Dealer's unbelievable trade-in offer...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveMy18Leaf

I've enjoyed every single mile in my 18 Leaf, but wish it had more range or CCS compatibility.

While charging at a dealer last week, a sales associate invited me to look at their new releases. He even had some low-mileage CCS EV's that could fit my need.

He started to run the numbers, but then stopped with the news that my 65,000 mile leaf was only worth $4k. No accidents, 92% SOH, and shiny clean in-out.

How did I lose 82% of the value in 2 years? So KBB confirmed - my leaf is worth less than a rusty 2010 RAV4, or same value as a 2005 Vibe.

What in the world????

My owned since new 2018 Leaf has over 100,000 miles and has served me very well for the purpose it was purchased for: a 40 mile daily commute and loads of day and overnight trips within the range of the battery. The Leaf excels for this purpose, and I am located in a climate favourable to the health of a non-liquid cooled battery. Unfortunately the Leaf’s passively cooled battery, relatively short range by modern standards, the slow charging speed of Chademo and Nissan’s inability to provide replacement batteries have made the Leaf into the red headed stepchild of the EV market in NA. On the bright side, the lower resale value of The Leaf makes it an affordable introductory EV provided the purchaser knows the limitations and can live within them. If your Leaf still suits your lifestyle, don’t be concerned about its lack of resale value. It will most likely provide you with many more years of low cost and ultra low maintenance transportation.

If your Leaf still suits your lifestyle, don’t be concerned about its lack of resale value

Therein lies the rub. He wants more range and better charging -- like most of the market. Makes for a poor resale market when demand is low and supply is high.

---
I leased my most recent EV, my first lease ever. I thought it likely that I would want a different (or no) vehicle in 3 years so I turned my usual advice against leases upside down. In the meantime EV prices are trending down rapidly, which makes my lease a fine hedge. I didn't really much plan it that way, although I figured that truck EV prices would drop quite a bit in 3 years.

I've enjoyed every single mile in my 18 Leaf, but wish it had more range or CCS compatibility.

While charging at a dealer last week, a sales associate invited me to look at their new releases. He even had some low-mileage CCS EV's that could fit my need.

He started to run the numbers, but then stopped with the news that my 65,000 mile leaf was only worth $4k. No accidents, 92% SOH, and shiny clean in-out.

How did I lose 82% of the value in 2 years? So KBB confirmed - my leaf is worth less than a rusty 2010 RAV4, or same value as a 2005 Vibe.

What in the world????
Interesting price, the dealer sold you the Leaf for exactly $22,222.22. They must have been having fun with numbers on that day. ;)

You paid more for your Leaf in 2022 than my wife paid in 2020 for her 2018 SL. You may have bought it when used car prices were insane those last few years. The problem is, this isn't a Leaf issue or EV issue, but all vehicles issue. When used car prices were nearly the same as new car prices, anyone buying a used anything was going to lose out in the long run when used car prices came crashing down if they didn't sell before-hand.

Another issue is dealers are mostly looking at the miles, they have no idea how to factory in the battery health. My Leaf has over +84K miles but the battery is still strong as ever but I'm sure it's value would be rock bottom as well to the non-technical person. Finally, the dealership is always going to under-price your trade in because they have to make a profit too.

When I traded in my +78K miles 2013 Leaf, the battery SOH was 72.11%. I dealer gave me $6K on trade-in. They sold the very same Leaf on their lot in only 2 days for more than they gave me, roughly $10K. Whoever bought my old Leaf I sure hope they only needed a short range EV, but at least it was mechanically sound the battery was in the best condition that it could be for it's age and usage conditions. No failed cells to worry about, everything in perfect working order including a hitch upgrade. ;)

If you have the time, your best bet is private sell. Someone who knows the difference between a good battery and questionable battery isn't going to be worry about the miles provided that it's all mechanically sound. No failing axles, or weird clunk noises, etc.

Last edited:
My owned since new 2018 Leaf has over 100,000 miles and has served me very well for the purpose it was purchased for: a 40 mile daily commute and loads of day and overnight trips within the range of the battery. The Leaf excels for this purpose, and I am located in a climate favourable to the health of a non-liquid cooled battery. Unfortunately the Leaf’s passively cooled battery, relatively short range by modern standards, the slow charging speed of Chademo and Nissan’s inability to provide replacement batteries have made the Leaf into the red headed stepchild of the EV market in NA. On the bright side, the lower resale value of The Leaf makes it an affordable introductory EV provided the purchaser knows the limitations and can live within them. If your Leaf still suits your lifestyle, don’t be concerned about its lack of resale value. It will most likely provide you with many more years of low cost and ultra low maintenance transportation.

You make some great points. Based on the full insurance rates being higher than any of our other vehicles, our first instinct is to drop to liability only. Our son starts driving in a few months, so could be a good reliable car for him.

Both of our Leafs are also serving us flawlessly! I look at a vehicle as a tool to use in my life and not as an investment. Therefore, I will keep them for the purposes I bought them (work transportation) until they finally are deceased. So, the resale value has no effect on me and, in fact, may help others upgrade to a newer model or even make an entry move into EVs versus investing 30K or more as an experiment.

Both of our Leafs are also serving us flawlessly! I look at a vehicle as a tool to use in my life and not as an investment. Therefore, I will keep them for the purposes I bought them (work transportation) until they finally are deceased. So, the resale value has no effect on me and, in fact, may help others upgrade to a newer model or even make an entry move into EVs versus investing 30K or more as an experiment.

Great to hear. This is my 2nd leaf. First one was in accident. Totaled due to battery compartment damage. Took the check and bought this one.

It’s really been flawless so far, guess we’ll just drive it until it’s more expensive to repair than replace.

