Swapping out a front door

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Due to an accident, I need to replace the driver's side front door. After looking at how the door is mounted, how to adjust the gaps (I know the fender need to come off), and then at the factory service manuals, It looks fairly straight forward. I have a few remaining questions for anyone who may have done this before:

1. How does the door wiring harness disconnect from the main body? From the outside or from behind the kick panel?

2. Will anything need to change inside the door, or any re-programming of the ECU, for the lock mechanism to work with my existing key fob? I think it’s a smart key - I just walk up to the car, push the little button on the door handle and the door unlocks.

3. What about the mechanical key inside the key fob? I’d prefer to have just one key and not a separate key for the new door. Will the lock cylinder in the new door have to be re-keyed or swapped over from the old door? Can a locksmith handle any of that?

I'll be getting a used door of the same color. Hopefully the color will be close enough.

Any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks!

I've never swapped a Leaf door but I've swapped doors on several other cars. They are usually quite similar, so here goes....

1. How does the door wiring harness disconnect from the main body? From the outside or from behind the kick panel?

I've always unplugged the wires inside the door panel. Eg. window switch, puddle light, etc and not the wiring inside the car.

2. Will anything need to change inside the door, or any re-programming of the ECU, for the lock mechanism to work with my existing key fob? I think it’s a smart key - I just walk up to the car, push the little button on the door handle and the door unlocks.

Usually the smart key stuff is integral to the dash or parts internal. I doubt there are any coded parts in the door itself.

3. What about the mechanical key inside the key fob? I’d prefer to have just one key and not a separate key for the new door. Will the lock cylinder in the new door have to be re-keyed or swapped over from the old door? Can a locksmith handle any of that?

I'd swap the key cylinder if it is still intact.

Any other things I should be aware of?

If you have tinted windows you will want to swap the windows as well. It's easier and cheaper than getting new window tint.

Doors are heavy and you will need a helper to get it installed. Or if you have access to a engine hoist or someway to hold the door up (a rope from a rafter or something) that can work.

Doors are heavy and you will need a helper to get it installed. Or if you have access to a engine hoist or someway to hold the door up (a rope from a rafter or something) that can work.
I used to use a non-wheeled, wooden chair as my assistant.

Ya, I'll definitely have someone help with the door install. Everything else sounds like no major difficulties. Thanks to goldbrick for all the details - that helps a lot!

Thank you all!

Back