Is This Guy Nuts?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7z6lHW4vzk[/youtube]

Because surely I'm supposed to trust my elected officials over some guy on the internet, right?

Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:42 AM
To: AndyH
Subject: Thank You For Contacting My Office

Dear AndyH:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency’s greenhouse gas endangerment finding. I appreciate having the benefit of your views on this matter.

In April 2007, the U.S. Supreme Court concluded in Massachusetts v. EPA that carbon dioxide and greenhouse gases may be regulated under the Clean Air Act (CAA). In response to this decision, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a finding on December 7, 2009, that the present concentrations of greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, constitute an endangerment to public health and welfare. A second EPA finding concluded that emissions from new motor vehicles and their engines also endanger public health, and therefore are also subject to regulation under the CAA. I am pleased that our nation’s air quality has steadily improved since implementation of the CAA; however, I remain concerned that the treatment of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, as pollutants under the CAA is a disservice to the American people and misrepresents the legislative intent of the Act.

I support efforts to improve our nation's air quality based on sound scientific and economic principles. However, any decisions regarding how to control greenhouse gas emissions should take into consideration the impact these costly regulations will have on stakeholders, including states, industries, and citizens. Furthermore, it is essential that this process is transparent and accountable to all Americans, and I strongly believe that Congress is the most appropriate forum to review the scope and magnitude of the impact that the EPA's endangerment finding would have on our economy.

To this end, I am a co-sponsor of the Defending America's Affordable Energy and Jobs Act (S. 228), which would prevent the EPA from implementing its greenhouse gas regulations or any substantially similar regulations. Empowering unelected bureaucrats to impose a new national energy tax on American families is unacceptable, and I look forward to a full and open policy debate as the Senate continues its work on this matter.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,
JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

Nuts in what sense? It sounded like a well written and carefully considered response to me... I don't agree with him, but that doesn't make him nuts. Yes, the regulations will undoubtedly cost lots of money - most good things do. :)

Cornyn? No, he's not nuts, he just wants to make sure that his buddies in the Oil and Gas industry can keep on raping the world for the foreseeable future.

John Cornyn has received $576,550 in oil contributions during the 110th congress. $140,300 of those dollars were from industry PACS. In total, Cornyn has accepted $1,404,275 from oil companies since from 2000 to 2008, which makes him one of the top recipients of oil money. In addition to oil money, Cornyn has accepted $54,400 in coal contributions during the 110th congress. $47,000 of those dollars were from industry PACS.

AndyH said:
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:42 AM
To: AndyH
Subject: Thank You For Contacting My Office

<snip>
and I strongly believe that Congress is the most appropriate forum to review the scope and magnitude of the impact that the EPA's endangerment finding would have on our economy.

To this end, I am a co-sponsor of the Defending America's Affordable Energy and Jobs Act (S. 228), which would prevent the EPA from implementing its greenhouse gas regulations or any substantially similar regulations. Empowering unelected bureaucrats to impose a new national energy tax on American families is unacceptable, and I look forward to a full and open policy debate as the Senate continues its work on this matter.
<snip>

While I don't completely disagree with the Senator, congress clearly doesn't have the balls to do something about the problem except talk about it, and the EPA clearly wants to improve our environment. The EPA has my vote.

I like the video!

I'm with you on the Senator. :(

I've sent a number of short letters to both Sen. Cornyn and Sen. Hutchison and get similar 'party line' answers. Additionally, I've sent different letters on the same subject and get the exact same response - as if they (their staffers, I guess) use the same form letter each time. (EPA/Emissions? Send a 12A. Health care repeal? That's a 1F. Oh, the things politicians have learned from Chinese restaurant menus...)

As for Mr. Craven - I'm a fan. And that's depressing. Because this climate-tipping-point-thing isn't looking good for the 'home team' as business-as-usual retains the momentum. :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ[/youtube]

Thanks for being here, folks. And thanks for helping me understand.

