Building a 2012 Leaf with 2015 components

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoti

I probably have a weird question... I own a 2012 Leaf SV with almost 100K miles with battery at about 55% (6 bars). The body is in good shape but the OBC (on board charger) failed and the PTC heater failed also(this one a couple years ago - I ran a couple winters with no heat, not fun but the commute is short). I tried repairing both but was unsuccessful, unfortunately, and finally gave up. I thought instead of fixing those to purchase a newer damaged Leaf with better battery and use the 2012 body to repair it. Eventually I won the copart bid on a 2015 SL @ 77K mi and 78% battery. It was hit in the front and totaled but is actually not in bad shape, air bags not blown - the only disappointment is that it's a different color so I'll have to have bumper, hood and passenger fender repainted. Since I have the 2012 components it's more or less take off that and put on the 2015 plus the paint job.

The bummer I just discover is that my insurance, Erie in PA, actually does NOT insure rebuilt titles. I didn't even think that would be the case!
Would someone have input for me? A few options:

1. Rebuild the 2015 and search for another insurance
2. Rebuild the 2015 and sell it - hopefully not loose on it...
3. Take parts off 2015, including traction battery, inverters, OBC (which is on the front on this one), heater etc. and rebuild the old 2012? Is this even an option? Has anyone done it? The 2015 is SL (so leather, Bose sound, heat pump besides the Lizard battery). The 2012 is the light off white color which I don't care for - gets dirty very easily. But aside from these is the work just not worth it?

Thank you for all your comments!

1. or 2. are quite possible, as body panels should mostly fit.

As for 3, that won't be possible as the Leaf was thoroughly re-engineered after 2012, with a different motor (EM57 vs EM61) and the charger moving to the engine motor? bay and direct-to-air heating etc.

Thank you for your input. Yes I didn't really want to go 2015 -> 2012 either and there really isn't any point in that (far too much work if even realistically possible). So will work at repairing the 2015. I took it apart yesterday evening and have it almost ready to receive parts from 2012 so it isn't that bad. It was hit above the bumper bar so the frame and all below it is intact. Basically the headlights, hood, bumper, passenger front fender, radiator (bent) and other smaller items. Should maybe post a photo of it for others to see. Thanks

The headlamp wiring between the 20 12 and 20 15 is different, but the looms on the backs of the lamps can be swapped over, if you need to use them.....and the OBC, as said already, cannot be swapped within sensibility........otherwise I've not yet encountered anything that can't be used across the years.
#NissanLeafPhoenix
#MnMSzerviz

There are actually quite a number of differences regarding front components between 2012 and 2015 (I presume this would include 2013 to 2017). Mine is 2015 though built on 6/14.

I'm not quite finished rebuilding but here is what seems pretty much the same:
- bumper (including fog lights etc.)
- hood
- doors (2015 is noticeably heavier than 2012 - I think the panels on 2015 are steel, while the 2012 are aluminum)
- charging port lid (the lid is the same but the 2015 is an SL with camera at the front and mirrors, hence the Nissan logo is larger to incorporate the camera)
- fender panel (with the exception that the 2012 has a turning signal light, while the 2015 doesn't)
- headlights (The smaller one at the top is the same. The main headlight is mostly the same. It fits alright, but as stated, the wiring is not the same. I presume this is because the 2012 has adjustable headlight height while the 2015 doesn't. Ya, I'm gonna miss that feature. I think I'll just solder the wiring to make it fit, otherwise I could purchase just the loom on ebay)

What is NOT the same (too much! hopefully for better but worse for my pocket...):
- the 2 radiators and fans and all that framework. None of this is the same and was not worth me even trying to use the 2012's. The pump is on the left on 2015 but on the right on 2012 etc. Fans are slightly slimmer on 2015 and the mounts are totally different.
- radiator side brackets and top bracket: F2521-3NFMA, F2520-3NFMA, F2511-3NFMH
- radiator vertical support bracket: F25E2-3NFMA
- the charging port main bracket 62550-3NF0A (probably because it incorporates the light and because the opening is not manually actuated but electronically on the 2015 - 65760-3NK0A).
- charging port cover is not quite the same: 65730-3NF1D and 65737-3NF0B

So far that's what I know. It's been some work, but I'm getting closer to finishing. There are many more differences than I expected. I don't think I would have done it had I realized it, but hopefully at least the 2015's 78% battery over the 2012's 55% will be worth it :)

There are actually quite a number of differences regarding front components between 2012 and 2015 (I presume this would include 2013 to 2017). Mine is 2015 though built on 6/14.

