Schneider Level 2 charger installed!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrradon

I installed my charging station last night. Took about 45 minutes. I've got an electrical and mechanical engineering degrees, and this device is at best a $100 part. There is no way these should be costing $800! I'll post pictures later.

Getting it was an ordeal!
4-16-12 (Monday) I tried to buy a Schneider Electric Universal Wall Mounted Electric Car Charger off Lowes on-line for $799 but kept getting hit with WA State sales tax even though RCW 82.08.816 exempts these items from sales tax. So I called the 800 number. After 45 minutes the sales guy managed to override the sales tax.
4-21-12 (Friday) I called back because my card had not been charged. The sales person said my order had been shipped, and siad he would e-mail me the details.
4-24-12 (Monday) I called back; no e-mail, the "NEW" sales person said the order was cancled! He told me the audit department caught the illegal non-sales tax sale and removed it from the system! :cry: After another 45 minutes of talking and faxing to Lowes the RCW (law) I was told by Lowes that they have NO WAY to NOT charge sales tax! They were going ask legal and look into the issue.
4-25-12 (Tuesday) I call back. They tell me they CANNOT remove the tax. However, they will sell me the charger for $760 including TAX! I place the order. Free shipping!
5-2-12 (Tuesday) The wife said I got a package!

REF:
RCW 82.08.816
Exemptions — Electric vehicle batteries and infrastructure. (Expires January 1, 2020.)
(1) The tax imposed by RCW 82.08.020 does not apply to:
(a) The sale of batteries for electric vehicles;
(b) The sale of or charge made for labor and services rendered in respect to installing, repairing, altering, or improving electric vehicle batteries;
(c) The sale of or charge made for labor and services rendered in respect to installing, constructing, repairing, or improving electric vehicle infrastructure; and
(d) The sale of tangible personal property that will become a component of electric vehicle infrastructure during the course of installing, constructing, repairing, or improving electric vehicle infrastructure.
(2) Sellers may make tax exempt sales under this section only if the buyer provides the seller with an exemption certification in a form and manner prescribed by the department. The seller must retain a copy of the certificate for the seller's files.
(3) The definitions in this subsection apply throughout this section unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(a) "Battery charging station" means an electrical component assembly or cluster of component assemblies designed specifically to charge batteries within electric vehicles, which meet or exceed any standards, codes, and regulations set forth by chapter 19.28 RCW and consistent with rules adopted under RCW 19.27.540.
(b) "Battery exchange station" means a fully automated facility that will enable an electric vehicle with a swappable battery to enter a drive lane and exchange the depleted battery with a fully charged battery through a fully automated process, which meets or exceeds any standards, codes, and regulations set forth by chapter 19.28 RCW and consistent with rules adopted under RCW 19.27.540.
(c) "Electric vehicle infrastructure" means structures, machinery, and equipment necessary and integral to support an electric vehicle, including battery charging stations, rapid charging stations, and battery exchange stations.
(d) "Rapid charging station" means an industrial grade electrical outlet that allows for faster recharging of electric vehicle batteries through higher power levels, which meets or exceeds any standards, codes, and regulations set forth by chapter 19.28 RCW and consistent with rules adopted under RCW 19.27.540.
(4) This section expires January 1, 2020.
[2009 c 459 § 4.]

This gets even better. I talk to my local State of Washington Representative Derek Stanford and there is no way to get an exemption certification. The law mentions this but the state has yet to figure out how to provide the form. Crazy I tell ya.
I guess I have my answer why I didn't get the sales tax taken off. Figure it is best to buy these over the internet to avoid the whole tax thing. I hope my Leaf isn't taxed...

REF:
RCW 82.08.816
(2) Sellers may make tax exempt sales under this section only if the buyer provides the seller with an exemption certification in a form and manner prescribed by the department. The seller must retain a copy of the certificate for the seller's files.

Here are the pictures.
The unit came very well packed. Was a rather large box. I was disappointed the housing is all plastic, not very rugged. The charge cable seemed heavy and constructed well.

