Is there a NACS to chadmo adapter out yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombastinator2

It would be real nice if I could get an adaptor to hook my car up to the Tesla supercharging network. Especially since things seem to be moving from css to nacs

Unlikely. And likely you don't really want one. Unless you like risky things.

Oh, is possible. There is a CCS2 to Chademo adapter you can get from China. No clue if they have a CCS1 (North America) version yet, but that's mostly a connector change. J3400 (also known as NACS) to CCS is just a connector change as well. J3400 uses CCS signaling.

Not a chance any such toy from China is UL listed.

It would be real nice if I could get an adaptor to hook my car up to the Tesla supercharging network. Especially since things seem to be moving from css to nacs
Even if you have an adapter, pretty sure Tesla has not approved Leaf for access to their Network.

Even if you have an adapter, pretty sure Tesla has not approved Leaf for access to their Network.
They are apparently preparing to do just that. Though Nissan and a few small companies that don’t exist may be left out in the cold. My concept is based on that not happening though

If you use a CCS to ChaDeMo adapter then you can already use a Tesla charging station that have the adapters already built in, it would just be an adapter nightmare to look at. 🤣

But in theory, it would work....
I would be the first to try it if I was brave enough to order the adapters from China. :LOL:

If you use a CCS to ChaDeMo adapter then you can already use a Tesla charging station that have the adapters already built in, it would just be an adapter nightmare to look at. 🤣

But in theory, it would work....
I would be the first to try it if I was brave enough to order the adapters from China. :LOL:
I get the I’m impression that those adaptors (dungdong or something. Wow is that inauspicious in English) are still a bit beta and they’re putting them out with USB connectors to collect data from. Or at least they were. I don’t know how old my information is. Makes me wonder: leafspy runs off Bluetooth OR wifi, and it’s plus for leafs. One would assume there are other apps for other vehicles. Do they ALL use the same type of dongle? It seems to be something of a standard. If so instead of a usb the install some Bluetooth, and it could communicate through that. No wires or weirdness required. Putting it through UL is probably a good idea too. That way if one DOES explode it doesn’t take all of US operations with it. And also I don’t pay money for electrical stuff that isn’t UL. I don’t want to catch fire either. Not liking being set on fire is strangely common.

Last edited:
That’s how dungdong(sp?) was/is doing it iirc. USBC. Though one could simply vampire off the charge I suppose. Probably still need a port for top ups though. Maybe a Bluetooth dongle there? Would allow all sorts of simultaneous stuff, they can be gotten more or less as a commodity these days. The name was so funny I mentioned it to my sister. Her comment was “wow. That’s so bad it’s almost good again”

Though one could simply vampire off the charge I suppose.

The battery is needed to start the charge. If the battery ever was too discharged to start a charge, then a DC to DC converter could never get the HV needed to recharge the battery. So some other means of charging the battery is needed. A DC to DC "vampire" would be useful especially with longer charge times to maintain the adapter battery charge level. As well as dealing with various other issues.

The battery is needed to start the charge. If the battery ever was too discharged to start a charge, then a DC to DC converter could never get the HV needed to recharge the battery. So some other means of charging the battery is needed. A DC to DC "vampire" would be useful especially with longer charge times to maintain the adapter battery charge level. As well as dealing with various other issues.
I’m not implying that no battery would be needed. Rechargeable batteries make sense in this instance.

What if the batteries get discharged?
You top them up presumably. If a lithium battery, much like a lead acid battery discharges too far it becomes non-rechargable and the battery has to be replaced. AFAIK this only happens if fail-safes don’t work though. I don’t think some sort of electrical connector can be avoided entirely. If there were some bluetooth on that loop though, it could do a lot of stuff. a removable plug could be put in the end of the connector, and it would then become only an emergency charge port. A Bluetooth pcb is only a couple bucks at most these days. Maybe even cheaper than a cord. Less metal. If it’s something only for emergencies a cheaper system like microUSB2 could be used. MicroUSB2 has problems with number of inserts so currently USBC makes more sense, but if it was occasional use only one might be able to get away with one. MocroUSB2 is a ton cheaper than USBC, especially if it’s power only.

Last edited:
Is there a way to register a Leaf with Tesla so that, if one did have such an adapter, the Supercharger would recognize the Leaf?

Is there a way to register a Leaf with Tesla so that, if one did have such an adapter, the Supercharger would recognize the Leaf?
Its complicated. There are many threads out there explaining that there are different Superchargers, different communications, etc. When they retroactively make cars like the 2023 Bolt able to access Superchargers, I believe the cars will still have to validate themselves before the Supercharger will allow charging. Probably the PLC as described here: https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/demystifying-the-transition-to-nacs.51322/ https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/7663364/ .

... I believe the cars will still have to validate themselves before the Supercharger will allow charging. ...
Exactly. So, I ask again, can one register a Leaf with Tesla so as to be able to charge at a supercharger? If Tesla can't recognize the car, so as to be able to charge (bill) the owner for the electricity provided, the supercharger isn't going to charge the car.

Exactly. So, I ask again, can one register a Leaf with Tesla so as to be able to charge at a supercharger? If Tesla can't recognize the car, so as to be able to charge (bill) the owner for the electricity provided, the supercharger isn't going to charge the car.
TLDNR: pointless speculation

Hmm.. if I was Tesla what I might do is have leaf owners buy a nacs to chadmo adaptor FROM THEM that has the validation crap in it.
It would be ‘spensive.

I doubt this is possible. The car doesn't talk directly to the Supercharger or to Tesla's payment network.

You might be able to get an adapter that would pretend to be a car that was recognized by Tesla's network. This would either an adapter bought from Tesla, or would be based on the digital ID of a wrecked car, or based on the digital ID of another car you own. All of these would have some significant issues. Notice that the adapter is what is pretending to be the car being charged.

Why would Tesla sell such an adapter? LEAF is not a large market, lots of technical risk, ...

If you had an adapter that pretended to be some other car than a LEAF, Tesla might take legal offense. And so might the maker of the cloned car.

Back