What in the world????
Don't believe it. NEVER TRUST A DEALER. Go to the CARGURUS website and search for Nissan Leafs. You'll see far less attractive pre-2015 SV Leafs often going for over $10,000 and "like new" 2018 SV and newer Leafs going for well over $18,000. You're being lied to. I found this out the hard way last Summer when I let my very clean 2015 SV (62k miles and 84% SOH), go for $9000 to one of those "Cash for Cars" websites. I later saw it offered for $14,900. Don't be fooled. There's far more interest in these cars than dealers will let you in on. Many new car dealerships are attempting to discourage EV's because they represent a threat to their Parts & Services department profits of which ICE vehicles are an integral part. According to the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) website over 40% of a dealership's total profits come from the sales of Parts and Services along with F & I products. This is made possible by the increased profits from the greater maintenance and repair needs of gasoline and diesel vehicles. Drive by any dealership and observe the long lines of gasoline and diesel vehicles that form in front of their service bay doors every morning. Just the oil changes and extra brake service that gasoline and diesel vehicles require makes Big $$$ for dealerships. Throw in the fuel injection service, coolant flushes and replacing those O2 sensors that are constantly failing and you can see why dealers have little interest in selling EV's. Dealerships know they won't be able to continue extorting money from EV owners the way they do ICE vehicle owners. Dealers and their employees can often be found on-line trolling the comment forums under EV articles spreading misinformation. I've even noticed a few of them trolling these forums and making apparently objective comments that are really nothing more than gaslighting.

Update: I stand corrected (at least about the 2015 and earlier Leafs). It does look like early Leafs S and SV have seen significant drops in price over the last 6 months. 2018 and newer S, SV and SL are still holding their value but all versions of 2015 and earlier Leafs are becoming real bargains with many available now for well under $10k.

Last edited:
We live in Oregon where EV's, at least in the Portland area, seem popular. Sales have slowed down as People want something for nothing here. The State had a $2500 tax credit towards a new EV. That money ran out. To the point: My good friend in southern Oregon got a Dealer license to buy cars at auction. He didn't tell me until I asked this weekend about EV's. He says they typically don't sell well in Southern Oregon. He did tell me he bought a 2020 Grey LEAF SL Plus at auction for $4000 after all the fees. The Car had 22K miles. He said there was not a lot of interest in the Leaf that particular day. He bought it on a Friday and sold it the next day for $15k which from what I can tell was a deal. But for him he didn't care. Made an easy $11K overnight. I kind of wish he'd told me about the Car as for $15k, I may have bought it. They ask a lot for a used Leaf here and many pay the price.

Interesting price, the dealer sold you the Leaf for exactly $22,222.22. They must have been having fun with numbers on that day. ;)

You paid more for your Leaf in 2022 than my wife paid in 2020 for her 2018 SL. You may have bought it when used car prices were insane those last few years. The problem is, this isn't a Leaf issue or EV issue, but all vehicles issue. When used car prices were nearly the same as new car prices, anyone buying a used anything was going to lose out in the long run when used car prices came crashing down if they didn't sell before-hand.

Another issue is dealers are mostly looking at the miles, they have no idea how to factory in the battery health. My Leaf has over +84K miles but the battery is still strong as ever but I'm sure it's value would be rock bottom as well to the non-technical person. Finally, the dealership is always going to under-price your trade in because they have to make a profit too.

When I traded in my +78K miles 2013 Leaf, the battery SOH was 72.11%. I dealer gave me $6K on trade-in. They sold the very same Leaf on their lot in only 2 days for more than they gave me, roughly $10K. Whoever bought my old Leaf I sure hope they only needed a short range EV, but at least it was mechanically sound the battery was in the best condition that it could be for it's age and usage conditions. No failed cells to worry about, everything in perfect working order including a hitch upgrade. ;)

If you have the time, your best bet is private sell. Someone who knows the difference between a good battery and questionable battery isn't going to be worry about the miles provided that it's all mechanically sound. No failing axles, or weird clunk noises, etc.

Lol - the 82% was a rounded number. Car cost close to $22k with taxes. A good deal 2 years ago, so I thought ;-)

We live in Oregon where EV's, at least in the Portland area, seem popular. Sales have slowed down as People want something for nothing here. The State had a $2500 tax credit towards a new EV. That money ran out. To the point: My good friend in southern Oregon got a Dealer license to buy cars at auction. He didn't tell me until I asked this weekend about EV's. He says they typically don't sell well in Southern Oregon. He did tell me he bought a 2020 Grey LEAF SL Plus at auction for $4000 after all the fees. The Car had 22K miles. He said there was not a lot of interest in the Leaf that particular day. He bought it on a Friday and sold it the next day for $15k which from what I can tell was a deal. But for him he didn't care. Made an easy $11K overnight. I kind of wish he'd told me about the Car as for $15k, I may have bought it. They ask a lot for a used Leaf here and many pay the price.
Interestingly enough, I purchased my current '19 SL Plus through Platt Auto last year with only a bit over 500 miles on the clock. It was literally like new. Its story was that it was a lease return in Southern Oregon that was sold at auction, then purchased by Platt. There are some good deals out there. That is especially true as many turn away from the LEAF due to its likely replacement in the Nissan lineup in the next 2 or 3 years and the end of CHAdeMO in the US. The car was a good buy IMO, was eligible for the $4000 used EV rebate, and I got a good trade-in on my '16 LEAF S. Win/win/win.

Dooglas, I'd get another LEAF if I could get a Plus model. We liked our 2020 but the ranges was inadequate. A Plus model would meet 95% of our requirements. Maybe my friend can find me one, fingers crossed.

Back