 4 miles from charger. Drove the last 2 miles on the shoulder at 20 mph. The AV charger said 1% when I plugged in. I did not see the reduced power. But I was moving at one bubble only for two miles. Without LeafSpy I was blind. I believe that the 2015 is acting weird/different at low battery. That was closest I was to getting stuck.

The 2013 Leaf doesn't need any heating system mods - it has a heater off switch and air to air heat exchanger. The OP experienced a "perfect storm" of making the wrong decisions, multiple times, for the circumstances, something we've all done. It's puzzling that a longtime forum participant would be looking at the GOM when the 2013 comes with a SOC display option, but this just goes to show that we need to tell all Leaf drivers to use SOC if they can, and to ignore the GOM...

In this case the odometer trip meter would also have sufficed, as 80 miles of highway driving, with the heat on, is actually more range than I'd expect from a 2013 Leaf. Of course, I never go below LBW.

adric22 said:
arnis said:
Oh.. Don't get the wrong impression. This is not the primary reason. This is just like the straw that broke the camel's back. The main issue is the lack of charging station development in Texas. When we got our first Leaf back in 2011 there were charging stations popping up all over the place, it seemed. But after a year, that stopped. Then some started to break and never get fixed, some are perpetually ICEd. And it appears no companies have any desire to install more infrastructure around here. 5 years ago, I thought going forward the charging infrastructure would have been 10x what it is today. But now it appears if anything, it is going backwards. And since our Volt works very well for us as a daily EV, without fearing if we'll find a charging station on those longer trips, PHEVs just make more sense for us. So next car that replaces our Leaf will be a PHEV. Although, I suppose we'll give consideration to the Bolt EV since 200 miles of range would also eliminate most of this hassle.
I'm a little confused. In your sig it says you have a '13 and in your OP you mention '13 but in this post and the title of this thread you talk about 5 years and a '11 :?
I feel your pain but don't think even a 200 mile Bolt is going to eliminate this from ever happening to you in the future, reason being you'll end up making longer trips and could still get caught short. IMO the big issue with all electric is as you said, limited charging infrastructure(in certain areas) and no real emergency backup in the car. When I first got my Leaf I did all kinds of research on possible backup generators to carry around for emergencies, unfortunately I found they weren't really practical. I could maybe see transporting a 2kw 120v Honda around but it would be woefully slow as well as expensive(around $1k) and name brand 240v generators are even more expensive, heavy and bulky. I also thought why drag a generator around 27x7 when if at all I might only use a time or two, not to mention the gas going bad or possibly smelling up the interior of the car, especially on a hot day.
I seriously looked into the Volt('14 at the time) but didn't like the limited electric range and the fact that I'd have to modify things to keep the gas engine from running in the very cold temps we have in MN many months of the year. It was also WAY to cramped for my taste and the max 4 seating was a deal breaker. That said it sounds like 2 of my main complaints have been addressed(now 5 pass and longer EV range) but my guess is it may still feel cramped and I'd probably still have to modify things to keep it all electric.
To me the ideal vehicle would probably be something like the i3 with a small backup generator for emergencies but much larger in vehicle size, this as apposed to something like a Volt with a large 4 cyl gas engine thats not only a generator but also a means of propulsion and may want to run, even though I don't want it too.
I feel your pain and can only imagine I may have reacted in the same way, I've only ran real close once, when I first got my Leaf, which was on a long trip all the way across town. Like you I got real nervous as not only my GOM started dropping like a rock ~5 miles from home on a freeway but also my % dropped quickly by what seemed like a % every .1 of a mile. I was fighting a strong head wind and no real options other than 55mph on the freeway and even at that I was getting blown off the road. Since then I really plan my trips to make sure I have not only adequate charge to start with but also possible emergency places to charge. I always carry around a multi voltage EVSE along with various plugs, which luckily haven't had to use in an emergency.
I really like my Leaf and I'd like my next vehicle to also be all electric, well I might go for a plug in hybrid van/suv if thats the only thing available, I really need something even larger than the Leaf, especially for cargo.
P.S. I'd be happy to get 80 miles on my '13 using any forum of forced heat, I think you did good there.

It was also WAY to cramped for my taste and the max 4 seating was a deal breaker. That said it sounds like 2 of my main complaints have been addressed(now 5 pass and longer EV range) but my guess is it may still feel cramped and I'd probably still have to modify things to keep it all electric.

That 5th seating spot in the new Volt is just a flat spot over the "hump" for a child's seat. It is no more useful for seating an adult than the back seat in a Volvo P1800.

Well, at least I know how far I can probably go if I push it in my 2013SV. ;-)

jjeff said:
I'm a little confused. In your sig it says you have a '13 and in your OP you mention '13 but in this post and the title of this thread you talk about 5 years and a '11 :?
We started with a 2011 Leaf. But after the lease was up, we got another Leaf. So now we have a 13 with one year left on the lease.
jjeff said:
When I first got my Leaf I did all kinds of research on possible backup generators to carry around for emergencies, unfortunately I found they weren't really practical.
You know.. I don't know that I'd carry such a thing around. But, it did occur to me yesterday that if I knew somebody nearby that owned such a thing, I could have asked them to bring it over and we could have charged the leaf on L1 for about an hour. That should have given enough juice to make it the additional 3-4 miles I needed to get to the fast charge station. It would be similar to asking a friend to bring you a canister of gasoline.

Well... I have run out of gas at least a half dozen times in my life. And there are an abundance of gas stations almost everywhere. I have always been the type try to go the extra mile. I have also had fuel pumps go out which gives the same result.

To me, going to a hybrid would be taking a back step. Have you gone to any meetings or become involved in any way to promote more charging being built in your area? Do you think you could band together with others to change the trend and help to increase the charging availability in your area for yourself and others?

I have 2 leafs and have taken Leaf 2 to rescue Leaf 1 using an onboard inverter. It works great but L1 takes a while. You know already, but there are L1 outlets everywhere. I hate slow charging when I am out and about even level 2 unless it will be sitting somewhere (movie) for hours. But in a pinch, we are wired for it! What I hate is when I am counting on a QC charger to work and it is broken. It is ridiculous that dealer chargers aren't all accessible after their business hours.

As you have said, the Bolt sounds like a good option in the near term. Model 3 is further out and Gen 2 Leaf might be good for you too.
Gen 2 leaf doesn't look like it will measure up for me as currently designed, because Nissan batteries are not currently designed for hotter climates.

Anyway, maybe you were just blowing off a little frustration and using us as a sounding board while not really needing any of our opinions. Venting can be good sometimes...

Ask a friend to tow. No need for gas generator. No need to wait for flatbed.
Own tne rope. Don't expect others bring it with them.
When I ran out 50 miles away from home and 2 miles away from QC I asked random stranger.
Had no rope. Bought one at nearest gas station. Now it's always with Leaf.

Back