Any other US based EVs with larger trunk sections?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

[MOD: split off https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22748&start=980#p617423]

Remote heat is why my wife fell in love with our 2013. While she likes the torque, steering wheel heater, and a few other things..its the remote heat still as feature number 1. Even better, remote heat in the garage.

We recently had some work done, and had to live in an apartment for a couple weeks. Wow, starting from (it was cold) 10F to -6F is a whole different power draw situation from a 40-50F garage. The amount of idle power usage was huge. Not such a big deal to charge every few days back at the house, but if it was public charging only..thst would be frustrating.

We have a kid heading off to college in the fall, and wife really wants a larger car to haul. I don't want a new car and additional car payment, but I am not likely to win this debate. It looks like MachE, ID4, EV6, Ionic5, and MY all have about 30 cubic feet in the rear. So about 20% larger than the Leaf. Any other US based EVs with larger trunk sections? (No chance of getting a Rivian or F150 by then, and also well beyond our means). I really don't want to go back to an ice.

Thanks in advance.

DougWantsALeaf said:
[MOD: split off https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22748&start=980#p617423]

Remote heat is why my wife fell in love with our 2013. While she likes the torque, steering wheel heater, and a few other things..its the remote heat still as feature number 1. Even better, remote heat in the garage.

We recently had some work done, and had to live in an apartment for a couple weeks. Wow, starting from (it was cold) 10F to -6F is a whole different power draw situation from a 40-50F garage. The amount of idle power usage was huge. Not such a big deal to charge every few days back at the house, but if it was public charging only..thst would be frustrating.

We have a kid heading off to college in the fall, and wife really wants a larger car to haul. I don't want a new car and additional car payment, but I am not likely to win this debate. It looks like MachE, ID4, EV6, Ionic5, and MY all have about 30 cubic feet in the rear. So about 20% larger than the Leaf. Any other US based EVs with larger trunk sections? (No chance of getting a Rivian or F150 by then, and also well beyond our means). I really don't want to go back to an ice.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure I can just go with straight specs. Shape matters. I would look at the ID 4 if you haven't already. It has decent size in the back and fold down capability that doesn't compromise with jutting interior features.

I vote for the MY. You probably already have seen Ryan's video about the cargo space in the Y, but just for fun. I know I am beating a dead horse, but the charging network is so much easier and more convenient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYMVfWofmic

We are really thinking of upgrading to the Y just for moving things, One in Minnesota and another one heading there next fall, with two more still at home, but with two in college, even on scholarships and two more soon to be we are trying not to spend all our $ on cars :)

Our neighbor has a MY. Rear space is ok, but kind of narrow. With 3 kids, you can't count dropping the rear seats for space. Trunk space in an ID4 is pretty similar to the MY, though more square (both 30 ft^3). Not saying Tesla charging isn't nice, but there are so many DC options in Iowa now, it really doesn't matter much any more for our longer route. Even our mightly Leaf Plus did fine on the 580 mile journey.

Outlander is a bit better, at 34 ft^3 vs 30 in MY and ID4. If we are considering a phev though..might as well look at the Pacifica ...i so don't want an ICE.

I don't think any of the vans are coming soon too the US.

We might be driving to Pueblo, and in west Kansas and west Nebraska the options are more limited. There the Tesla charging would still be an advantage.

Thanks for the input.

LeftieBiker said:
Does used count? I think that the Mercedes EV had more space in back. Not sure, though...

Also on used front -- you didn't mention a top-end budget (other than a new Rivian being too costly) but largest cargo available now would be a used 5-seat Model X. The used B-class EV MBZ would have some additional cargo space over your Leaf or even the older Toyota RAV4 EV (both of these have limited supply and be sure your local dealer is set up to service them - not all do). The used market is pretty crazy still so expect to pay top dollar on the most popular brands/models. If you don't really need the 2nd car all the time you could rent one as well -- we did the college thing years ago and needed a full size minivan to carry all the stuff as both kids lived on campus -- thinking back, stuff would fit in a MX if they offered it back then.

A 5 seat X isn't a bad idea. I wasn't a fan of the back seats, but I am usually the driver. 37 ft^3 is the leader so far. I think you need at least an 85 pack to do any distance. Even then my old boss told me she was jealous I could do North of Chicago to Iowa City in a charge, where she couldn't reach Iowa (Davenport).

DougWantsALeaf said:
Our neighbor has a MY. Rear space is ok, but kind of narrow. With 3 kids, you can't count dropping the rear seats for space.
Did you also look at the cargo space under the rear floor?

Ok, looked up some used Model Xs. The cheapest I could find were 2016 75s for mid 60s. And even those were mainly spoken for..so you couldn't really even count those.

A 2016 75 Model X, is only going to give you about 160 miles on the freeway.

Maybe Rivian is the cheap option forgetting about when you would get it.

Man the Leaf feels like the supreme value option in comparison.

I personally suggest you don't buy a 75. I own a 75 and it's my biggest regret. It's not just the range - maximum SuperCharging rate is is limited because of the 350V (vs. 400V) battery. E.g., my car tops out at 120kW at a 150kW SuperCharger. Cars produced back then don't get more than 150kW even at a new v3 (250kW) SuC.

And I own a Model X in spite of the Falcon Wing doors -- we don't need to use them regularly, so they don't bother me. (although the automatic front doors are really great -- I wish the Model S had them).

IMHO, I think a new Model Y is a much better purchase than a used Model X.

redLEAF said:
Going back to new EV's just came across this from KBB, no Rivian as you still can't buy their SUV just quite yet but interesting to compare just what kind of space you get

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/electric-suvs-cargo-space/
That article doesn't make it quite clear what variant they are talking about. E.g., with the Model X, the amount of space differs greatly in the 5, 6, and 7 seat configurations. Our 5 seat has a great amount of space in the lower rear trunk (below the floor), which you lose in the 6 or 7 seat variant.

And the "Space behind the second row" number in the article seems to ignore that, too. My Model X has nearly twice the space of the Mach-e I drove the Mach-e 2 months ago (I had them next to each other).

jlv said:
redLEAF said:
Going back to new EV's just came across this from KBB, no Rivian as you still can't buy their SUV just quite yet but interesting to compare just what kind of space you get

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/electric-suvs-cargo-space/
That article doesn't make it quite clear what variant they are talking about. E.g., with the Model X, the amount of space differs greatly in the 5, 6, and 7 seat configurations. Our 5 seat has a great amount of space in the lower rear trunk (below the floor), which you lose in the 6 or 7 seat variant.

And the "Space behind the second row" number in the article seems to ignore that, too. My Model X has nearly twice the space of the Mach-e I drove the Mach-e 2 months ago (I had them next to each other).

Thanks for the heads up. A typical comparison article built from random data collected from several sources on the internet seems to be the status quo these days.

Back