Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Too many Bolts?

https://electrek.co/2017/07/18/gm-chevy-bolt-ev-inventory-factory-shutdown/
How about not enough sales :lol:

Funny, others don't seem to be having this issue right now. Really only GM & Ford.

JasonA said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Too many Bolts?

https://electrek.co/2017/07/18/gm-chevy-bolt-ev-inventory-factory-shutdown/
How about not enough sales :lol:

Funny, others don't seem to be having this issue right now. Really only GM & Ford.

So much for it being a 'threat' to Model 3 future sales ... apparently not enough interest to cancel enough M3 deposits and switch (despite many pundits that say the Bolt spelled doom for Tesla)

http://insideevs.com/jp-morgan-analyst-says-chevrolet-bolt/

http://fortune.com/2016/09/13/chevy-bolt-range/

But others recognized its 'sensible' over 'sexy' ... had a chance to check out a Bolt recently; reminds me of just about any recent Chevy hatchback, its simply 'OK' without any 'wow' factor but then again many don't like the LEAF design either so we'll be seeing somthing more mainstream in the next gen version

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-design-different-chevy-bolt-2017-5/#-1

Thanks ... but I'll wait for my Model 3 while driving my 'stop gap' VW e-Golf

My employee purchased some Chevy Bolts as fleet vehicles and they brought some to the office for employees to check out. I was amazed by how uncomfortable the car is. Granted, I'm 6'-3", but my Leaf is very comfortable while the Bolt is one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in. A lot of people were excited to check out the car based on the emphatic reviews, but nearly all came away supremely dissapointed.

webb14leafs said:
I also think it was idiotic (but typical) of GM to utilize a unique fast charging port. Thanks for installing something that will almost definitely be obsolete in a year or less.

The official SAE standard is hardly a "unique" fast charging port. It is the same port that is also used by Ford, BMW, VW, and others.

GetOffYourGas said:
webb14leafs said:
I also think it was idiotic (but typical) of GM to utilize a unique fast charging port. Thanks for installing something that will almost definitely be obsolete in a year or less.

You're correct GetOffYourGas. Thanks for correcting me. When I told the Fleet Rep that it had a different connector than my Leaf, she said it was a proprietary port. I should've doublechecked.

Crow swallowed.

webb14leafs said:
My employee purchased some Chevy Bolts as fleet vehicles and they brought some to the office for employees to check out. I was amazed by how uncomfortable the car is. Granted, I'm 6'-3", but my Leaf is very comfortable while the Bolt is one of the most uncomfortable cars I've ever been in. A lot of people were excited to check out the car based on the emphatic reviews, but nearly all came away supremely dissapointed.
I agree with you. I'm 6'2 and found it extremely uncomfortable.

hyperionmark said:
webb14leafs said:

Well, I'm 6'-4" and I find it more comfortable than any other EV except the i3. Same goes for my son, who is 6'-6" and my brother who is a bit over 6'-6". And the Bolt is better for my spouse, who is 5'-9".

The backseat of the Leaf is its Achilles Heel - we will be replacing our Leaf with a Bolt EV, specifically because it is much more comfortable for my family, and the range, of course.

hyperionmark said:
webb14leafs said:
A resounding +1 from this 6'1'er. Leaf comfortable, Bolt not so.....Volt even worse! Why Chevy chose a seat so uncomfortable for many is beyond me. I mean how many people do you know that complain about the seats on something like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, well unless there comparing them to something like a Cadillac or other much larger expensive car. For $30k for a vehicle to have seats like the Bolt or Volt to have is just plain unacceptable for many, including me. If the Bolt seats fit you, great, but seeing how much excessive inventory Chevy has, apparently you might be in the minority......

NeilBlanchard said:
hyperionmark said:
webb14leafs said:

Well, I'm 6'-4" and I find it more comfortable than any other EV except the i3. Same goes for my son, who is 6'-6" and my brother who is a bit over 6'-6". And the Bolt is better for my spouse, who is 5'-9".

The backseat of the Leaf is its Achilles Heel - we will be replacing our Leaf with a Bolt EV, specifically because it is much more comfortable for my family, and the range, of course.
I would be utterly shocked if someone who already plunked down $30k for one is going to say it is uncomfortable. It's called choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization.

hyperionmark said:
.l.I would be utterly shocked if someone who already plunked down $30k for one is going to say it is uncomfortable. It's called choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization.

Why? Some of the most critical people would be the ones that bought a product which doesn't meet their expectations.
Also, dismissing someone's opinion because they bought a product seems illogical.

Zythryn said:
hyperionmark said:
.l.I would be utterly shocked if someone who already plunked down $30k for one is going to say it is uncomfortable. It's called choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization.

