edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Re: The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:25 am

edatoakrun wrote:
cwerdna wrote:... "Coding" removes the crippling by apparently enabling that feature in US i3's but doing so is likely frowned up by BMW NA and even more likely by CARB (might even be illegal).

Plenty of US i3 REx drivers have "coded" their cars...

I don't think there is any doubt that this is illegal.

And for i3 drivers who applied for and collected the CA BEVx rebates, you can probably add additional civil and/or criminal liability.

The tolerance shown by both BMW and CARB for "coding" is likely to end only after this activity is more widely reported.

Might become be a significant scandal at that point, IMO.

Future WSJ sensationalist headline?

CALIFORNIA PAID $ MILLIONS TO BMW OWNERS WHO CHEATED ON SMOG REGULATIONS

GRA wrote:It will never be a scandal, because having the REx means that people are driving more EV miles, not less...

LeftieBiker wrote:Given how unpleasant the i3 Rex seems to be to drive in Rex mode, I doubt that many people will drive around on the ICE.

I think both of your assumptions are incorrect.

The comment below was posted yesterday:

...I deactivated the legal disclaimer (yea!!!!) and then enabled 'hold state of charge' for the REx. I even set one of the presets on the dash to turn on (or off) the 'hold state of charge function. I then went for a drive, and it all worked like a charm. It was dead simple to do.

With the ability to 'hold state of charge' you can travel between cities where charging infrastructure along the way may not be adequate, but where finding gasoline is easy. It gives you basically unlimited mileage between charging stations as long as you stop for gas...

Liberating your Rex is a necessity, and one which will make the wonderful i3 that much more so, and allow you to use the REx as it was designed to be used and not hamstrung by regulatory compliance...

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 37ea7ad584

That statement particularly applies to California.

BMW has claimed to have developed the DC infrastructure on California freeways, but in fact only promoted the installation of single-unit, CCS-only DC chargers, that often supply far lower than the (slow) 24 kW claimed (when they function at all) and at far higher cost-per-mile than by just filling up with gasoline and driving on the REx.

BMW has not only tolerated, but for all practical purposes actually encouraged California i-3 REx buyers to code to enable long gas-fueled trips by evading the BEVx regulations.
no condition is permanent

GRA

Re: The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:51 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
GRA wrote:It will never be a scandal, because having the REx means that people are driving more EV miles, not less...

LeftieBiker wrote:Given how unpleasant the i3 Rex seems to be to drive in Rex mode, I doubt that many people will drive around on the ICE.

I think both of your assumptions are incorrect.

The comment below was posted yesterday:
<snip description of uncoded i3>

That statement particularly applies to California.

BMW has claimed to have developed the DC infrastructure on California freeways, but in fact only promoted the installation of single-unit, CCS-only DC chargers, that often supply far lower than the (slow) 24 kW claimed (when they function at all) and at far higher cost-per-mile than by just filling up with gasoline and driving on the REx.

BMW has not only tolerated, but for all practical purposes actually encouraged California i-3 REx buyers to code to enable long gas-fueled trips by evading the BEVx regulations.

Which does nothing to invalidate my assumption, as the car is undoubtedly being driven far more often in total, including fully using the battery on trips where the car simply wouldn't be used otherwise. You are correct that the situation in most of California's major metro areas is ill-suited for the REx when crippled, IF people want to take inter-regional road trips. Most of our metro areas have common road trips that involve longish flat approaches which deplete the battery, followed by long climbs afterwards which the Rex is incapable of managing safely on its own. For people who use the REx as intended by CARB, as a way to relieve range anxiety and boost PEV sales for local use rather than a means to enable a road trip, there's no issue. That the REx has boosted total PEV sales is pretty clear, as both my personal counts as well as sales figures indicate that the REx outsells the BEV i3 by 2.5 or 3 to 1. Given that the base car goes for $42k, it's pretty much a no-brainer to spend another $3k (1/14th more) and more than double the car's utility, while ensuring that its full battery capacity is regularly used.

It's the % of the population who are unwilling to spend $45K for a car and be unable to use it for common road trips that will code. I personally think the BEVx reg is stupid and would undoubtedly code if I were willing to spend that much on a car instead of say a Volt, which is a better road trip car in any case. IMO they should just have been classified as PHEVs, but that's on BMW for wanting to get as many credits as they could by selling as many cars that would qualify for unlimited white HOV stickers, given the limited number of green HOV stickers that were originally available. As it was, CARB said uh-uh, you get green stickers, but did give them the full credits. And then the Legislature kept increasing and finally eliminated the cap on green stickers, by which point BMW was perfectly happy to sell quite conventional PHEVs (with far too limited AERs in my opinion; I believe CARB should impose a minimum AER of say 20 miles) across their line, instead of the highly specialized REx. Hopefully they'll just eliminate the BEVx category now.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”