"Hyundai Motor Co., it seems, is betting on everything."

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Some hints about the near-total unknown of Hyundai's BEV, now only ~a year out.

A compliance car, built on the hybrid platform, which doesn't sound all that promising as a groundbreaking BEV to me, but I'm still hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Hyundai, Kia spread their hybrid bets

7 electrified vehicles on tap

Toyota bet on hybrids like the Prius. Nissan bet on electric vehicles like the Leaf. And General Motors bet, initially at least, on plug-in hybrids like the Chevrolet Volt.

Hyundai Motor Co., it seems, is betting on everything.

Between the 2016 and 2018 model years, Hyundai and Kia will launch four hybrids, two plug-in hybrids and an electric car in the U.S., according to sources familiar with the Korean brands' product plans. The sibling brands will launch their first dedicated hybrids as 2017 models, with each sporting a unique, aerodynamic body style.

"They're doing hybrids, they're doing PHEVs, they're doing pure battery electrics," said Ed Kim, vice president of industry analysis at automotive consultancy AutoPacific and a former product planner at Hyundai. "They're basically throwing darts at the wall, preparing for the future by having expertise in all of these types of vehicles."

On top of that, Hyundai is leasing a hydrogen-fueled version of its Tucson crossover and has examined bringing a diesel engine to the U.S., further preparing the Korean automaker to seize on any shift away from gasoline.

...Hyundai's new hybrid platform was designed for all-electric variants. Hyundai, which doesn't currently sell an EV, will add one for the 2017 model year. Kia, which currently offers an EV based on its Soul subcompact, isn't expected to offer a second.

Hyundai has encouraged its dealers to invest in charging stations for the new EV and plug-in hybrids, said Adam Kraushaar, president of Lester Glenn Hyundai in Toms River, N.J. The automaker also signaled that the EV rollout will be confined to states such as California that mandate sales of zero-emission vehicles...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150810/OEM05/308109953/hyundai-kia-spread-their-hybrid-bets

Would be nice if they were smart and used the millions they used to develop fuel cell and used that to develop a variety of EVs instead. Hybrid isn't needed now, so if they had a crystal ball they could have delayed that.

Back