I'm not quite finished rebuilding but here is what seems pretty much the same:
- bumper (including fog lights etc.)
- hood
- doors (2015 is noticeably heavier than 2012 - I think the panels on 2015 are steel, while the 2012 are aluminum)
- charging port lid (the lid is the same but the 2015 is an SL with camera at the front and mirrors, hence the Nissan logo is larger to incorporate the camera)
- fender panel (with the exception that the 2012 has a turning signal light, while the 2015 doesn't)
- headlights (The smaller one at the top is the same. The main headlight is mostly the same. It fits alright, but as stated, the wiring is not the same. I presume this is because the 2012 has adjustable headlight height while the 2015 doesn't. Ya, I'm gonna miss that feature. I think I'll just solder the wiring to make it fit, otherwise I could purchase just the loom on ebay)

What is NOT the same (too much! hopefully for better but worse for my pocket...):
- the 2 radiators and fans and all that framework. None of this is the same and was not worth me even trying to use the 2012's. The pump is on the left on 2015 but on the right on 2012 etc. Fans are slightly slimmer on 2015 and the mounts are totally different.
- radiator side brackets and top bracket: F2521-3NFMA, F2520-3NFMA, F2511-3NFMH
- radiator vertical support bracket: F25E2-3NFMA
- the charging port main bracket 62550-3NF0A (probably because it incorporates the light and because the opening is not manually actuated but electronically on the 2015 - 65760-3NK0A).
- charging port cover is not quite the same: 65730-3NF1D and 65737-3NF0B

So far that's what I know. It's been some work, but I'm getting closer to finishing. There are many more differences than I expected. I don't think I would have done it had I realized it, but hopefully at least the 2015's 78% battery over the 2012's 55% will be worth it :)
Strictly, the hood is different too - the early cars have aluminium hoods, the later ones are steel [as you foound with the doors ...] The steel bonnets are available aftermarket, around half the price of aluminium ones .........
Please don't ask how I know :cool: #NissanLeafPhoenix .......

I probably have a weird question... I own a 2012 Leaf SV with almost 100K miles with battery at about 55% (6 bars). The body is in good shape but the OBC (on board charger) failed and the PTC heater failed also(this one a couple years ago - I ran a couple winters with no heat, not fun but the commute is short). I tried repairing both but was unsuccessful, unfortunately, and finally gave up. I thought instead of fixing those to purchase a newer damaged Leaf with better battery and use the 2012 body to repair it. Eventually I won the copart bid on a 2015 SL @ 77K mi and 78% battery. It was hit in the front and totaled but is actually not in bad shape, air bags not blown - the only disappointment is that it's a different color so I'll have to have bumper, hood and passenger fender repainted. Since I have the 2012 components it's more or less take off that and put on the 2015 plus the paint job.

The bummer I just discover is that my insurance, Erie in PA, actually does NOT insure rebuilt titles. I didn't even think that would be the case!
Would someone have input for me? A few options:

1. Rebuild the 2015 and search for another insurance
2. Rebuild the 2015 and sell it - hopefully not loose on it...
3. Take parts off 2015, including traction battery, inverters, OBC (which is on the front on this one), heater etc. and rebuild the old 2012? Is this even an option? Has anyone done it? The 2015 is SL (so leather, Bose sound, heat pump besides the Lizard battery). The 2012 is the light off white color which I don't care for - gets dirty very easily. But aside from these is the work just not worth it?

Thank you for all your comments!
I'd consider option 3. Yes, the Leaf underwent a lot of modifications but most were to simplify it's drivetrain and charger and the changes are largely swappable. The battery from the 2015 will cure your range and PTC heater issues (use the PTC heating element from the 2015). Replacing the entire drive unit will give a small performance boost and fix your OBC issue (it will also allow an increased charging speed to 6.6kW). The leather seats would be easy to swap and the Bose sound system (IMHO) isn't a whole lot better than the standard sound system. For your application (short commuter), I don't think you need to bother with swapping the heat pump unless you want a real project.

