Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
GetOffYourGas said:
...I love cars because I love driving. Tesla makes the electric cars that should be the most driver-oriented. But then they do everything they can to remove the driver from the experience of actually driving. It's that tension that drives me away. At least my Bolt makes no pretense of wanting to drive for me, or making me talk to it to perform routine functions (no wiper stalk? really?)....
My feelings exactly. It's as if they're hell-bent on autonomous cars but have to begrudgingly put up with accommodating human drivers. So enamored with software that they are blind to the advantages of dedicated human-hardware interfaces that have evolved in over a century of use.

I applaud the range and it's a nice-looking car. The supercharging network shows that Tesla understands and is committed to making EVs feasible. However, for me to own one to drive? No thanks. I want the wiper stalk. I want knobs and levers I can reach and actuate without looking or a moment's thought. That stay off when I mean them to be off and turn on when I tell them to turn on. I DO NOT want the car deciding and I don't want to take my eyes off the road to dig through menus, and I don't want to verbally negotiate with a goddamned computer to accomplish something that should only take a flick of the wrist.
+1x10^6. And why in hell should I need a card or have to buy a phone to open the friggin' doors?

lpickup said:
As for the phones, let me say that obviously I don't know whether or not it will be a problem. Maybe Tesla finally has done a Bluetooth implementation that actually works with all the various phones on the market and somehow they are able to accurately get the distance right. I am just expressing my fear that there will be issues.
Some folks (not surprisingly) are having issues. See https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/phone-as-key-issues.105508/, for example.

And, the OP of https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/clicking-clunking-while-parked.104847/ K-MTG has discovered some other interesting issues.

GetOffYourGas said:
keydiver said:
If you can't deal with that, maybe a Tesla isn't for you, and there are plenty of other cars out there.

Here's the thing, though. There really aren't plenty of other cars out there. There's the Bolt, and eventually Nissan will catch up with the 2019 Leaf. That's three whole options. And neither the Bolt nor the Leaf have anywhere near the supporting quick-charge infrastructure.

I understand that there are certain things that are trendy. Auto-pilot. Large touch screens. Treating your car like a piece of electronics (e.g. OTA updates). None of that really appeals to me. I love cars because I love driving. Tesla makes the electric cars that should be the most driver-oriented. But then they do everything they can to remove the driver from the experience of actually driving. It's that tension that drives me away. At least my Bolt makes no pretense of wanting to drive for me, or making me talk to it to perform routine functions (no wiper stalk? really?).

For those who want to enjoy the above trends, by all means do so. The Model 3 is a wonderful car and I am by no means putting it down. It is truly revolutionary, in the same way that the Model S was before it.

Right now there are not many options, but within the next few years that's going to change. There are going to be plenty of EVs coming to market with good range and better prices, so it may be best for people to wait. I keep hearing people with EVs now say they consider themselves early adopters and that would make sense given your comments. As for the Model 3, I'm not a fan of Tesla, but I do think the car looks gorgeous. What I do not like is the interior and the tablet. I've already seen several car reviews of the Model 3 and the tablet is probably the one thing everyone is complaining about because just about EVERYTHING has to be done through it. That requires you to have to continuously take your eyes off the road as you are having to look to the right and navigate through menus, etc.

Most of the TS issues are hyped and any issues will be addressed in a software update. When I fist drove an S I fought some things until I realized I had no need for many controls I thought I used to need. The best part is there will always be choices, just like the fact that you can still get a flip phone when you have consumer cellular,etc. I also expect voice control to address most peoples issues and don't worry it's not needed for turn signals. If you are still using an AOL email account then Tesla may not be your car. Yes, you know who your are:)

I've been gone the past couple months. So now that model 3 is starting to hit consumers' hands these are my impressions:

• I still don't like the ipad as the only interface, even though most people who've driven it say it's pretty good. A HUD would have been nice to have
  • I wish it had more buttons and don't like the idea of using touch screen for even things as essential as setting wipers
  • Of professional car reviews the reviews run the gamut from moderately impressed to making offers of marriage. I've yet to see a largely negative review, and I've read some almost embarrassingly positive ones from major mags and drivers.
  • Although I have voice control on everything I've ever used, if Tesla gets it right, many of the problems with touch screen can be removed.
    I really believe in the potential of voice activated controls for music, climate, wipers, cruise, etc.
  • Tesla released a beta model and will keep dropping more updates, just as they do on the S. Even fairly major convenience features can often be released at a later date, without a visit to the dealer. This is so obvious a way to update cars I wonder when other manufacturers will start doing it, or if they are even capable of it. By this I mean even if I buy a new Toyota Camry now, what are the odds Toyota is going to continue and enhance development of the user interface and various options, such as tweaking auto wipers? What are the odds that a car bought now without, say, image recognition of me as I approach the car to unlock it, will be released? Because with Tesla they are good, with Toyota they are zero
  • I've had a reservation since last summer. I am concerned about tesla's health, the smallish size of the car, the fact it's first model year of a brand new model line from a newish company, etc. but despite all that I'm currently slightly leaning more than 50% toward configuring once my number comes up (else keeping my current hybrid, most likely). And I'm 100% positive I'll never buy a Nissan Leaf Gen 2. I would hang my head in my hands and scream in agony if I were at the wheel of one and a model 3 drove by me. I would pray to God that the driver of the model 3 did not look my way in pity, and pray harder still we don't make eye contact and he sees the lament in my soul
  • Further to last comment, comparing this car to the leaf and bolt is increasingly silly. The latter are pedestrian vehicles that happen to have EV drive trains. By all accounts the Model 3 drives like, and is like, a premium brand vehicle (BMW, Lexus, etc.)
  • The lack of a key fob is a sore point for many and using a phone to unlock is a big pile of crap. But, this is Tesla, it's not nissan or ford. The car doesn't go out the door and then get no support unless it's recalled; no more development. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they release a proper key fob later (yeah you'd have to pay for it). I suppose I didn't grasp this fully until recently, either, but this is a car they keep developing even after you buy it. They do this because functionality released to new cars can be copied to old. They've had this concept built in from the first S. No other major brand is doing this I'm aware of. You buy a Honda today, it will have a different touch screen depending on trim, depending on model year, etc. All this does is make it totally impossible to update the interface because devs would have to cover multiple form factors. Tesla did get that right.

