Squeak/rattle in trunk area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4wdave

My 2020 Leaf SV (10k miles) just this week started making this obnoxious squeak/rattle in the trunk area. I got back there while my wife drove around, and it sounds like it's coming from inside the rear hatch. Anyone else have this issue? (I searched, but couldn't find anything relevant).

My 2020 Leaf SV (10k miles) just this week started making this obnoxious squeak/rattle in the trunk area. I got back there while my wife drove around, and it sounds like it's coming from inside the rear hatch. Anyone else have this issue? (I searched, but couldn't find anything relevant).
Yes, I am experiencing and diagnosing the same issue in my ZE1. I found that when I put pressure on the rear hatch (while wife is driving), the noise will stop.

I have replaced both rear hatch gas struts and this has made the noise considerably better, but still not 100% resolved. I have pushed new grease into both ball-joint ends of the gas struts and it helped further, but I still occasionally get a squeak. Probably only 10% of the time it used to.

I hope this helps you direct your diagnostic efforts, and if you find a conclusive cause please do report back :)

First I removed the chrome license frame from the rear plate. That got rid of the rattle, but still had the squeak/groan.

It seemed to be caused by the tailgate bumpers rubbing against the body, so I got two felt furniture leg pads (~3/16" thick) and stuck them to the body on each side where the door bumpers meet.
1708529067488.jpeg

No more noise!

It seems that there should be a screw adjustment for the rubber stops, but I couldn't improve anything by twisting the rubber stops in their mounting holes.

Hope that helps!

Of course! The rubber bumpers - I'd not considered those!
(had done the numberplate already though :)

Thanks so much for posting that; I can't believe I didn't think of it. Going to mod those on mine today.

I managed to extend the rubber protrusions from the tailgate on mine by twisting them anti-clockwise. I think this will provide the additional pressure required to resolve the noise, however if not then I will try padding them out like above. Meanwhile I thought I'd post this quick before and after shot to help illustrate for any other interested readers in the future :)

Here's the before & after. All I've done is rotate the rubber bumper 360 degrees anti-clockwise and that has caused it to extend out from the tailgate due to it's threaded shape.

Original-s.jpg

Unwound-s.jpg

I will report back if this is successful and my ZE1 is finally silent :)

Well, ha ha ha just my luck you wouldn't believe it, it made it worse!

I wound them out and took that photo and the tailgate felt like it closed more solidly and had more pop to it when I unlatched it. But on my drive out on-site (about 15km) it rattled and squeaked even more than usual! It was a colder morning this morning and when I drove back after lunch it was notably quieter again, so maybe it was the temp change that made it worse, not unscrewing the rubbers more (first cold morning in a while here).

Anyway I haven't given up yet. I will eventually track down what it is and report back here afterwards!

My '19 LEAF had a really bad rattle when new that my dealer said was very common. The rear license plate rattles against the hatchback body panel. The dealer inserts a plastic advertising plate behind the metal license plate to minimize the rattle. I chose to ditch the extra plate and velcro the license plate in place.

Back