Newbie question re: charging problem / dealer problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbaiocchi

My 2022 Leaf is having a charging problem. After charging overnight (using a 110v outlet in my garage), I get a "Service EV System No Power" error and cannot start the car. It has happened twice - both times it seemed to re-set after a few hours.

Took the car to my dealership (Nissan of Irvine), was told by the tech that the problem likely stems from me not using the Nissan Charge Cable that was supposed to come with my car when I obtained it in November. Problem is - I was never given a cable.

So, two questions:

1) Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is the solution in the cable? (For reference, I am using a Lectron NEMA charger from Amazon).

2) Any advice on escalating a concern? Local dealership staff have alternated between calling me a liar, an idiot, or ignoring my messages. It's been since 08/13/2022 since this trouble started.

Appreciate the help!

Although it's inconvenient to do so, I would try to recreate the error message by charging on a known good public EVSE (L2). If you can't recreate the issue, then there's a good chance that the EVSE you bought is problematic. If you can, then that provides ammunition for going back to the dealer.

Also, if it is the car and not the EVSE, then reach out to Nissan directly.

chrisbaiocchi said:
My 2022 Leaf is having a charging problem. After charging overnight (using a 110v outlet in my garage), I get a "Service EV System No Power" error and cannot start the car. It has happened twice - both times it seemed to re-set after a few hours.

Took the car to my dealership (Nissan of Irvine), was told by the tech that the problem likely stems from me not using the Nissan Charge Cable that was supposed to come with my car when I obtained it in November. Problem is - I was never given a cable.

So, two questions:

1) Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is the solution in the cable? (For reference, I am using a Lectron NEMA charger from Amazon).

2) Any advice on escalating a concern? Local dealership staff have alternated between calling me a liar, an idiot, or ignoring my messages. It's been since 08/13/2022 since this trouble started.

Appreciate the help!

Did you buy this used or new? If new you should have received a Nissan EVSE.

That doesn't really answer "new or used?" though. A new Leaf with no cable is legally owed that cable. A used one is more a 'fight about it in small claims court' situation.

I purchased new, and did not receive the part. The dealer has since contacted me - they are going to get me the cable so I'll see if that fixes the issues.

The EVSE cables that come with a 2022 are pretty nice but apparently they only work at 240V and don't work with 208V. If you live in a sub-division with 208V power it probably won't work at L2 rates but either way it should work at L1 (120V) rates.

Let us know how it turns out.

The dual-voltage Nissan EVSE that comes with the Plus models also includes a storage bag that hooks to anchor points in the luggage area and a bracket that can be mounted on the wall near a receptacle to hold the main unit so it does not hang by the plug/cord. Since you are missing the EVSE, you might want to check to make sure the little air compressor and tire sealer kit is in place behind a removeable cover in the left side of the hatch area.

I recommend getting a good tubeless tire repair kit to use with the compressor instead of the sealer bottle (which will make a mess inside the tire and may damage the pressure sensor. It is also a good idea to keep a pair of pliers with the tire plug kit so you have a way to remove the object that caused the leak.

The link below may be of use. It's for a post on the same error on a 2018 Leaf.
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31620

I've never experienced this issue on my 2018, but I've read about it in the past on other forums. The resolutions varied from replacing the 12V battery, replacing a specific relay, or replacing the power module.

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice. I finally got the cable from the dealer and charged the car overnight. No problems!

Back