DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm

CCS seems to be a regional favorite right now. The East Coast has 10X more than we do.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 pm

jlv wrote:...In no way was I implying the general DCFC infrastructure (CCS or otherwise) to be anything close to the SC infrastructure. The SC network is the reason I bought a Model S and it's why I've been able to put over 16K miles on it in under a year. SC is a massive competitive advantage to Tesla.

Up here in New England it seems like the SC network is growing by leaps and bounds: it sure seems like it has close to doubled in the last year.

Case in point: This past weekend I took a 250 mile trip to Maine to go skiing at a ski area we visit every year. The trip was only doable because the ski area had a destination charger. Tesla has 3 additional SC sites planned on that route that should be open when we take the trip again next year.
That is fantastic.

Below are 25 mile radius circles!!
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:26 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:...Tesla has a massive head start, but I believe that CCS will catch up and overtake it...
While I agree that there is a good chance of that, one big difference is that the CCS network, if I can call it that, has a hodge-podge of charger owners and billing systems. That's a huge difference from a centrally designed, managed, and billed Supercharger network. Unless something changes, that makes CCS a lot more trouble to use for road trips.

For the Supercharger network, billing is automatic — you do nothing except plug-in — the car knows where all the sites are, can route you through them, navigate you to them, and give you a status report for each site before you head to it. It is hard for me to see how the CCS network ever gets to that stage.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

GRA

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:...Tesla has a massive head start, but I believe that CCS will catch up and overtake it...
While I agree that there is a good chance of that, one big difference is that the CCS network, if I can call it that, has a hodge-podge of charger owners and billing systems. That's a huge difference from a centrally designed, managed, and billed Supercharger network. Unless something changes, that makes CCS a lot more trouble to use for road trips.

For the Supercharger network, billing is automatic — you do nothing except plug-in — the car knows where all the sites are, can route you through them, navigate you to them, and give you a status report for each site before you head to it. It is hard for me to see how the CCS network ever gets to that stage.

The Electrify America network will all be managed by Greenlots, so that should considerably reduce the SC network's advantages once it's built out. All the rest will probably remain a hodgepodge, but I expect if public charging is ever commercially profitable it will eventually be like gas stations rather than dedicated networks - credit/debit card/cash accepted, and competing stations on every corner. We'll have to see how fast EA will fill the gaps, but at least they're planning an efficient X-C route for starters.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

scottf200

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Jan-Feb 2018 SCs (Hello Michigan construction even in the Winter)

scottf200

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:38 am

I keep seeing new permits pop up.

NE getting some love. SE some more.

GRA

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:56 pm

There's depressingly little expansion of coverage into new areas going on; Poncha Springs was about the only one last month. The rest seem to be adding density along existing routes, and especially boosting urban capacity. Gaylord, MI is one of the few under construction (156 days now) that expands into a new area. Tesla can plead weather for Gaylord, but that doesn't explain why almost nothing has been done to complete I-10/20 in Texas: San Antonio is at least under construction, but Ft. Stockton (permitted for 460 days now) and Pecos (permitted for 121 days) remain dormant.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:01 pm

GRA wrote:There's depressingly little expansion of coverage into new areas going on; Poncha Springs was about the only one last month. The rest seem to be adding density along existing routes, and especially boosting urban capacity. Gaylord, MI is one of the few under construction (156 days now) that expands into a new area. Tesla can plead weather for Gaylord, but that doesn't explain why almost nothing has been done to complete I-10/20 in Texas: San Antonio is at least under construction, but Ft. Stockton (permitted for 460 days now) and Pecos (permitted for 121 days) remain dormant.

Let's see...states that don't allow sales are suffering from slow expansion. If you can't sell cars then you probably have fewer customers and therefore less need for charging.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

scottf200

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 pm

palmermd wrote:
GRA wrote:There's depressingly little expansion of coverage into new areas going on; Poncha Springs was about the only one last month. The rest seem to be adding density along existing routes, and especially boosting urban capacity. Gaylord, MI is one of the few under construction (156 days now) that expands into a new area. Tesla can plead weather for Gaylord, but that doesn't explain why almost nothing has been done to complete I-10/20 in Texas: San Antonio is at least under construction, but Ft. Stockton (permitted for 460 days now) and Pecos (permitted for 121 days) remain dormant.
Let's see...states that don't allow sales are suffering from slow expansion. If you can't sell cars then you probably have fewer customers and therefore less need for charging.
Excellent point!

GRA

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Michigan doesn't allow sales, yet Tesla has already built 13 SCs there with 3 more under construction. More importantly, I-10/20 are routes which Tesla has said they are going to complete, and these are about the only X-C primary interstate routes they can work on now without major weather delays. This X-C route is the most likely to be snow-free in the winter.

While we're at it, how is it Tesla hasn't built an SC in Wichita Falls yet, needed to cut off 100 miles or so off the distance to Amarillo by eliminating the dogleg to OKC for people heading to I-40 and continuing west from DFW? Childress sits out there all by its lonesome not serving much except from Amarillo to WF, while WF could connect to Shamrock without it, and has been on the coming soon map forever.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”