Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
lorenfb said:
EVDRIVER said:
Ad hominem attacks are not exclusively reserved for you to use or other members nor is your opinion or mine. Be careful how you pint fingers because you have been called out that before by others as well. Yes that report was mostly positive but we both know that's not the point nor was that your goal. I have no loyalty to Tesla or any other EV company and if I was ever an EV "fanboy" I would say that it was for the LEAF. If you feel you are not treated fairly under the forum rules please let me know and I will be the first to argue on your behalf I can assure you. I will admit you and Ed are the first people I have ever called a troll on this forum. Not the best as it has negative connotations, the implication is one of spamming. If that offended you I apologize but I still reserve the right to express my opinions as do others sans specific terminology. You are also allowed to point out anything you want negative or otherwise but we also know that is not the point because no one has stopped you nor will they.

O.K. So now please change your profile to indicate that you're a moderator. It's time to move-on!
Happy to move on. Please PM me your specific concerns and I will address them related to privacy. My designation for a long time was super moderator or something silly but after donating it changed and for some thecnical reason it could not be changed back. ’ve been clear about being a mod here but it’s not as obvious becase there are few mod activities as a result of reduced traffic over the years. I’m still unclear of the concern you have but if it is related to warnings that’s usually public info that is called out on the thread and appears on your posting. It may not show on yours or others so if that is the case I apologize. Warnings are usually also noted by mods in the thread as well. I don’t agree with many warnings here FYI particularly those that are subjective about opinions. I think you have value to add here considering it is not clouded by the other content. That’s my personal opinion becase as a mod my opinion about other things is irrelevant. I would appreciate that you refrain from continuing to insinuating things unless you are going to PM me about specifics.

Just a simple request; Let forum members know you're a moderator - put it your profile. Thanks

I put nearly 400 miles on my new car in the first weekend and the drive is sublime. The car is enormously powerful, the handling is razor sharp, and the features are great. Somehow it’s getting better Mi/kWh than my Leaf S did.

As for the car’s demerits, the interface to choose music (FM, streaming, USB) needs work and I’m getting a low washer fluid warning when I start the car despite there being plenty in the tank. I called the 800 number through the link on the touchscreen, they remotely scanned my car, and they set up an appointment to have it resolved at the service center nearest my house in early May.

It’s a truly neat car and I’m enjoying the drive even though I’m still a little paranoid about damaging it as I’ve never had a car this expensive.

Drew, I also intermittently get the alarm that my washing fluid is low upon startup, and it isn't. They couldn't find what the problem was at the service center. Please PM me if your service guys find a solution.

Will do. My appointment is May 11th because I’m out of town a lot between now and then.

The warning goes away about two minutes after starting the car and doesn’t return until I start the car again so I’m assuming it’s some software glitch. Maybe a firmware update in the interim will resolve it but for now I’m having too much fun driving to worry about it.

mtndrew1 said:
Will do. My appointment is May 11th because I’m out of town a lot between now and then.

The warning goes away about two minutes after starting the car and doesn’t return until I start the car again so I’m assuming it’s some software glitch. Maybe a firmware update in the interim will resolve it but for now I’m having too much fun driving to worry about it.

What color did you get? Have you used the Redondo or Hawthorne SC yet? Redondo can be annoying with all the local abuse but the other can be very convenient.

Mine is dark grey which seems to be the most common color.

I have not used any superchargers yet and don’t expect to aside from long road trips.

So far I’m exceeding the car’s 310 miles of predicted range so even Palm Springs and back on one charge leaves me with plenty to spare, which is the trip I’m doing this weekend.

I’ll hit a supercharger on Saturday just to make sure it works properly and for novelty but I don’t expect to use the network more than two or three times a year.

After planning every single outing beyond my commute down to the last half mile for the last five years it’s truly bizarre just to get in and go anywhere or deviate from any planned route without even thinking about range and still get home with 200 miles in the “tank.”

