Want a Leaf, what is the best option? First time EV buyer here.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and the new car deal lease is

$219 Per Month Lease

For 36 Months
Nissan LEAF

S
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $3,979 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $3,760 consumer down payment, $219 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $10,025 manufacturer's rebate applied to $219/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2018 LEAF S Lease model 17018 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $30,875 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $16,107 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $7,884 At lease end, purchase for $9,880, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $.25 per mile for mileage over 10,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 09/04/2018.

So work through it. Total payments for buying the car at the end is 3760+(219×36) + 9880 + 300 = $21824, half of which is three years in the future.

When would a $30k used Bolt be a better choice than a $22k new LEAF? Well, if you really need the extra range, or you plan on driving long distances with multiple DCQCs especially in the heat, the Bolt might be worth the extra $10,000. Especially if the seats work for you. They don't for me.

If you just need a commute car, with more comfortable seats than the Bolt, more interior space than the Bolt, then the Leaf is a better choice. Especially as this is a Lease, and you can bail in three years if not happy.

smkettner said:
So get a used Bolt. Carmax $29,000 to $35,000.

Which is a ripoff, given that a new Bolt LT can be had for around $34k in my area according to TrueCar (one local dealer has them advertised for under $33k), plus you get the $7500 tax credit, plus any state/local incentives, which you wouldn't get by buying used.

RonDawg said:
smkettner said:
So get a used Bolt. Carmax $29,000 to $35,000.

Which is a ripoff, given that a new Bolt LT can be had for around $34k in my area according to TrueCar (one local dealer has them advertised for under $33k), plus you get the $7500 tax credit, plus any state/local incentives, which you wouldn't get by buying used.

Supply and demand. Very few used Bolts on the market and demand for used Bolts from people that can not use the full $7500 tax credit. Same thing happened with the LEAF back in 2012 and 2013. Prices for used didn't drop until the lease returns started to hit the market. I'd expect the same with Bolts. Not a ripoff if and only if you want a Bolt AND you don't get enough of the tax credit to make new cheaper AND can't wait for the lease returns to hit the market. So I guess I mostly agree...

Back