My Leaf Experience after owning two Prius cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lencap

I originally bought a 2007 Prius Touring edition - loved the combination of features, especially the brighter headlights and modestly improve handling. I drove it for nearly 25K miles over two years, not a single problem. Wonderful car, met my expectations fully. Sold it in 2009 when gas prices spiked and hybrids were in short supply. Couldn't turn down the price I was offered, which allowed me to swap into a 2009 Mini Cooper and put money in the bank on the deal.

Moved into a 2011 Prius after tiring of the Mini Cooper. It was a fun ride, but after the ride became challenging over time - short wheelbase, I felt every pebble on the road and the noise became tiresome. The 2011 Prius surprised me greatly. All of the little things that bothered me in the 2007 version were fixed in the 2011 model. Better range, stronger battery allowing for more extended runs on battery power only (nearly 2 uninterrupted battery miles on my ride to work), better power up the hills (ICE didn't turn on nearly as often). The interior was a bit better, but I wasn't a big fan of the "floating" shelf console design. After 2 years and 26K miles of driving, again nothing at all to complain about. Avg. MPG during my ownership was a real 48.8, up over 2 MPG from the 2007 version. No repairs, just routine service. Fabulous car in every way.

But, and there is always a but, I became interested in a true EV and the Nissan Leaf was on my radar for 2 years. I even had a deposit placed shortly after it was announced. I drove it a few times, but each ride was limited to 5 miles or so - not enough to get the feel for the car (it was in short supply and dealers were not offering rides - I got my ride from the Nissan Leaf demo rides that were company sponsored). I liked the idea of it, but the 3.3KW charger was a VERY slow system that limited the car's flexibility for my needs. The heater was also an issue. Those two issues were killers for me, not to mention the price, at least versus the Prius (the 2011 was $24K out the door).

Imagine my surprise when I tried out the 2013 Leaf model two weeks ago. The charger was upgraded to a 6.6KW version, cutting the charging time in half. The EV management system was updated as well, extending the range and improving efficiency. The stock range rose to over 80 miles, and that was real range, not wishful thinking, at least on my commute in my climate. The car's electric heater was completely redesigned to a heat pump! The battery drain is far lower than the original, adding to the effective range. A/C is also worlds better and also far more efficient. All in all, the problems that kept me from the Leaf were no longer there. My daily commute is under 20 miles and my city is "green" with lots of free/low cost charging stations available 24/7. Add to all of that the price drop made available by shifting production to the US instead of Japan. I didn't want to buy the car, fearing resale value and battery depletion, and apparently Nissan realizes that. The lease I got was just over half of the initial lease prices offered in 2011.

The Leaf rides very well, batteries are low to the ground, and the ride is "firm" without being boring. The SV model, the middle level, offers all that I want and puts a smile on my face. That doesn't mean I don't like the Prius, nor does it mean that I won't buy another one at some point. The Leaf is still distance challenged, but the 2013 is FAR better than the car that was released in 2011, at least for my needs. Like the Prius the updates and changes are significant and makes the car a better vehicle. After considering everything I leased the Leaf and sold the Prius. In fact I was so impressed I traded the Prius to the dealer - I didn't want to wait to enjoy the Leaf!

Incidentally, I tried to buy a Prius Plug in, but they are still very limited and prices are typically inflexible. Add to that the rebates and other Leaf discounts and the Leaf winds up with a far lower monthly payment versus the plug in Prius, even though the cars are not all that far apart similarly equipped. I considered the RAV4 EV, but I can't justify the steep price difference between it and the Leaf. The RAV batteries may last longer (in duration, not necessarily daily distance) with a lower depletion rating, but going from 85 miles to 100 miles of distance isn't worth the price difference. Besides, I really like the Leaf and want to encourage Nissan to keep improving it.

Thanks to this forum for your help and comments - they helped "push" me into the car I now have.