Why? Some of the most critical people would be the ones that bought a product which doesn't meet their expectations.
Also, dismissing someone's opinion because they bought a product seems illogical.
Purchase bias runs both directions, but it would be a mistake to presume they cancel each other out. So read both sides with some skepticism.

webb14leafs said:
...I was amazed by how uncomfortable the car is....

Thin Seat, designed to save space, certainly seems more polarizing than average. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason though as to who will find it uncomfortable. Drivers short, tall, big, and small, have ended up in both camps. Only your keister knows for sure ;)

KeiJidosha said:
webb14leafs said:
...I was amazed by how uncomfortable the car is....

Thin Seat, designed to save space, certainly seems more polarizing than average. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason though as to who will find it uncomfortable. Drivers short, tall, big, and small, have ended up in both camps. Only your keister knows for sure ;)
The Bolt LT's cloth seats have much thicker cushions than the Premier's leather ones, and many people that have complained about the side rails are in Premiers where the cushion has compressed down to where they're sitting on the rails themselves. Others, typically those with broader builds, have complained about the restriciveness of the side bolsters, which are fine for people with narrower builds and/or those wanting more performance-oriented seats.

In any case, the seat issue seems to be pretty easy for GM to fix, albeit it will probably have to wait for the 2018 model year. Getting a new seat supplier (or just changing the seat specs) is a lot less work than fixing something major inherent to the design.

The Bolt LT's cloth seats have much thicker cushions than the Premier's leather ones, and many people that have complained about the side rails are in Premiers where the cushion has compressed down to where they're sitting on the rails themselves.

I've been following this in the Bolt forum, and the issue isn't cloth vs leather seats. It's poor build quality of many of the cushions underneath the seat covers, and it affects both cloth and leather seats. There are both good and bad cloth-covered seats and good and bad leather-covered seats. A fix is available for this, and it takes about 20 minutes to do at home. The actual dimensions of the seats are a design issue, and unlike the bottom cushion problem there is no fix available. There is also no fix yet available for poor padding in the seat backs.

LeftieBiker said:
The Bolt LT's cloth seats have much thicker cushions than the Premier's leather ones, and many people that have complained about the side rails are in Premiers where the cushion has compressed down to where they're sitting on the rails themselves.

I've been following this in the Bolt forum, and the issue isn't cloth vs leather seats. It's poor build quality of many of the cushions underneath the seat covers, and it affects both cloth and leather seats. There are both good and bad cloth-covered seats and good and bad leather-covered seats. A fix is available for this, and it takes about 20 minutes to do at home. The actual dimensions of the seats are a design issue, and unlike the bottom cushion problem there is no fix available. There is also no fix yet available for poor padding in the seat backs.
You've undoubtedly been following it more recently there than I have, so I defer to your knowledge. My comments represented the state of understanding/consensus on the issue a month or two back.

Part of the problem is that people experience the seats as either "fine" or "terrible" and form more general opinions based on that. We just aren't used to cars with such stark differences in seat quality from one 2017 Bolt to another 2017 Bolt.

NeilBlanchard said:
hyperionmark said:
webb14leafs said:

Shocked by this comment. I'm not trying to be super negative. I like small cars (my previous car was Saturn SL2), and I was excited about the Bolt, but I can't imaging anyone taller than me liking that car. There was absolutely no way I could ride in the back seat, and the driver's seat was doable, but not enjoyable. I will say there was enough leg room, but the seat was tiny (and I'm a beanpole), and it had very little head room. Maybe if you're all legs it would work.

webb14leafs said:
NeilBlanchard said:
hyperionmark said:

Shocked by this comment. I'm not trying to be super negative. I like small cars (my previous car was Saturn SL2), and I was excited about the Bolt, but I can't imaging anyone taller than me liking that car. There was absolutely no way I could ride in the back seat, and the driver's seat was doable, but not enjoyable. I will say there was enough leg room, but the seat was tiny (and I'm a beanpole), and it had very little head room. Maybe if you're all legs it would work.
Yes you are not wrong in that respect, at least IMO. Like the Volt, the Bolt had very good leg length room, not as good for height from seat top to roof(for sure seat top to door opening). In fact both the Bolt and Volt are one of the few cars I didn't immediately push the seat back as far as it would go, I tried that and had to pull the seat forward probably 2" on the Bolt and an unbelievable 3" on the Volt, obviously both are designed for someone with very long legs(36"+ inseam) but a shorter or normal torso(IOW not someone like me who needs to purchase tall shirts).
Trust me, like the Volt I REALLY wanted the Bolt to work and be comfortable for me, on paper it's a great car but it didn't take more than a few minutes inside it to realize that like the Volt, the Bolt in it's current design just wasn't the car for me :(

Back