Using 30a evse on a '12 Leaf with 3.3kw charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utgrad

I found that my main AC panel is close to where I would put an evse, so I'm going to install a 220v line and evse. I have a '12 for the next 15 months on a lease takeover so figure instead of getting a 15a charger I would go ahead and get a 30a (to accomodate faster charging in the future). I'm looking at the Clipper Creek HCS-40 30amp mainly because it's rated for outdoor use and has a 3 year warranty. Seems like the best deal all things considered. See anything wrong with my plans below?

Using #8 wire
40amp breaker

My question is mainly concerning the breaker spec. Since I have a '12 with the 3.3kw charger onboard, I'll only be pulling ~15amps, right? So I know the 40a is required with a 30a evse but will pulling only ~15amps cause any issues? Thanks!

Will the EVSE be hardwired or plugged into an outlet? If there is an outlet, the breaker should match the outlet rating.

My concern, however, is what happens when your friend with a Tesla, or RAV4 asks if he can plug in for an hour or so. Your Clipper Creek will say "I can give you 30A", and the car will say "Feed Me". Then your breaker blows or the wires melt. The breaker should match the capacity of what is attached to it. For the Clipper Creek you nee a 40A breaker.
\_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were asking if you could use a smaller breaker. Of course a 40A breaker will work if you are only drawing 15A.

Yes, you're good to go with installing an EVSE that is more powerful than your current Leaf.

The HCS-40 will offer up to 30 amps of power to any EV that plugs in. The car then pulls anything up to that limit. In the case of your '12 Leaf, with it's 3.3 kW charger, it will only pull 15 amps. You aren't exceeding the current limit on the breaker, the #8 wire in the wall, the HCS-40 EVSE, so all is good. Your electric clothes drier and electric stove/range don't always pull the max rating, and that works perfectly fine.

Good job on planning ahead for future expansion.

Your Clipper Creek will say "I can give you 30A", and the car will say "Feed Me". Then your breaker blows or the wires melt. The breaker should match the capacity of what is attached to it. For the Clipper Creek you nee a 40A breaker.

And that is what he wrote he will be using. No points for speed reading!

Back