How do I get the charge timing I want?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgeliot

My electricity supplier charges based on time of day, so I want to do my charging either on the weekend, or before 1pm, or after 7pm on a weekday. In my leaf, I have set timer 1 to be 7pm to 1pm Monday - Friday, and timer 2 to be 12pm to 12pm Saturday and Sunday. I've been using this for quite a while and it seemed to work fine. But just this week I realized that I ran an errand early Monday morning and then plugged it in (around 9am), and when I came back to the car at 3pm, it hadn't charged any.

I'm guessing that the timer mechanism determined that it wasn't after 7pm on a weekday, so it shouldn't turn on.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to get the timing I want?

Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, you just need to press the Timer Override button on the lower left side of the dashboard in situations like that. Do I misunderstand the issue? I'm not sure, though, if the timer will still end charging as scheduled, in that case...

LeftieBiker said:
If I understand you correctly, you just need to press the Timer Override button on the lower left side of the dashboard in situations like that. Do I misunderstand the issue? I'm not sure, though, if the timer will still end charging as scheduled, in that case...

Indeed yes I could use the override, but I was hoping to avoid that. I don't want to have to remember to do that, and I'd prefer that it stop charging at 1pm.
In other words, I want the same behavior on Monday morning that I get Tuesday - Friday mornings.

tgeliot said:
My electricity supplier charges based on time of day, so I want to do my charging either on the weekend, or before 1pm, or after 7pm on a weekday. In my leaf, I have set timer 1 to be 7pm to 1pm Monday - Friday, and timer 2 to be 12pm to 12pm Saturday and Sunday. I've been using this for quite a while and it seemed to work fine. But just this week I realized that I ran an errand early Monday morning and then plugged it in (around 9am), and when I came back to the car at 3pm, it hadn't charged any.

I'm guessing that the timer mechanism determined that it wasn't after 7pm on a weekday, so it shouldn't turn on.

Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to get the timing I want?

Thanks.
I have a similar rate structure only my weekday off-peak times are 8:00 pm to 3:00 pm (peak hours are 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm Monday through Friday). I always set the stop times 10 minutes before peak starts and start times 10 minutes after off-peak starts to avoid peak charges in case the clock in the car is not synchronized with the clock in the revenue meter. I also use 24-hour time on the car clock to minimize the possibility of confusion, but will give you both 12- and 24-hour times. In your case, you need to set the two timers as follows:
Timer 1 start at 7:10 pm (19:10) and end at 12:50 pm (12:50).
Timer 2 start at 7:10 pm (19:10) and end at 7:10 pm (19:10).
Enable Timer 1 for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Enable Timer 2 for Friday and Saturday.

Back