I'd consider option 3. Yes, the Leaf underwent a lot of modifications but most were to simplify it's drivetrain and charger and the changes are largely swappable. The battery from the 2015 will cure your range and PTC heater issues (use the PTC heating element from the 2015). Replacing the entire drive unit will give a small performance boost and fix your OBC issue (it will also allow an increased charging speed to 6.6kW). The leather seats would be easy to swap and the Bose sound system (IMHO) isn't a whole lot better than the standard sound system. For your application (short commuter), I don't think you need to bother with swapping the heat pump unless you want a real project.
Well, at this point, for better or for worse, I've started fixing the 2015 (including painting components). I'll have to chuck it to life experience. It really wasn't worth the cost and headache... Hopefully the 2015 will prove a sweet ride. I like it as a whole and it drives perfectly but yes it will always have the rebuilt title and some battle scars to prove it - repaint job.

This problem with not being able to get insurance for a salvage title is a common one. The way individual states handle a salvage title varies greatly however. Many states have a procedure to convert a salvage title - but others do not. You will want to look into the applicable rules in your state. Retitling the vehicle in another state may even be an option if all else fails.

Well, after about a month (mostly waiting for parts) I was able to get my 2015 in shape and running. It's fun to have a Leaf again and with a bit more mileage. Insurance was actually OK, they wanted to see photos of the car from all angles and that was all. A bit more expensive inspection to rebuild title and a little more paper work, but overall not bad. Not counting my time and donated parts from the old Leaf I have about $6200 in it. Definitely not a 'steal' but I'm OK. If anyone atempts to do it, please note all the differences I mentioned above - basically a LOT of differences in the motor bay, but hood, bumper, fenders are mostly a good fit.

I was surprised that the 2015 seemed to have significant road noise - the tires aren't the best either. But compared to our Odyssey van it was a bit loud. I promply plastered the insides of all door skins with the killmat sound deadening mats and it's better. The whole opperation took about 2 hours.

@TronJockey, I did not know 2012 Leaf seats could be swapped out on later model(s). Do you know if 2012 seats can be swapped out on 2018+ Leafs?
If so, I could expand my search for a Leaf with 40 kWh battery pack. I dislike the recycled plastic seats and had my 2012 SL seats custom leather covered which was arranged by the dealer.

One other note, it's really welcoming to see the regenerative breaking so much improved on the 2015. I don't think I ever saw maximum on the 2012 (even when the battery was better at about 75% SOH) but the 2015 does it no problem and even at 30F cold.

One other note, it's really welcoming to see the regenerative breaking so much improved on the 2015. I don't think I ever saw maximum on the 2012 (even when the battery was better at about 75% SOH) but the 2015 does it no problem and even at 30F cold.
That's because the 2015 battery is in better shape; regen will deteriorate over time just like it did before.
I commend you on the work you put in, but not sure I would have done it for the same size battery pack. The "salvage title" thing should be a red flag for anyone trying to do the same. That's shy I put a 40kWh battery pack from the 2020 salvage Leaf I purchased into my 2011 Leaf, but I realize you had other damage as well.

@TronJockey, I did not know 2012 Leaf seats could be swapped out on later model(s). Do you know if 2012 seats can be swapped out on 2018+ Leafs?
If so, I could expand my search for a Leaf with 40 kWh battery pack. I dislike the recycled plastic seats and had my 2012 SL seats custom leather covered which was arranged by the dealer.
I sold my 2015 a couple years ago so I cannot compare it directly to the seats in my 2019. From what I can see with my 2019 (and what I remember from my 2015), they seem to mount to the floor in the same manner. Heated and electrically adjustable options aside, the seat's mounting seems to be physically similar. The cars interior floor pan doesn't appear to have changed very much so I'd be surprised if the seats weren't transferable. Perhaps someone that has performed this swap will chime in here.

Last edited:
Back