Again, not bashing the Prius -- I loved both of mine, but the Leaf is something different. And for me the difference is entertaining, and fully matches my driving needs.

lencap said:
A/C is also worlds better and also far more efficient.
Welcome aboard! Glad you are happy with your Leaf, there are some nice improvements. However, the AC in the 2011-2012 Leafs is quite good and uses minimal energy. It's hard for me to imagine it is "worlds better", and I don't recall hearing about that much of a difference from other 2013 owners. Perhaps I didn't get the memo? :eek:

Welcome lencap!

Nice write-up. I have a 2006 Prius and a 2011 Leaf. I love 'em both. The Prius is my "long range" vehicle, so it's driven about 20% of the time. The Leaf is my "commuter"; and it's driven almost daily. I've had absolutely no problems with either vehicle. I do all my own maintenance.

lencap said:
The Leaf is still distance challenged, but the 2013 is FAR better than the car that was released in 2011, at least for my needs.
newownermnl

Welcome! That should read 2010 BTW :)

Click to open

Yes, nice write up and congrats! Great to hear that you're enjoying it!

Can relate to your sentiments re the Prius. It and the LEAF are different, but

we still need and love our 2010 Prius, so it's a keeper as long as possible. It's been totally reliable and very low-maintenance.

we still need and love our 2011 LEAF, and with our ambient temps where we live, we hope it's a keeper for a long time also. It's even less maintenance than the Prius and, best of all, it doesn't need gasoline!

We're definitely looking forward to the next generation of EVs for our next vehicle! :D

We have a 2011 Prius as our first car, and are very happy with it. Just bought a loaded 2013 Leaf SV as our second car for commuting -- it feels like a luxury car compared to the Prius.

I came from a 2010 Prius. Prius is a great car and I strongly recommend them and would buy another. It's arguably the best vehicle on the road right now. It's purely utilitarian but it delivers in this realm incredibly well. It's not that expensive, is safe, reliable, superb gas mileage, great carrying capacity for its size.

The Leaf drives better, there's just no doubt about it. Feels more solid and the low-end torque is much nicer. Seat is more comfortable, too.

Prius cargo capacity is much, much better. The cargo area folds far better and it's just a better vehicle for moving stuff around.

I saw some great deals on plug in prius' a few months ago. When the lease is up on the Leaf, at the moment I cannot imagine not getting either another Leaf, or a Prius again. Preference would be to Leaf because it is cheaper to operate and I love the EV power train.

I have a Prius Plug-in right now, and am actually going to take a big hit in order to get a LEAF. The Prius Plug-in is a great car, but between the extremely dated features/interface, the fact that the plug-in is a hybrid first, EV second (nothing is more frustrating than the engine kicking in when you DON'T need it), I decided to just go 100% EV and take the hit.

I took the test drive (in a 2012, knowing the 2013 was even better), was really impressed, and hopefully I'll have my LEAF by the end of the week. As I've been telling people, the Prius Plug-in is an EV with training wheels, and there is room for both cars, as they serve 2 different markets. I just wish I did my EV research when I bought my plug-in (was planning on buying a regular Prius, but the incentives on the plug-in were making the plug-in a better deal than the regular Prius).

As for the RAV4 EV, dealers are discounting them cheaper than the LEAF, if it wasn't for the fact that getting the car serviced out of CA is going to be a pain, I would have had one in my garage right now :(

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I came from a 2010 Prius. Prius is a great car and I strongly recommend them and would buy another. It's arguably the best vehicle on the road right now. It's purely utilitarian but it delivers in this realm incredibly well. It's not that expensive, is safe, reliable, superb gas mileage, great carrying capacity for its size.

The Leaf drives better, there's just no doubt about it. Feels more solid and the low-end torque is much nicer. Seat is more comfortable, too.

Prius cargo capacity is much, much better. The cargo area folds far better and it's just a better vehicle for moving stuff around.

I saw some great deals on plug in prius' a few months ago. When the lease is up on the Leaf, at the moment I cannot imagine not getting either another Leaf, or a Prius again. Preference would be to Leaf because it is cheaper to operate and I love the EV power train.

Well, then have both.... Seriously, I recognise that many people only need one car, or have only space for one car, and for them the question of which is really an issue.

