I couldn't unlock my car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

There's probably a thread somewhere on this, but I couldn't find it. Today I went running at the park and got back to the car in the parking lot. As I started to enter my car (2011 blue Leaf) I saw that two elderly (meaning anyone 5+ years older than me) were getting in the car to the immediate left of mine. I waited for the man to get in the passenger side and close his door, and then I squeezed in the narrow space to get in my car. Only my car wouldn't let me in. The men next to me were waiting for me to get in so they could back out, since I was right next to their car. I assumed the battery on my fob was dead. I pulled it from the pocket in my running shorts and held it right against the lock and tried again. Still no luck. I pushed the unlock button -- nothing. I decided to get out of the way of the other so I walked around to the other side and tried the passenger door. Still nothing. My cell phone was locked in the car along with my wallet. All I had on me was my shorts, shirts, shoes and socks and key fob. I knew my wife was hiking with friends and wouldn't be able even get a message, much less drive over with her key. I started to panic. The car next to mine backed out and left. I thought about using the metal key to unlock the door at least, but that wouldn't start the car. I kept pushing the fob buttons and suddenly the emergency alarm went off. I must have accidentally hit that button by mistake. That was a good sign. I hit the unlock button and the honking stopped. So it must be able to sense my fob. Then it occurred to me that the honking wasn't as loud as I had remembered. I looked at the license plate and realized it wasn't my car. Immediately on the other side of now-empty parking slot next to mine was a large SUV that totally obscured my car, which was just on the other side. I had approached from the direction that blocked my view of my car, of course. The one I was trying to enter, three slots closer, looked identical in every obvious way, but I should have noticed that it looked cleaner than mine and the white HOV decals were on straighter. :oops:

Happened to me once only it was an F150, and not only did it unlock it started too!

Drove back to the parking lot and shared a good laugh and WTF with the real owner then we switched back to our respective vehicles!

Talk about odds! lots of things are hugely improbable till they happen!

This was rather predictable, I suppose, since blue Leafs are as numerous as autumn leaves around here. I see two or three on average any time I go out driving around on an errand. Blue was the most common color for the 2011's. I don't know if they are now. I've seen other twins of mine at that park many times before, but this time was different because 1) it wasn't there when I parked; 2) it was only three spots away from mine; 3) a large SUV was between the Leafs blocking the view; and 4) the row I'd parked in happened to be end on to the direction of the trailhead, so I approached along the row instead of at an angle where I could see all the cars.

XeonPony said:
Happened to me once only it was an F150, and not only did it unlock it started too!

Drove back to the parking lot and shared a good laugh and WTF with the real owner then we switched back to our respective vehicles!

Talk about odds! lots of things are hugely improbable till they happen!

Haha! Something similar happened to my college roommate. He had a Volkswagon Scirocco , as did another guy in the dorm- both the same color & model year. My roomate's key unlocked and started the other guy's car also. hahaha He was in it and started it before he realized it wasn't his.

I have done this 2-3 times before which is a bit harder for me to do since I have custom Seattle Seahawk license plates and decals...

Back