I'll be leaving MNL after about 7 years. I'm selling my 2012 LEAF (73,400 miles) tomorrow in preparation for getting my Model 3 sometime in the next 3-5 weeks. Aside from the battery degradation (down 2 bars and expecting to lose a third any day), I greatly enjoyed my Leaf experience. It has been exceptionally reliable and inexpensive to run. I drove a 2018 LEAF on Saturday (April 21st) at an Earth Day ev meetup and was really impressed with it, although I didn't care for the 1 pedal driving. It slows the car down fairly rapidly, but according to the dealer rep riding with me, the brake lights don't come on while this slowing is happening. This seems like a recipe for getting rear-ended. Even if the 2018 LEAF had an equivalent range to the Model 3, I wouldn't have purchased it because of the lack of battery temperature management and the lack of an available nationwide high speed charging network (I live in NY but spend the winter in CA so I drive across the country a couple of times a year). Interestingly enough, I have a DC fast charging port on my LEAF SL, but in the 6 years I've owned it, I never had a chance to use it.
Like others, my new Model 3 will be at least twice as expensive ($50,000) as any other vehicle I've ever owned even though I didn't get EAP, FSD, or the 19" wheels.
Hope to see some of you over at the Model 3 forum at TeslaMotorsClub

ranss12 said:
... but according to the dealer rep riding with me, the brake lights don't come on while this slowing is happening. This seems like a recipe for getting rear-ended.

Not that it matters much for your situation, but this is inaccurate. When using ePedal and decelerating the brake lights do come on to warn those behind you. I verified this from reflections in following vehicles first hand and confirmed with a Nissan NA rep when they brought me one to drive.

The Model 3 will indicate on the little “toy car” displayed on the center screen when the brake lights (and headlights and turn signals for that matter) come on due to deceleration, whether autonomously or via off-throttle regen.

ranss12 said:
I'll be leaving MNL after about 7 years. I'm selling my 2012 LEAF (73,400 miles) tomorrow in preparation for getting my Model 3 sometime in the next 3-5 weeks. Aside from the battery degradation (down 2 bars and expecting to lose a third any day), I greatly enjoyed my Leaf experience. It has been exceptionally reliable and inexpensive to run. I drove a 2018 LEAF on Saturday (April 21st) at an Earth Day ev meetup and was really impressed with it, although I didn't care for the 1 pedal driving. It slows the car down fairly rapidly, but according to the dealer rep riding with me, the brake lights don't come on while this slowing is happening. This seems like a recipe for getting rear-ended. Even if the 2018 LEAF had an equivalent range to the Model 3, I wouldn't have purchased it because of the lack of battery temperature management and the lack of an available nationwide high speed charging network (I live in NY but spend the winter in CA so I drive across the country a couple of times a year). Interestingly enough, I have a DC fast charging port on my LEAF SL, but in the 6 years I've owned it, I never had a chance to use it.
Like others, my new Model 3 will be at least twice as expensive ($50,000) as any other vehicle I've ever owned even though I didn't get EAP, FSD, or the 19" wheels.
Hope to see some of you over at the Model 3 forum at TeslaMotorsClub

Don't be so quick to sell the leaf! I configured my model 3 over 4 weeks ago, and I still don't have a VIN! Wait for the VIN before selling the leaf, as these next "3-5 weeks" would be the longest you've ever been through, especially as you don't have another EV to drive.

ranss12 said:
I'll be leaving MNL after about 7 years. I'm selling my 2012 LEAF (73,400 miles) tomorrow in preparation for getting my Model 3 sometime in the next 3-5 weeks.

Gee, I hadn't really thought about that. I configured my Model 3 last weekend (so expect it to arrive late May/early June) at which time I too will be selling my LEAF (3rd one actually) and as such I probably won't have much first hand experience to share on this forum.

I suppose this one thread would be an applicable one to follow, but yeah, I have to say that the Loren & Ed stream of filtered criticism of Tesla is a bit much to take (as well as EVDRIVER's sometimes over the top responses to such--sorry EVDRIVER, but it does cut both ways--I don't have as much of a problem rebutting the sometimes ridiculous claims made by Loren & Ed (even though it seems pointless), but the rehashing old attacks dozens of times does get old). I guess I don't mind so much the fact that someone is bringing forward fair and factual criticism of the Model 3, because that is useful information, but continually seeking out only negative articles and re-posting here (yes, very rarely a positive or neutral article is posted, but usually only if there is also some negative connotation) tends to show that there is a heavy bias at work, and thus takes away credibility for any factual negatives that may otherwise be brought forward. Rather, I may too just "retire" from this board and hang out on TMC and M3OC where you get much less troll-like behavior, yet still get the positives AND negatives. Plus I don't need to hear another 50-100 times how Tesla will never sell a $35,000 car (at least we finally appear to be over the controversy of whether or not Tesla will sell ANY cars at all, considering that sales to employees weren't really sales at all).