But, for many housholds, they have 2 (or more) vehicles -- a Prius and a PEV make a very compelling choice. For a two car household, the Leaf / Prius combo lacks only 2 things, and not everyone needs them -- towing capacity and AWD. If you don't need those, but need a second car in addition to a Leaf, and drive that second car more than a few thou a year, then the Prius makes a lot of sense....

cdherman said:
But, for many housholds, they have 2 (or more) vehicles -- a Prius and a PEV make a very compelling choice. For a two car household, the Leaf / Prius combo lacks only 2 things, and not everyone needs them -- towing capacity and AWD. If you don't need those, but need a second car in addition to a Leaf, and drive that second car more than a few thou a year, then the Prius makes a lot of sense....
Definitely. Have an '08 Prius along with my '11 LEAF. Cars I've debated replacing the Prius with:

1. Model S - with supercharger it can do just about all the driving / road trips we've done in the last 10 years that I can think of. Rear facing seats would get us extra room for kids which would be useful fairly frequently. Really hard to justify spending that kind of money on a car, though, and my Powerball tickets didn't win.
2. Prius plug-in - Can't quite justify replacing the current Prius with it yet considering it's 11 mi EV range.
3. C-MAX Energi - Trunk is too small for a car that would be taken on road trips.
4. Volt - Rear seats too small.

I wish that Toyota would put a 10 kWh battery in the Prius V - get 3rd row seats like they have in Europe for bonus points.

drees said:
Definitely. Have an '08 Prius along with my '11 LEAF. Cars I've debated replacing the Prius with:

1. Model S - with supercharger it can do just about all the driving / road trips we've done in the last 10 years that I can think of. Rear facing seats would get us extra room for kids which would be useful fairly frequently. Really hard to justify spending that kind of money on a car, though, and my Powerball tickets didn't win.

I wish that Toyota would put a 10 kWh battery in the Prius V - get 3rd row seats like they have in Europe for bonus points.
From what I've seen on Tesla Motors Club, the rear jump seat area gets very hot. I think in your area, that'd be a bad combination.

As for Prius v w/10 kwh battery, problem is, the US never got the version w/the 3rd row. In the 3 row version, they changed from a NiMH battery to a physically smaller li-ion in the center console/former cubby area. I highly doubt they could cram a significant amount of battery capacity into that space. Not sure where they could find room. I think the best case would be to also put the PiP's larger pack into the v and thus occupying the area above the spare tire, just like on the PiP, which would rule out the 3rd row.

cwerdna said:
From what I've seen on Tesla Motors Club, the rear jump seat area gets very hot. I think in your area, that'd be a bad combination.
San Diego doesn't get all that hot. :p Might hit 100F on occasion and I don't venture that far inland that often. Most have said that some good window tinting also takes care of most of the issue.

cwerdna said:
As for Prius v w/10 kwh battery, problem is, the US never got the version w/the 3rd row.
Oh, I know all that. I am just suggesting that if they could fit 10 kWh of battery in the Prius V without significantly compromising cargo room, they'd have a hit on their hands.

I am coming from a 2004 Prius which was purchased when there were very few on the road in MD at the time. I drove it for over 9 years and never had an ounce of problem with it and averaged 50mpg over that time. It was great in winter weather as well. It really is a great car.
But I always wanted a pure EV and disappointed that Toyota didn't take a car in that direction after the Prius success. I felt it was time to support Nissan for their gutsy EV efforts.
I have been blown away with how awesome the LEAF is for a first effort. I am more and more impressed with it as I get a better feel for the range and capacity. I can safely say that I have never felt this strongly about a car before.

Nice assessment, lencap. I have a 2012 and my commute is also under 20/day. I really don't find any problems with my range, given those circumstances and I weathered a couple of hellaciously deep snowstorms this last winter. I could blast the heater and get home just fine with some range to spare. I plug in overnight and rarely charge up anywhere else, so how fast my 3.3 charger works doesn't negatively impact me unless I want a faster opportunuty charge (rare) - YMMV. Unfortunately, I was using a borrowed car because my vehicle was shooting craps, so I couldn't wait 6 mos. for a 2013 and the new heat-pump heater, but I really enjoy the technology of this vehicle. I hope you enjoy yours, too, and welcome!

Back