Charging with Solar panel home

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithHawaii

Aloha!
I am wanting to use my 120 V AC charger for my leaf at home. Our rental home here has a solar panel set up that is great for the daytime and I want to charge my leaf in the daytime while the solar is active. Would I have any issues harming the solar arrangement? Does the 120V slow charger draw too much power?
Many mahalos for any info

Aloha back atcha! your rental house will have an inverter that changes the panel's DC to regular AC 120V for household appliances (I suppose? is there a fridge that runs on AC? if not, your place may run on DC and you will not be able to charge the car). The AC side of the inverter is isolated from the DC side (where the panels do their work) so you can not harm the panels. Your car comes with a charging mechanism that draws a certain amount of power (it will say on it how much) and the WORST that can happen is that a breaker will break if you plug the 120V charging system in. Most DC- AC inverters set up for household use can provide more power than your charging system will draw- check your EVSE (the charging thingy) to see how many amps it draws (probably 12 or 16) and most household breakers are at least 15 and usually 20 amps. So, if you have regular 120VAC outlets in the house and the EVSE is a 12 amp model, no problems plugging in at all. If the EVSE is a 16 amp model you will need to check the breakers to see that you are plugging into a 20 amp circuit. BTW you may want to check that the batteries are fully charged for the evening before plugging the car in- if you use all of the day's energy charging the car the batteries may not last you through the nite!

Back