The CPUC and California DC fast chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeekEV said:
Boo, hiss. So this time around it will be the electric companies that kill the electric car? How ironic... :lol:

Seriously though, it's beginning to sound like using a 30+kW natural gas generator onsite to power the quick charger would be a better option since it would be a one time fixed cost. Or is there a demand charge on natural gas too?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=shop&q=30kw+natural+gas+generator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

well, if there is simply install a tank and "trickle" fill it!!

as far as the OP; looks like the workaround is to provide one's own "baseline" power and use the PUC for a "slightly higher demand

EVOasis is using solar and "350 Green" will have onsite power storage to protect against public outages...

http://350green.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davewill said:
GeekEV said:
Boo, hiss. So this time around it will be the electric companies that kill the electric car? How ironic... :lol:

Seriously though, it's beginning to sound like using a 30+kW natural gas generator onsite to power the quick charger would be a better option since it would be a one time fixed cost. Or is there a demand charge on natural gas too?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=shop&q=30kw+natural+gas+generator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From what Tony has been posting, a generator based QC would have to be mobile, and couldn't stay in one location indefinitely.

or does it have to be "mobile capable?" once upon a time ago, i worked at a place that stored dynamite for road construction purposes. because of that, we could not have permanent fuel tanks so we ended up buying a tanker instead since we could still fuel up vehicles and generators. that tanker dump the tank the day it was bought and it never moved an inch the entire time i worked there.

planet4ever said:
The only things that would convince the long-distance-foot-draggers would be 300 mile batteries or near-instantaneous recharging, such as battery swaps or 500 kW charge rates. Neither of those is going to happen here any time soon.
I'd be happy doing long distance trips in a Model S with a ~90kWh 300 mile pack and 90kW QC. They start delivering them next year and I would expect similar capabilities as an option in EVs similar to the LEAF 10 years from now. Until then, QC still seems very useful for extended local/regional driving.

If a QC station was installed either in Camp Pendleton, which I understand would really take an act of Congress, or on either the North or South perimeter, I am sure we would be waiting in line to charge there. It makes excursions between L.A. and San Diego possible for two very large regional BEV groups.

I am starting to think that buying an old gas station on either perimeter and replacing the pumps with the $10,000 Nissan QCs is the quickest way to make this happen.

electricfuture said:
If a QC station was installed either in Camp Pendleton, which I understand would really take an act of Congress, or on either the North or South perimeter, I am sure we would be waiting in line to charge there. It makes excursions between L.A. and San Diego possible for two very large regional BEV groups.
Look what EVOasis plans: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=164353#p164353

Somehow both EVOasis and ChargeBliss think they can make it work for a reasonable price. I'm eager to hear what they have to say at tomorrow's San Diego meeting. I don't know how they intend to do it. A steady trickle of power from solar panels won't do it. A large storage battery would do it at great expense. The best way would seem to be co-locating with a large commercial complex which already has demand management equipment, so instead of paying thousands of dollars for a burst of power to a quick charger you just temporarily raise the A/C temperature by 1/2 a degree. But not all planned locations seem like they could be tied into demand management.

After all this time it's starting to look like California could really get its first commercial quick charger. <Fingers crossed!>

Latest CPUC news:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...oses-rules-to-boost-electric-vehicles-by-2025

The Air Resources Board expects that nearly 100 percent of all cars sold in the Golden State will be zero-emission vehicles by 2040 under its rules.
As a result, by 2050, California predicts that 87 percent of vehicles on the roads will be hydrogen fuel cell or battery-electric vehicles.
California will require the construction of hydrogen fueling stations in order to help five automakers who say they plan to sell some fuel-cell models by 2015. Automakers have repeatedly pushed back plans to sell fuel-cell vehicles.
California will "require" hydrogen fueling stations, but won't help out with QC? :?:

I think hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are just a Band-Aid on a festering cancer. Let's cut the tumor(s) out and seriously start eating our vegetables and get healthy if we want to live a long, healthy and productive life leaving something for our seventh generation.

San Diego County (and the State/country) seriously needs its own TVA. The free market, monetary system, for profit, private utility monopolies will never "fix" this problem.
[/soapbox]

KMG365 said:
Latest CPUC news:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...oses-rules-to-boost-electric-vehicles-by-2025

The Air Resources Board expects that nearly 100 percent of all cars sold in the Golden State will be zero-emission vehicles by 2040 under its rules.
As a result, by 2050, California predicts that 87 percent of vehicles on the roads will be hydrogen fuel cell or battery-electric vehicles.
California will require the construction of hydrogen fueling stations in order to help five automakers who say they plan to sell some fuel-cell models by 2015. Automakers have repeatedly pushed back plans to sell fuel-cell vehicles.
California will "require" hydrogen fueling stations, but won't help out with QC? :?:

I think hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are just a Band-Aid on a festering cancer. Let's cut the tumor(s) out and seriously start eating our vegetables and get healthy if we want to live a long, healthy and productive life leaving something for our seventh generation.

San Diego County (and the State/country) seriously needs its own TVA. The free market, monetary system, for profit, private utility monopolies will never "fix" this problem.
[/soapbox]

Yes your analysis is on target - look at BPA in Pacific Northwest as another TVA example.

Back