Comparison: Why I Chose a Nissan Leaf Plus over a Tesla Model 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish we could find a deal on a Leaf with a 62kWh battery.
I got a 40kw leaf. The short range basically makes it a city/commuter car. It’s good for things like short to medium commutes (20min or so) and picking up the kids from school and shopping and stuff. If you live in a big city it’s fine. Even great (loving that effectivly $1.25/gal fuel cost) what it wont do is go across town 4 times in a day. It will do 3.5 but not 4. This, combined with phase 1 charging (light socket) has occasionally been a not insurmountable problem. A bit of planning though usually works it out though. I found i was able to commute just fine through a real minnesota winter (to except the last which i find bluntly terrifying) complete with -20f days, horfrost, foot high snow drifts, etc.. unless your in som rural community where the city, to which you have to go to regularly, is a half hour away or something you’ll be fine. You even will if you are in that situation, though youll have to plan your trips more carefully.

Good job. The title isn't making it a hit with the search engine, though, as this site's Search function sucks. If you're willing, I'd like to try a few changes to just the title, so I can see if I can come up with a title that will hit with a title-specific search. Or if you prefer, you can do it. The first version I'd try is "Comparison: Why I Chose a Nissan Leaf over A Tesla Model 3". If you bought a Leaf Plus, then add "Plus" to it. Then, when using the Search function, specify "Titles Only" by checking that box.
I did too. I had planned to buy a used Y (as I won’t fit in a model 3). But during COVID the used price was twice the new price and I wasn’t going to fork over 60k for a used car. This didn’t happen to the leafs though, so I’m driving a leaf.

The 40kWh LEAF had the battery I need in a 50mi/day commuter car with plenty of margin and pretty decent acceleration. A larger battery would just stay over 80% SOC always except for rare road trips, and it's more expensive, 300 lbs heavier, and has a larger CO2 footprint and longer break-even on emissions (and price).

The 40kWh LEAF had the battery I need in a 50mi/day commuter car with plenty of margin and pretty decent acceleration. A larger battery would just stay over 80% SOC always except for rare road trips, and it's more expensive, 300 lbs heavier, and has a larger CO2 footprint and longer break-even on emissions (and price).
I am on my third LEAF. Having a plus (62 kwh) has been a revelation. The extra capacity gives me so much more flexibility and requires less planning for everyday uses. I am not a regular commuter so my use pattern can vary substantially from day to day. And actually the larger battery means that my LEAF spends essentually no time at over 80% SOC - only the occasional longer trip when I depart soon after charging. And I now do no fast charging as I meet my typical needs by charging at home. That has two large advantages. The first is that is more convenient for me (level 2 in the garage) and secondly that is substantially cheaper. Commercial level 3 fast charging is not a good deal financially. And stir into this mix the fact that the prices of lightly used and new LEAF plus models have dropped substantially. Life is good :) . In the interest of full disclosure I'll also comment that we have 2 vehicles in our household (the other is a Prius V). As we have 2 drivers in the household, we had 2 vehicles before EVs and would have 2 vehicles now regardless. The hybrid means we don't need to try to push the LEAF into long distance trips for which it is not well suited.

I am on my third LEAF. Having a plus (62 kwh) has been a revelation. The extra capacity gives me so much more flexibility and requires less planning for everyday uses. I am not a regular commuter so my use pattern can vary substantially from day to day. And actually the larger battery means that my LEAF spends essentually no time at over 80% SOC - only the occasional longer trip when I depart soon after charging. And I now do no fast charging as I meet my typical needs by charging at home. That has two large advantages. The first is that is more convenient for me (level 2 in the garage) and secondly that is substantially cheaper. Commercial level 3 fast charging is not a good deal financially. And stir into this mix the fact that the prices of lightly used and new LEAF plus models have dropped substantially. Life is good :) . In the interest of full disclosure I'll also comment that we have 2 vehicles in our household (the other is a Prius V). As we have 2 drivers in the household, we had 2 vehicles before EVs and would have 2 vehicles now regardless. The hybrid means we don't need to try to push the LEAF into long distance trips for which it is not well suited.
Yeah I thought I was buying a + when I got it. I find The shorter range is adequate for my needs though there are times I wish I had a plus. Adequate is a good word for the non-plus. I personally suspect the shorter range car may not be sold for much longer. No data, just a feeling. It becomes to some degree a question of what battery tech does.

I'm planning a road trip on ABRP. Without a range restriction (aka "Lucid Air GT") it's a 3:40 trip. With a 62kWh LEAF it's 4:00 and with my 40kWh LEAF it's 4:40. I mean an extra hour charging isn't bad for the...uh... $87,000 difference. Maybe the Lucid is a bit more quick and stylish....erm...

I'm planning a road trip on ABRP. Without a range restriction (aka "Lucid Air GT") it's a 3:40 trip. With a 62kWh LEAF it's 4:00 and with my 40kWh LEAF it's 4:40. I mean an extra hour charging isn't bad for the...uh... $87,000 difference. Maybe the Lucid is a bit more quick and stylish....erm...
The biggest problem is chadmo. You basically have to hop from Nissan dealer to Nissan dealer. It’s possible but slow.

We got our first Leaf in 2014, a used 2013 car. We replaced it with a used 2017 Leaf in 2020, just before Covid changed things. This spring we traded the 2017 for a used low mileage 2023 SV+. The 2017 had lost almost 1/3 of its battery capacity so the SV+ gives us almost 3 times the driving range. I have tried various Tesla models and have found them (and the Chevy Bolt) to be uncomfortable or awkward to sit in or to get in and out of. The seating of the Tesla X is better, but the X is out of my budget. I don't like the controls and obtrusive video display of the Teslas, either. Our first Leaf replaced a VW Golf that was converted to electric and used lead acid batteries and had a 20 mile range on a good day, so the Leaf was a great improvement back then.
We find that the interior space of the Leaf suits us well when hauling things from the hardware store or lumber yard. I can carry a couple of 8 foot 2x4s or 10 foot conduit with the hatchback closed, and longer things can stick out without worrying about exhaust gasses getting back into the car.
We're very happy with our SV+.

Back