Long Beach, CA -- charger installation info

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haykinson

I emailed Long Beach parking operations folks, asking about the defunct chargers in the Aquarium parking lot and any plans to replace them with L2 chargers. They replied:

The City has been researching electrical vehicle charging stations for over a year now. Early on there were many questions on the State level concerning infrastructure and policy that we needed to overcome, hence the delay in getting these chargers out on our streets and in our parking structures. We've resolved most of these issues and I believe that we will begin installing EV charging stations as soon as the spring of 2012. The County has been given federal funding for the purchase of EV chargers and the SCAQMD has taken on the task of purchasing and disbursing the chargers. Long Beach has placed our order and we are waiting for the SCAQMD to finalize procurement of the equipment.

I think this is good news, and clearly they've been thinking about the charging infrastructure. In fact, since it's the SCAQMD (South Coast Air Quality Management District) that's driving this process, I wonder if this will have a lot more impact than just on Long Beach.

I'll follow up with some additional questions and will update this thread if I hear anything else of interest.

-ilya

Back