Level 2 EVSE charging stopped at 98% for 2015 SL?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanxushen

I have got my 2015 SL about a month ago, and I have been using L1 charging which come with the Leaf. Although the full charge GID and SOC% is not at peak level, every time when it finishes Charging, Leaf dashboard shows 100%.

I installed a AeroVironment 30A EVSE few days ago. I tried twice to do a full charge from about 30%. After the charging stopped, the leaf dashboard shows 98%. If I then trigger the charging again from the Carwing, it will charge about another 30mins, and then the Dash board shows 100%.

What is going on here?

Here is some reading that I have got from LeafStat (after a full charge, 1st two used a L1 charging):

Nov 16, GID 283, SOC 96.94%, SOH 91.34%

Nov 30, GID 282, SOC 97.31%, SOH 90.41%

Dec 10, GID 278, SOC 96.06%, SOH 90.59% (using L2 charge to 98% and restart charging to 100% as dashboard).

If it happens with just that particular L-2 station it's probably a minor defect in the circuitry, and the station is cutting the charge right before the pack is actually full. If it happens at others, my guess is that your car is reporting a full charge to the L-2 EVSE when it still needs to be equalized.

LeftieBiker said:
If it happens with just that particular L-2 station it's probably a minor defect in the circuitry, and the station is cutting the charge right before the pack is actually full. If it happens at others, my guess is that your car is reporting a full charge to the L-2 EVSE when it still needs to be equalized.

I have not tried to do a full charge at another L2 station. Perhaps, I need try to find the root cause of the trouble. I will call the EVSE company tomorrow to see if they have any clues.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15120

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, during the last hour when going to 100%, not much energy is making it into the pack anyway. See graph at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=338038#p338038.

Also, you can observe this in Leaf Spy in the Charging Power screen that shows two numbers (a.b/c.d kW). Once you're past a certain point, those numbers will drop below 5 kW.

cwerdna said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15120

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also, during the last hour when going to 100%, not much energy is making it into the pack anyway. See graph at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=338038#p338038.

Also, you can observe this in Leaf Spy in the Charging Power screen that shows two numbers (a.b/c.d kW). Once you're past a certain point, those numbers will drop below 5 kW.

Thanks. I actually think 98% is better, but I just don't want to have a defected EVSE or Leaf.

cwerdna said:
Eventually those numbers will be between the 0.x and 1.x kW range.

My 2015 SL always charges to 100% (dashboard display) when I use my AeroVironment 30-ampere L2 EVSE. The car controls the charge so I doubt there is anything wrong with your EVSE. The charge rate gets really slow when approaching full charge (and even goes to zero current sometimes), but I never get charge complete emails and texts until the car is fully charged. How are you determining that the charge is really complete? Are the blue lights on top of the dash still lit or are they out when you approach the car after L2 charging? The car may still be charging or cell balancing and waiting to resume charging unless the blue lights are out.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
My 2015 SL always charges to 100% (dashboard display) when I use my AeroVironment 30-ampere L2 EVSE. The car controls the charge so I doubt there is anything wrong with your EVSE. The charge rate gets really slow when approaching full charge (and even goes to zero current sometimes), but I never get charge complete emails and texts until the car is fully charged. How are you determining that the charge is really complete? Are the blue lights on top of the dash still lit or are they out when you approach the car after L2 charging? The car may still be charging or cell balancing and waiting to resume charging unless the blue lights are out.

Gerry

Yes, the charge is stopped as green light is off and from Carwing the charge is complete.

Since you get CarWings message it is clear the car thinks the charge is complete. I suggest you give it another month or two of use with L2 charging and see if it starts ending at 100% in case the BMS (battery management system) is still learning the actual battery characteristics. Both AeroVironment and LEAF have 3-year warranty so you can talk to your dealer if it seems to be an issue after you give it some time.

Gerry

Back