Leviton evr-green prods starting to show up...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awallis

I've been checking the websites of major retailers the last week or so to see if the leviton evr-green products were appearing and I finally got something this morning on Amazon. It's not the charger, but it's the first sign that things are happening...

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T7591-PEV-Receptacle-Controlled-Evr-Green/dp/B004G6YEVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300546178&sr=8-1

Leviton Site:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCZzpHome.jsp?minisite=10091&respid=22372

That's just a GFI with a motion light. We have an entire thread on the Leviton EVSE FYI.

I realize that this is not the 160 unit. My point was simply that the supply chain is now beginning to move. Feel free to move the post elsewhere or delete it.

It is not clear that one should use a "normal" GFI socket or breaker for any L1 or L2 EVSE charging.

Generally, it is advised that the 5 to 10 ma "trip" level in a normal GFI is too low for reliable EVSE charging, and a proper EVSE usually has (should have) a GFI detector with a higher-limit (around 20 ma) setting, right?

Perhaps this Leviton GFI socket is a special design with a higher trip-point?

garygid said:
Perhaps this Leviton GFI socket is a special design with a higher trip-point?
I'm just guessing, as apparently you also are, Gary, but I would have said "Almost certainly" rather than "perhaps". The higher limit GFI and the multiple insertion rating seem to be the Leviton secrets for approval as a pluggable 240v installation.

Ray

So, to be "legal" plug-in, you are suggesting that the Leviton EVSEs
MIGHT be required to use only the Leviton special socket(s)?

I would doubt that, but ... ?
Blink does not need special sockets, right?

awallis said:
I've been checking the websites of major retailers the last week or so to see if the leviton evr-green products were appearing and I finally got something this morning on Amazon. It's not the charger, but it's the first sign that things are happening...

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T7591-PEV-Receptacle-Controlled-Evr-Green/dp/B004G6YEVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300546178&sr=8-1
Thanks awallis - I ordered one from Amazon this evening. Amazon says it won't ship until the first or second week of April.

garygid said:
So, to be "legal" plug-in, you are suggesting that the Leviton EVSEs
MIGHT be required to use only the Leviton special socket(s)?

I would doubt that, but ... ?
Blink does not need special sockets, right?

The T7591-PEV is only for a L1 EVSE. Is just has a nice little feature like an automatic light so you can see it when plugging in at night (standard GFIs don't have that). I noticed others have felt the charge port on the LEAF should have a light. As to the question about it having a higher trip current it doesn't. The trip current is 5mA. It does claim "Improved immunity to high-frequency noise reduces nuisance tripping"

Just as a note for those relying on L1 charging. Your AC outlet and L1 LEVSE may not have 1,000s of mating cycles in their life expectancy (twice a day is 700+/year). I have not seen a mating cycle spec. for the LEAF L1 EVSE. One may want consider leaving the EVSE plugged into the AC wall outlet and getting a spare L1 EVSE (~$600 with shipping) to have with them. The same comments apply for the EVR-GREEN 160 L2 EVSE with plug if your thinking of trying to use it as a portable L2 charger.

mgoleta said:
Just as a note for those relying on L1 charging. Your AC outlet and L1 LEVSE may not have 1,000s of mating cycles in their life expectancy (twice a day is 700+/year). I have not seen a mating cycle spec. for the LEAF L1 EVSE. One may want consider leaving the EVSE plugged into the AC wall outlet and getting a spare L1 EVSE (~$600 with shipping) to have with them. The same comments apply for the EVR-GREEN 160 L2 EVSE with plug if your thinking of trying to use it as a portable L2 charger.

The plug on the Nissan (Panasonic) EVSE is the only item that would wear out with high insertion cycles, and in general plugs usually don't wear much, it's the spring contacts in the receptacle that wear out. Even if the plug did wear out, it's easily replaceable.

When we upgrade the EVSE, we replace the plug with a molded NEMA L6-20P, and then the standard 120v (5-15) plug is on an adapter, so you could easily just get a new adapter if it somehow wore out.

However, It would be a good idea if you are going to unplug the EVSE daily, to install a high-spec outlet with strong contact pressure, and replace it when it starts to feel loose. Cheap insurance!

-Phil

Using a short extension cord as a wear saver is an excellent idea. Like what you are doing with your adapter. Much better and cheaper than a spare EVSE. I do agree that you will more than likely want to have a heavy duty outlet to plug into and plan to replace it when it gets loose.

mgoleta said:
Using a short extension cord as a wear saver is an excellent idea. Like what you are doing with your adapter. Much better and cheaper than a spare EVSE. I do agree that you will more than likely want to have a heavy duty outlet to plug into and plan to replace it when it gets loose.

Just be sure it's a good quality 12AWG cord. There are many cheap chinese cordsets out there now, it's hard to find one that's quality.

This Leviton 5262 Heavy-Duty "industrial" duplex receptacle (socket) seems to be a good idea, and about $17 or $10 at Amazon, but only about $3 at the "store" at:
http://www.fruitridgetools.com
(search for 5262 industrial duplex receptacle)

You gents make good points about plugs and sockets. I understand that folks used to working with specs and MTBF rates and such would enjoy racking/stacking components. :geek:

It appears from the text associated with the Leviton outlet that they've got the bases covered:

The new Leviton T7591 Tamper-Resistant GFCI Receptacle features a single receptacle with a guide light that is photo-sensor controlled, making it easier to locate the receptacle when it is dark. It is built on Leviton's patented SmartLockPRO GFCI Receptacle platform, and can accommodate the repetitive insertions experienced with plug-in vehicle charging. Meets NEC Code Requirements for use with electric vehicle charging systems. Recommended for use on a dedicated circuit. Also features SmartLockPRO which includes: Line/Load reversal indicator, "End-of-Life" Indication -prevention of reset in the case of compromised GFCI protection, and "Surge-Hardened" electronics to offer superior resistance to surges and over voltages.

AndyH said:
awallis said:

Thanks awallis - I ordered one from Amazon this evening. Amazon says it won't ship until the first or second week of April.

Amazon cancelled my order...

Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:11 PM

Due to a lack of availability from our suppliers, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"Leviton T7591-PEV GFCI Receptacle with Sensor Controlled Guide Light For Level 1 Electric Vehicle Charging, White/Evr-Green"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G6YEVK

We've cancelled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience.

I received my Leviton EVB22-3PM charger yesterday. My electrician purchased it for me for $1,000 and brought it to my house. He wired in the appropriate 240V socket that he purchased for a couple of bucks, mounted the unit on the wall using a single screw, plugged it into the socket and I started charging my car. Everything was accomplished in about fifteen minutes. I refused to buy the installation kit so I will now look for a mounting bracket that will work for the unit. My electrician had previously ran the wires from my circuit breaker box to the location for the charger. That charge was $220. The total cost for the charger and installation should be less than $1300.

Back