First off, this isn't aimed at any one person - it's just a general thought. It seems as though there are lot of current and former LEAF owners who have decided to get a Tesla. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I even considered doing so myself. However, this choice seems to have lead to a lot of toxicity on MNL. I don't think it is coincidental that the biggest LEAF-bashers on MNL happen to either own or be waiting on a Tesla. Call it confirmation bias or whatever, but it seems as though the would-be Tesla owners have a propensity to dump on their former car choice while they wait. It's a lot easier to convince yourself of the veracity making a car payment the size of a mortgage payment if you can convince yourself there are no viable alternatives. I for one hope that Tesla gets their act together and gets them their cars sooner rather than later so that perhaps they will no longer have a reason to come to MNL just to gripe.

Remember, the grass isn't always greener, but a LEAF is always greener than a Tesla. :D

Joe6pack said:
First off, this isn't aimed at any one person - it's just a general thought. It seems as though there are lot of current and former LEAF owners who have decided to get a Tesla. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I even considered doing so myself. However, this choice seems to have lead to a lot of toxicity on MNL. I don't think it is coincidental that the biggest LEAF-bashers on MNL happen to either own or be waiting on a Tesla. Call it confirmation bias or whatever, but it seems as though the would-be Tesla owners have a propensity to dump on their former car choice while they wait. It's a lot easier to convince yourself of the veracity making a car payment the size of a mortgage payment if you can convince yourself there are no viable alternatives. I for one hope that Tesla gets their act together and gets them their cars sooner rather than later so that perhaps they will no longer have a reason to come to MNL just to gripe.

Remember, the grass isn't always greener, but a LEAF is always greener than a Tesla. :D

Joe, I will try to speak for myself here. I own more Nissan than I do Tesla. I am sure there are those who don't like to see my contrary feeling of the Leaf batteries and rapid depreciation of Leaf value. But I also post how much we like our Leaf's in every other way (not nearly as often).

The two Leafs (that we still have) are meeting our short range needs, although one of them sits pretty much unused for the past year. I did rent it out for a month during that time. I am probably going to put it for rent on Turo as I don't want to take a great loss because of such poor resale value. The positive side to such depressed value is that many people can own EV's at a lower price point. The looks of the older Leafs have grown on us over time but the 2018 is more appealing in my opinion.

Both of our Leafs have had their batteries replaced under warranty and it went smoothly and we haven't had any other mechanical issues to date. At the time when they were the most degraded before replacement, there was some range anxiety because they were barely able to meet our needs. The few Fast Charging Stations were constantly broken and not working which added to the scare. My lady was much less tolerant than me but some of those reasons can be obvious.

Because of these charging problems and a fight I had with my wife over them, it prompted me to meet and gather the local Nissan Dealers, ABB (equipment suppliers), and Nissan Corporate. Putting these parties together lead to brand new equipment supplied to the dealers for free after Nissan Corporate was able to broker a big discount with the Charging equipment supplier (ABB). The downside is that all of these new stations are throttled back because of less capable feeder lines but at least we have low power Quick Charging available.

We live in a metro area that makes it 4th largest in the country. It is a great expanse, more out than up. Its charging infrastructure is woefully inadequate. We obviously are also one of the many southern states with higher summer temperatures. Nissan even tested Leafs here at proving grounds in Casa Grande. IMO the testing, at great expense to both Nissan Corporation and customers, hopefully will lead to a liquid cooled TMS in the 2019 Leaf. I believe it should have happened much sooner. I want to support Nissan because I applaud them for bringing the Leaf to market and getting them into our hands when no other company would. It is in the best interest of us all to support all of the companies that are serious about bringing great BEVs to market.

Saying that though, does not mean that we don't demand the best vehicles possible as consumers. Nothing is perfect and we can all agree to disagree what meets our needs or likes. I could set here and write a book but I have too many other things to get accomplished today. So to wrap this up, in my opinion, our Tesla is better looking, with a much better battery, range, charging infractructure and is more comparable to ICE at meeting our needs as a primary car. Our Leafs have to be our secondary, but for us, usable, short range daily driver for as long as the (short lived) in comparison, battery will last. When that time comes relatively soon, we will either replace the batteries (again) or find the latest and best BEV for the money at that time.