Last thing, I'd recommend anybody who is in a city with, or visits a city with, a Tesla show room to schedule a test drive. Most people have never experienced a high power EV drive train. That lack of lag you get in the nissan leaf. Now multiply its horsepower by 3X. It's really impressive to have that instant throttle with legitimate power.

My guess is that anyone that spends much time with the car will see they won't have the dependency on the screen. I really don't touch mine except for music and nav and that is so much safer, I agree with your summary and I also expect the key operation to be improved, I am glad they did that I hate FOBS!

EVDRIVER said:
I also expect voice control to address most peoples issues and don't worry it's not needed for turn signals. If you are still using an AOL email account then Tesla may not be your car. Yes, you know who your are:)

Having a problem parsing concerns some have expressed and have to resort to an ad hominem? Yep, it's par for the course!

I see your sense of humor and inability to detect sarcasm is back. No VIN trolling today? Did you get your 3 yet? ***Sarcasm)

EVDRIVER said:
... If you are still using an AOL email account then Tesla may not be your car. Yes, you know who your are:)

Meh. I WROTE an email program in 1978 :) Nearly 40 years in IT. But I also have some background in human factors, perception and physiology. Software is a great tool but not in a vacuum. "It'll all be fixed in the next release" -- not sure I can count how many long nights I spent when that didn't pan out. ;)

Perhaps what the model 3 needs is the Echo Silver. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk[/youtube]

Configured my Model 3 last night:)
Sounds like most owners who place their order the first day in the U.S. now have the ability to configure their order.

EVDRIVER said:
I see your sense of humor and inability to detect sarcasm is back. No VIN trolling today? Did you get your 3 yet? ***Sarcasm)

I have better uses for $45K-$55K in my asset portfolio.

lorenfb said:
EVDRIVER said:

Since cars are typically poor investments and EVs being the worst example of that I would agree.

lorenfb said:
EVDRIVER said:

Try $60k-$65k. If you were buying a $45k-$55k Model 3, you most certainly would not have it yet.

GetOffYourGas said:
lorenfb said:
EVDRIVER said:

Try $60k-$65k. If you were buying a $45k-$55k Model 3, you most certainly would not have it yet.

They will be so yes you will be able to get one that way. Presently I can order one right now for $49 with all fees pre-tax, I just configured one to see the minimum. Adding everything is $59K pre tax and that include full autonomous, not sure who is ordering that now.

EVDRIVER said:
GetOffYourGas said:
lorenfb said:

They will be so yes you will be able to get one that way. Presently I can order one right now for $49 with all fees pre-tax, I just configured one to see the minimum. Adding everything is $59K pre tax and that include full autonomous, not sure who is ordering that now.

I'm not debating this. But you had asked if lorenfb had his Model 3 yet. They aren't yet available at these prices.

EVDRIVER said:
GetOffYourGas said:
lorenfb said:

Peeps cray if they are actually paying for FSD.

I am holding out for the SR and I plan on skipping EAP for now (sadly). That has me at $42k for premium, midnight silver, wheels, then take another $6k off in various tax credits depending on when it's ready. Course the extended range right now still qualifies for full federal tax credit.

Right now a person can be into a premium extended range for about $40k, depending on any state credits offered.

Nubo said:
EVDRIVER said:
... If you are still using an AOL email account then Tesla may not be your car. Yes, you know who your are:)

Meh. I WROTE an email program in 1978 :) Nearly 40 years in IT. But I also have some background in human factors, perception and physiology. Software is a great tool but not in a vacuum. "It'll all be fixed in the next release" -- not sure I can count how many long nights I spent when that didn't pan out. ;)

Perhaps what the model 3 needs is the Echo Silver. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk[/youtube]
OT :lol: Thanks for that! I stopped watching SNL regularly about the time the first gen of NRFPP moved on, so missed the Eddie Murphy era and everything since. Glad to see they can still do fake commercials well - I think the first SNL bit I ever saw while idly flipping channels as a teen was the "Spud Beer" commercial (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75fspud.phtml), and I had no idea what the hell I was watching for a bit. And then there's what may well be the all-time winner, Dan Ackroyd and the "Bass-O-Matic" (http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bassomatic/n8631?snl=1).

Back OT, +1 for all the HF, perception, physiology issues involved in touchscreen and/or voice commands, although much of my knowledge was gained second hand via a former girlfriend.

GetOffYourGas said:
lorenfb said:
EVDRIVER said:

I agree totally, but I'm trying to be less negative lately about Tesla.

Back