Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
Valid points! But there's still a real question how well a BEV (~ 200 miles) at $35K - $40K will be the turning point for BEV acceptance. The Model 3 appeal results from other factors, e.g. status, which is one of its major appeals versus functionality/overall costs for the typical ICEV consumer. That's the major volume market, i.e. a transition vehicle which is "transparent" overall to the consumer, e.g. today's hybrid.
I see the transition to BEVs to be more of a steady growth of sales rather than an abrupt transition. Also, I don't see Tesla selling (m)any Model 3s for less than $45K during the next two years. They've never hit their promised price before, and I don't expect them to start now. Chevy and Nissan, OTOH, should be able to easily sell their products for $35K or below. Perhaps Nissan will have a very compelling LEAF 2 offering for less than $30K.

RegGuheert said:
I see the transition to BEVs to be more of a steady growth of sales rather than an abrupt transition.

Right, no exponential curve!

RegGuheert said:
Also, I don't see Tesla selling (m)any Model 3s for less than $45K during the next two years. They've never hit their promised price before, and I don't expect them to start now.

And at the expense of Model S volume to a certain extent, i.e. the Model S & 3 look very similar - and that's the
key Tesla appeal for many.

RegGuheert said:
Chevy and Nissan, OTOH, should be able to easily sell their products for $35K or below. Perhaps Nissan will have a very compelling LEAF 2 offering for less than $30K

It's all a simple function of the battery cost curve.

lorenfb said:
RegGuheert said:
I see the transition to BEVs to be more of a steady growth of sales rather than an abrupt transition.
I think the growth in BEV sales will be exponential for the foreseeable future. I just don't expect the exponent to be overly large. It appears that sales will increase by 20% YOY in 2017. That's a doubling of sales approximately every three years or so.

Time will tell.

RegGuheert said:
lorenfb said:
RegGuheert said:
I think the growth in BEV sales will be exponential for the foreseeable future. I just don't expect the exponent to be overly large. It appears that sales will increase by 20% YOY in 2017. That's a doubling of sales approximately every three years or so.

Time will tell.

Yes, time will tell. InsideEVs' guesstimate, given their vehicle focus, is obviously somewhat self-interest motivated.

RegGuheert said:
lorenfb said:
Valid points! But there's still a real question how well a BEV (~ 200 miles) at $35K - $40K will be the turning point for BEV acceptance. The Model 3 appeal results from other factors, e.g. status, which is one of its major appeals versus functionality/overall costs for the typical ICEV consumer. That's the major volume market, i.e. a transition vehicle which is "transparent" overall to the consumer, e.g. today's hybrid.
I see the transition to BEVs to be more of a steady growth of sales rather than an abrupt transition. Also, I don't see Tesla selling (m)any Model 3s for less than $45K during the next two years. They've never hit their promised price before, and I don't expect them to start now. Chevy and Nissan, OTOH, should be able to easily sell their products for $35K or below. Perhaps Nissan will have a very compelling LEAF 2 offering for less than $30K.

This seems to be the likely scenario with most likely range listed first.

Chevy sells Bolt 240 mile range low to mid 30's

LEAF II 160 miles of range mid to low 20's

T3 210 miles of range, low to mid 40's.

Hard to see them fighting for the same space when there is plenty to go around.

RegGuheert said:
If Tesla cannot produce the car in some volume rather quickly, there may be quite a few defectors to other brands.

But not necessarily BEVs ! Only a small % of 400k reservation holders would consider a Bolt instead of 3. Most of them will go back to their usual ICE brands & models.

Via IEVS:
Chevrolet Bolt EV An IIHS Top Safety Pick – Crash Test Videos
http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-iihs-crash-test-videos/
. . . The Bolt turned in good reports in all five crashworthiness tests, and only fell short on one count: poor-rated headlights.

On that count, IIHS explains:

“They provide fair to good visibility but produce excessive glare for oncoming drivers. . . .”