I'm still rooting for Nissan too! Bring on the Tesla killer! Tesla, while not perfect but better, has set the current standard to beat. I'm sure many have noticed all of the companies that are saying that they are going to produce something that rivals it. I haven't heard or seen anyone saying that they are going to be a Leaf killer. That doesn't mean that I don't wish that Nissan was setting the standard but it just isn't so at this point.

Nissan can make a good and better EV. It will never be a Tesla killer im terms of technology, performance, etc. They are a slow moving conservative Japanese corporation not a nimble and aggressive Silicon Valley company. It’s just not in their culture to move this way. There is a long history there.

lpickup said:
ranss12 said:
I'll be leaving MNL after about 7 years. I'm selling my 2012 LEAF (73,400 miles) tomorrow in preparation for getting my Model 3 sometime in the next 3-5 weeks.

Gee, I hadn't really thought about that. I configured my Model 3 last weekend (so expect it to arrive late May/early June) at which time I too will be selling my LEAF (3rd one actually) and as such I probably won't have much first hand experience to share on this forum.

I suppose this one thread would be an applicable one to follow, but yeah, I have to say that the Loren & Ed stream of filtered criticism of Tesla is a bit much to take (as well as EVDRIVER's sometimes over the top responses to such--sorry EVDRIVER, but it does cut both ways--I don't have as much of a problem rebutting the sometimes ridiculous claims made by Loren & Ed (even though it seems pointless), but the rehashing old attacks dozens of times does get old). I guess I don't mind so much the fact that someone is bringing forward fair and factual criticism of the Model 3, because that is useful information, but continually seeking out only negative articles and re-posting here (yes, very rarely a positive or neutral article is posted, but usually only if there is also some negative connotation) tends to show that there is a heavy bias at work, and thus takes away credibility for any factual negatives that may otherwise be brought forward. Rather, I may too just "retire" from this board and hang out on TMC and M3OC where you get much less troll-like behavior, yet still get the positives AND negatives. Plus I don't need to hear another 50-100 times how Tesla will never sell a $35,000 car (at least we finally appear to be over the controversy of whether or not Tesla will sell ANY cars at all, considering that sales to employees weren't really sales at all).

I've had my 3 for about 3 weeks - it took 4 weeks from config to VIN, and then another week from VIN to delivery. I'm keeping my 2011 LEAF with 76K mi. since it'll still take many of the local short errands. did a san diego to SF road trip the day after delivery and was very impressed with the car. two stops for 30 min each at the superchargers and destination charger at the hotel made the trip really fun. it's great to have both a short and long distance EV!

Should be picking up my Model 3 next week and selling the Prius.

Keeping the '11 LEAF (approaching 72k miles now, 2nd battery pack) as the shorter distance car, though since the Model 3 appears to be more efficient the LEAF, there doesn't seem to be any point in picking the LEAF over the Model 3 when both vehicles are available.

Yes - there's quite a few LEAF owners moving on to to Tesla.

My only real complaint about the LEAF is that Nissan can't figure out how to make a battery last 10 years even in moderate climates. We shall see if the Model 3 has any significant shortcomings. I think the biggest issue will be that their service centers just aren't growing fast enough to handle all the vehicles on the road and if you do need parts, they are a pain to obtain and may take a while to get.

My only real complaint about the LEAF is that Nissan can't figure out how to make a battery last 10 years even in moderate climates.

They did, but after 2015 they abandoned the idea. My 4/2013 SV is going back after 5 years with all 12 bars and isn't even about to drop one. After the Wolf and Lizard packs they apparently got bored with doing it right.

LeftieBiker said:
My only real complaint about the LEAF is that Nissan can't figure out how to make a battery last 10 years even in moderate climates.

They did, but after 2015 they abandoned the idea. My 4/2013 SV is going back after 5 years with all 12 bars and isn't even about to drop one. After the Wolf and Lizard packs they apparently got bored with doing it right.

As you know, that has mostly to do with the climate that you personally live in.

Back