Jaguar C-X75 More EV than Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

http://www.sae.org/mags/AEI/8934

Range extended EV Jag uses four in-wheel motors for pure EV drive

19KWh battery
~70 mile range
0-62mph in 3.4 seconds

Most electric vehicles and concepts displayed at the 2010 Paris Motor Show were based around low-production-cost models, which means a single drive motor. For its C-X75 concept, Jaguar took a far more experimental approach. The car is based around a two-seat high-performance coupe built using Jaguar’s aluminum spaceframe construction. The drive system is based around a range-extender plug-in hybrid-electric architecture. The electric drive system uses wheel motors in each wheel to give four-wheel drive with torque-vectoring capability.

“Having it as a pure EV, we don’t think is viable because you’d have to stack the car from front to back with batteries,” Tony Harper, head of research and advanced system engineering at Jaguar told AEI. “Even then, you wouldn’t get much more than a 200 mi range and certainly not if you tried to drive it as a supercar. So we looked to size the battery at about a 70-mi range, which covers what most people do with a car most of the time. In capacity terms, it’s about a 19-kW·h battery.

“But we want this to be a supercar both in terms of its performance and its range," Harper continued. "To make that happen, you essentially need a power extender and a range extender that is very power dense. You could use a reciprocating engine or a rotary engine in this solution, but what you don’t want to do is compromise what most people are doing most of the time, which is driving this car as an EV. With either of those solutions you’d be carrying a lot of weight and package around when you don’t use it. In fact you’d be penalized for lugging that capability around. So that drove us to looking for lightweight, power-dense range extension and power extension solutions and that takes you fairly quickly to gas turbines.”

So the C-X75 is equipped with two micro gas turbines producing 94 hp (70 kW) at 80,000 rpm and supplied by Bladon Jets, a company in which Jaguar Land Rover’s owner Tata took a minority shareholding during the Paris Show. Each turbine, combined with the switch reluctance generator, weighs 35 kg (77 lb) each.

More at the link.

very impressive, but I wonder how many Leafs you could buy for the cost of this Jag? my guess, at least 10

of course you can't get 0-62mph in 3.4 seconds with a Leaf :)

"With so much drive torque available, Jaguar says it had to limit the torque available from rest to improve driveability. The car is said to be able to accelerate from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.4 s, from rest to 160 km/h (100 mph) in 5.5 s, and from 80-145 km/h (50-90 mph) in 2.3 s."

mitch672 said:
very impressive, but I wonder how many Leafs you could buy for the cost of this Jag? my guess, at least 10

This is a concept. If this does make it to the market - I expect the pricing to be between Fisker & Roadster i.e. 3 to 4 Leafs.

oh I don't think Jag will make this for less than $250K for something like this...
It has 2 jet engines in it, connected to generators to make a tremendous amount of KW/power,
all 4 wheels are powered (motors in wheels), plus the 19KW battery...

expect this to be in the $250-300K range. every bit of it.

You lost me at "range extended". :lol: Cool looking though:

150205_469488769843_704969843_5471257_915178_n.jpg

It would seem that hybrids (with some sort of consumable fuel) will probably be with us for quitw a few more years, especially in the high-power transportation applications.

I guess that 70 kW (one 77-lb turbine-generator) is not enough power to run this thing at high speeds (off roads, on a track), so they need two generators (140 kW)?

But, in a street-speed (under 124 mph, 200 kph) version, one might use just one "generator", right?

Very nice power source for a HEV (or PHEV), it would seem?

What is its fuel to "e" conversion efficiency?

That is a beautiful car! Jaguar has always been at the top of the heap in exterior styling, in my mind. The rest of the package usually leaves something to be desired, though...

Now, the Porsche 918 Spyder--there's a car to die for, with the engineering at all levels to back up the beauty! And a price to match...

zoom.jpg

zoom.jpg

TT

Jay Leno got to drive this concept (if you call rolling at 5 mph on a closed street, "driving") Still, he was apparently the first person outside of Jaguar who got to do so.

This is a design exercise for Jaguar to demonstrate to the world and to their own employees that Jag can make amazing technological innovations and gorgeous designs. There are NO intentions at production. Some of the ideas may make it into future cars, but that is all.

See the video on Jay Leno's Garage site: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/jaguar-cx75-concept/1260041/

Back