Via GCR:
Drive a Chevy Bolt EV electric car 313 miles on a charge: here's how
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1111083_drive-a-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-313-miles-on-a-charge-heres-how

Non-stop across Maryland (dropped 2,500 feet), averaged 56 mph. Direct link to owner's blog post: https://bro05.blogspot.jp/2017/06/drive-across-state-of-maryland-313.html

On Thursday, June 22, 2017, we celebrated the 5th anniversary of BC2BC by driving the nearly 1400 miles from San Diego to Bellingham, Washington in 45 total hours.

The car that was driven was the same model that I drove from BC2BC in 2013, the Toyota Rav4 EV. It took me 9 days in 2012 in a 2012 LEAF, and 5 days in 2013 in a 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV.

The Rav4 used last week was modified with our JdeMO fast charging kit, to allow 45kW charging at over 14,000 CHAdeMO stations worldwide.

With the exemption of an overnight stay in Redding while charging on J1772, and a quick stop in Yreka for lunch (while charging on a Tesla Roadster charge station), the entire trip was done with JdeMO.

Departed 1pm from San Diego, Thursday, June 22, 2017

60 miles

The Shops
555 Shops at Mission Viejo
Mission Viejo, CA

88 miles

Bridgeport Marketplace
23811 Newhall Ranch Road
Santa Clarita, CA

73 miles

Walmart
6225 Colony St
Bakersfield, CA

84 miles

Visalia Parking Garage
320 E. Acequia Ave
Visalia, CA

110 miles

Applegate Plaza
1265 Commerce Ave
Atwater, CA

83 miles

Raleys
10430 Twin Cities Road
Galt, CA

110 miles

Butte College
2480 Notredame
Chico, CA

72 miles

Red Lion Hotel
(overnight stay)
1830 Hilltop
Redding, CA

100 miles

Comfort Inn
1804 Ft Jones Rd
Yreka, CA

38 miles

Shell station
2371 Ashland St
Ashland, OR

89 miles

Seven Feathers
130 Creekside Rd
Canyonville, OR

76 miles

Vintage Inn Restaurant
1590 Gateway Blvd
Cottage Grove, OR

54 miles

Chevron
33157 Oregon 34
Albany, OR

95 miles

Country Café
6370 Pioneer Street
Pioneer, WA

90 miles

Shell station
6131 Capitol Blvd SE
Tumwater, WA

80 miles

AAA Lynnwood
3000 196th St SW
Lynnwood, WA

72 miles

Sehome Village
222 36th St
Bellingham, WA

8 miles

Bellingham Airport
4255 Mitchell Way
Bellingham, WA

1382 miles total

11am arrival on June 24, 2017

Thank you for sharing details of your 2017 BC2BC rally. Did you mean to post this in a different thread? More on-topic, were any Bolts part of the trip, and if so how well did they do with the CCS infrastructure versus your JdeMO?

GetOffYourGas said:
Thank you for sharing details of your 2017 BC2BC rally. Did you mean to post this in a different thread? More on-topic, were any Bolts part of the trip, and if so how well did they do with the CCS infrastructure versus your JdeMO?

I'm responding to the folks who posted their trip in a Bolt EV. I did the same trip... with a 5 year old EV.

TonyWilliams said:
GetOffYourGas said:

I'm responding to the folks who posted their trip in a Bolt EV. I did the same trip... with a 5 year old EV.

Ok, that makes sense. It was not clear to me that your post was in response to those trips. I take it that the trip was just you in your Rav4, and no other cars were part of the trip?

Even though it is obviously possible in your 5 year old EV, it seems very tedious to stop every <100 miles for a 20-30 minute charge. The Bolt can do a little better on the first leg, but still only gets 90 miles from a 20-30 minute charge. So we have made progress, but nothing earth-shattering.

I'm jealous of you guys who have the resources to make long distance trips in EVs. The day is fast approaching when I can do the same, but we are not quite there yet.

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
Yeah, I'd think Tony's post belongs in the BC2BC thread, old as that is.

The drive that was just completed a couple of days ago? Is all that Hydrogen clouding your glasses?
Nah, just seemed to be the best fit (either that or the RAV4 topic), as your post doesn't have anything to do with the Bolt (which is the topic). We know that all BEVs are poorly suited for such trips compared to the alternatives, but I'm mildly curious as to why you chose to use your RAV 4 instead of the better-suited Model S - was it just to advertise the JdeMO?

Back