Tips for removing rear hub assembly?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxm

My 2015 Leaf has a bad right rear bearing. It's been a struggle to get it out because the backing plate with parking brake and dust shield also comes off after unbolting the hub assembly. I'm not finding any videos describing how to deal with it, other Nissan models have slightly different hubs.

The closest I found was section RAX (rear axle) which states:

Step 5. Remove wheel hub assembly with power tool.

The issue is that the parking brake shoe assembly is held by the same four bolts that hold the hub assembly so it comes out when those bolts are removed.

Screen-Shot-2023-11-05-at-7-41-45-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2023-11-05-at-7-42-07-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2023-11-05-at-7-42-17-AM.png

maxm said:
The issue is that the parking brake shoe assembly is held by the same four bolts that hold the hub assembly so it comes out when those bolts are removed.

It's not unusual in my experience that multiple parts are held in place by one set of bolts. Why is this a problem? Can't it just be re-installed the way it came out?

Hopefully you do not need to replace anything else besides the bearing. While I was replacing a right rear, I saw that the parking brake cable which has an aluminum fitting on the end was completely corroded away. So, new cable. The rear seat had to come out to get to the handbrake cable to replace it. Rear seat would not come out--I used a pry bar and eventually got it out; sometime the clip holding the seat in is really difficult. I replaced the entire rear parking brake in one piece because it was not in great shape either. Part number is 44000-5SA0B

goldbrick said:
It's not unusual in my experience that multiple parts are held in place by one set of bolts. Why is this a problem? Can't it just be re-installed the way it came out?

Not really. Part 2 and part 4 are stuck together. I need to separate them in order to replace Part 4. I'm looking for tips from people who have dealt with these specific parts before.

I'm partway through it now. I took one of the wheel studs out, and used a bolt through the hole to push the parts apart enough to start jamming in a screwdriver.

It might also help to soak everything in penetrating oil for a few days and/or use some heat from a propane torch or something to get things loosened up.

Back