LADWP -- anyone know how they treat PV Solar with an EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

Has anyone in the LADWP utility service area found out fromLADWP what the options are for installing a EVSE when you already have a TOU (time--of-use meter), PV solar and net metering?
If you dont have PV Solar and net metering with TOU their website only shows options for non-PV solar, and it is very unclear what happens for PV solar houses.

There have been several issues for net metering for PV solar customers:
-must you get a second TOU for the EV circuit?
-if you must, do you pay a second $8 monthly service fee for your second TOU?
-are you eligible for the option of just accepting 350 to 500 kWh at a reduced rate base power; 2.5 cents off the standard rate/per month -- and not going for the separate TOU meter for the EVSE circuit?

I just got the latest from LADWP for net metering EV customers.

If you have net metering you have two options:

-stay on TOU for the entire house and any overage from the panels or cash in the bank will offset your EV use.

-add a second TOU meter and you get 2.5-cent per kilowatt discount for BASE period usage only for that circuit. otherwise standard rates apply to that circuit
you cannot offset usage from you PV array or costs from using money from your solar bank account but you dont pay a second $8 service charge or a minimum charge for that second meter and its account. You just pay the electric costs.

The cost of the second TOU meter installation is something you pay but LADWP supplies the meter. If you do it during the EV Project install, I think they cover that. I dont really know that for sure. FOUND OUT THAT THEY DONT. SEE BELOW.
In my case, the first option is best, as I have cash in my account.

I asked the EV Project LA rep if they could cover the installation of the second meter and the answer was no. We don't have solar but we are going to switch to whole house TOU. If you do so and have an EV, DWP will give you a 500 kWh block of energy monthly during the base time period at a 2.5 cent discount per kWh. So any energy used during the base period (up to the 500 kWh per month) will be at the discounted rate. Base time period is 8 pm to 10 am weekdays and 24/7 on weekends.

Back