I took the front cover off.
IMG_3136.jpg

Then removed the cable to make it easier to work with. Hung it on the wall where the Leaf will park.
IMG_3142.jpg

Than cut the sheet rock to run the 8-3 ROMEX cable. I had to run across since above the unit is the support beam for the garage door, no way to drill through that.
IMG_3149.jpg

Ran the cable to the new 20A/40A/20A circuit breaker.
IMG_3143.jpg

Ready for inspection from Washington State L&I.
Here is a video of the first start up of the unit.
http://youtu.be/E0YwcVxz47E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please post in one of the many, many Schneider threads. We do not need a new thread every time someone installs an EVSE, this is not Twitter.

Thank you!

PS- Looks like you forgot to clamp the Romex from the pictures.

Nope ROMEX is clamped. I searched for Schneider and didn't see a thread with an installation picture.

Twitter? I have no clue how to post something on twitter nor the use. I'm still a Luddite, no text enabled cell phone.

He probably has a power monitoring system..

Mr Radon, the EVSE is about $100, the rest went to get the UL certification :)

I have a 16 channel data logger attached to my system. Soon to be upgraded to 32 channel.
I characterized all my loads, I programed it to send e-mails to my wife when she forgets to turn off loads (+3hrs on change) when I'm traveling on business. LOL - she hates that.

I'm managed to go from 5KWh/day to 3.1KWH. Amazing how many hidden loads I found.

smkettner said:
Still amazes me the small size of the yellow connectors from fuse block to the switch.
What are they #14? Seems small for 30 amps.

The explanation I got on that was because the wire is so short it doesn't matter. Also the insulation is some kind of high temperature stuff, but I don't understand the significance of insulation temperature ratings, as you'd think the idea is for wires to not get hot in the first place.

Passed electrical inspection!

A friend came over yesterday with his Leaf. He got a free charge up and I got a nice test drive. I noticed on his Nav system my house now shows up as a charging station. So will this be added to Nissan's data base? Also, the charging station at the Walgreen's at the end of the street is not on the map? Is there a way to tell Nissan to add locations?

I thought the charging unit was pretty noisy when it clicked on. Made me jump the first time I heard it.
My friend said he was charged $2,800 for his charger installation last year!?!! WOW!

Can't wait for my Leaf. The date got pushed back 3 days to June 11..

LTLFTcomposite said:
smkettner said:
I don't understand the significance of insulation temperature ratings, as you'd think the idea is for wires to not get hot in the first place.

There are many factors in determining the correct size for a circuit.
First and foremost is the circuit protection device type and rating.
Then there is: length of cable, insulation temperature rating, amount of other adjacent current carrying conductors, voltage drop...

In heavy vehicle electrical distribution design we never use less than 12AWG (3.0mm^2) for circuits protected by a 30A circuit breaker.

mrradon said:
... I noticed on his Nav system my house now shows up as a charging station. So will this be added to Nissan's data base? ...
No, the charge stations recorded by a car only exist for that car. There's no crowd sourcing of the EVSE database going on.

LTLFTcomposite said:
smkettner said:
Still amazes me the small size of the yellow connectors from fuse block to the switch.

The explanation I got on that was because the wire is so short it doesn't matter. Also the insulation is some kind of high temperature stuff, but I don't understand the significance of insulation temperature ratings, as you'd think the idea is for wires to not get hot in the first place.
I assume Schneider uses the small wire to fit through the coil. High temp insulation just means the insulation will not fail even as more heat is generated.

smkettner said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
smkettner said:

I assume Schneider uses the small wire to fit through the coil. High temp insulation just means the insulation will not fail even as more heat is generated.

One can only assume the people at Schneider know what they are doing and there is some reason those thinner wires are OK. Perhaps the conductors are an unobtainium alloy.

I'm looking at my gauge chart.
40A circuit breaker derate 35%
Temp for interior (70C)
125C insulation rating
Min AWG = 10AWG

Back