Another Leaf Road Trip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeve

Last April, I drove my 2012 Leaf SL from Decatur, Ga., to Bloomington, In. (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=16493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

For the 4th of July celebration, I decided to drive my 2013 Leaf SL along mostly the same route and back again (the 2012 Leaf stayed in In.). I chronicled my road trip here:

Northbound leg: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.710848768964762.1073741829.100001189352898&type=1&l=0d066e57f8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Southbound leg: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.717164718333167.1073741831.100001189352898&type=1&l=c84257747d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-b

Wow look at those temp bars!!!!! Holy smokes.

I started freaking out when mine hit 7 temp bars I couldn't imagine letting it get that hot.

Hope its a lease.

Travis said:

I started freaking out when mine hit 7 temp bars I couldn't imagine letting it get that hot.

Hope its a lease.

What happens at 12 temp bars? Does the battery blow up or spontaneously combust?

Not a lot of difference between 7 and 10. I rolled into Leavenworth going westbound at 7 temp bars and 4 percent charge, by the time I left I was at 9 bars at 95 percent, and as soon as I accelerated onto hwy 2, it went up to 10 and stayed there. Level 3 charging does that to you.

If the battery gets to critical temperature (I'd have to look in the service manual to refresh my memory on what it is), the vehicle will shut down until the battery sufficiently cools. The practical effect is that as very high temperatures, the degradation of the battery is dramatically accelerated. 10 bars is about 130 degrees.

johnrhansen said:
What happens at 12 temp bars? Does the battery blow up or spontaneously combust?

johnrhansen said:
Travis said:

Hope its a lease.

more likely restricted power.

johnrhansen said:
Travis said:

Hope its a lease.

Never reached 12 bars. :eek:

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnrhansen said:
Travis said:

Hope its a lease.

more likely restricted power.

You are correct, sir. I've heard the term "current limit".

I appreciate all the comments. 11 bars was the highest temp reached, thus the title "gSlate Goes to Eleven".

At 11 bars, the car goes into "current limit" mode, which translates into limited power applied at full or near-full throttle. I discovered this quite by accident, as I pushed the throttle all the way to the floor just to see if the car would move like normal when the battery temp is at 11 bars. It would not. It did, however, exhibit no driveability issues. The car could keep up with traffic and accelerate from stop lights without complaint.

Most of the driving I did through Ga., Tn., and Ky. was on the Interstate, where the car felt quite comfortable at 70+mph. I had to be aware of the use of the throttle and not be too aggressive in order to conserve energy, and learned that cruise control is not useable as it is more aggressive than I was at trying to maintain a set speed.

Perhaps the message "Motor power is limited" will sound familiar. Just like in turtle mode, the system will limit the power supplied to the motor. And you can see this in the pictures, where the acceleration "bubbles" on the right are disappearing. (In that one photo with 4 bubbles missing, there are additional ones absent on the left as well, since regen is limited when the battery is nearly full). Great picture!

I would like to know the effect it has. Does a one time trip like that cause major damage or just a little? Did you use leafspy?

steeve said:
I appreciate all the comments. 11 bars was the highest temp reached, thus the title "gSlate Goes to Eleven".

Thanks for sharing the pictures. That is the kind of trip that many of us consider yet wimp out on.

I have also noticed the cruise control isn't efficient. It is very aggressive about maintaining the speed. Even worse are its attempts to regen while active. You would think the cruise control would behave differently in eco mode.

Travis said:
I would like to know the effect it has. Does a one time trip like that cause major damage or just a little? Did you use leafspy?

steeve said:

Thanks for sharing the pictures. That is the kind of trip that many of us consider yet wimp out on.

I have also noticed the cruise control isn't efficient. It is very aggressive about maintaining the speed. Even worse are its attempts to regen while active. You would think the cruise control would behave differently in eco mode.

I do not know what effect these trips will have. The car continues to perform well, no issues. I did not use Leafspy, although that's an excellent idea.

Back