Andy

AndyH said:
As for Mr. Craven - I'm a fan. And that's depressing. Because this climate-tipping-point-thing isn't looking good for the 'home team' as business-as-usual retains the momentum. :(

I had never heard of Mr. Craven before this thread. Thanks! And now I've watched hours of his videos since yesterday! OK, OK, so I'm stuck on the other side of the country from home in a hotel room at night...and clearly don't have a life!

Bill

AndyH said:
I've sent a number of short letters to both Sen. Cornyn and Sen. Hutchison and get similar 'party line' answers

Thanks for pointing out the entertaining videos, and the important messages they present. Perhaps the videos should be sent to your two senators to educate them. Or at the very least, educate their staff who may still be receptive to learning something that can affect their future when they leave the senators' office.

linkim said:
AndyH said:
I've sent a number of short letters to both Sen. Cornyn and Sen. Hutchison and get similar 'party line' answers

Thanks for pointing out the entertaining videos, and the important messages they present. Perhaps the videos should be sent to your two senators to educate them. Or at the very least, educate their staff who may still be receptive to learning something that can affect their future when they leave the senators' office.
I'm open for suggestions on how to get a personal response from an official - please share if you have any and care to leave some here!

So far the best I've gotten is a bunch of copies of the same response letter. :?

Electric4Me said:
I had never heard of Mr. Craven before this thread. Thanks! And now I've watched hours of his videos since yesterday! OK, OK, so I'm stuck on the other side of the country from home in a hotel room at night...and clearly don't have a life!

Bill
Been there, done that and grok fully! :lol: Glad to help with entertainment. ;)

AndyH said:
I'm open for suggestions on how to get a personal response from an official - please share if you have any and care to leave some here!

Andy,
I don't have a simple answer, and I am a novice at interacting with elected representatives.

One time consuming way is to make an appointment and visit your US senator at his/her office to discuss the issue. I have visited my congressional rep in his district office and also talked to his aide in Washington DC during a business trip. Our congressman is pretty well tuned into the issues with the environment/cleantech etc. so he doesn't need to be informed. Certainly your efforts are more difficult where you live.

Good luck.

In a big state like California, getting to a US Senator is probably pretty hopeless, unless you are willing to invest a lot of money. But getting to spend time with a Representative is relatively easy. Get on their mailing list, even if (or perhaps especially if) you don't agree with their policies. You'll get announcements of forums, luncheons, receptions, etc. in your area. You may have to donate something to attend, but it will be well worth it, especially if it is a fairly small affair. Ideal situation: someone opens their home for a meeting. Sure, you will be pressured to make a large donation there, but you don't have to, and you will almost certainly have a chance to bend the Congressman's ear for a few minutes. Come prepared!

Ray

planet4ever said:
In a big state like California, getting to a US Senator is probably pretty hopeless, unless you are willing to invest a lot of money. But getting to spend time with a Representative is relatively easy. Get on their mailing list, even if (or perhaps especially if) you don't agree with their policies. You'll get announcements of forums, luncheons, receptions, etc. in your area. You may have to donate something to attend, but it will be well worth it, especially if it is a fairly small affair. Ideal situation: someone opens their home for a meeting. Sure, you will be pressured to make a large donation there, but you don't have to, and you will almost certainly have a chance to bend the Congressman's ear for a few minutes. Come prepared!

Ray

My experience with our congressman is that money is not a requirement to get access, although that may be the biggest driver to get his attention. Our congressman attends many local functions which allow voters to get his attention (sometimes). In fact my daughter talked to our congressman at Dulles International, and he gave her a ride to DC in his Prius. I think part of the problem is the attitude of the representative and what he/she thinks is the most important to get reelected. In our district, there is a strong mindset for clean tech and concern for the environment, and our congressman acknowledges and endorses these issues.

Perhaps the solution is to buy our elected representatives a hybrid, plugin hybrid or EV, and tell them to dump their Hummer (Arnold S. where are you?)

Back