goldbrick
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Colorado front range

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:19 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
There's nothing grossly unfair about NAFTA, everyone compromised to get a deal.


... it was not a good deal...


Another perfect example of the old saying, 'if you're not at the table, you're on the menu'

bitmanEV
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2016
Location: Redhill, UK

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:49 am

and the Hyundai Kona Electric in this :?:
Next EV - Byton M-Byte reserved
Nissan Leaf MK1 - Japan build
Renault Zoe R240 - ditched after 8k Miles due crap quality / DS65 WBL
Toyota Rav4 (ICE) SWMBO (rock solid)
Subaru Forester - PX for EV (ODO 200.000+ Miles)
Driving BEV since Dec 2015

edatoakrun
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:33 am
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184
Location: Shasta County, North California

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 am

Detailed and quite positive review from Deutschland, with a claim of superior real-world efficiency, giving it very close to the same range as a Tesla 3 LR:

The Kona can also be electric!

The compact SUV Hyundai Kona also comes as a full electric car. A battery charge should be enough for about 470 kilometers. How To Cars has the prices and the driving report!


Hyundai electrifies its compact SUV Kona. The electric version stands out, especially with its front end clearly from the fuel-powered Kona. A grille is omitted, instead, the face of the E-Kona is completely covered.

This makes the SUV look a bit heavier, but should reduce the air resistance and thus increase the range. The front bumper gets a new shape and now carries horizontal trim struts and air ducts. On the side fall on the specially modified for the electric variant aero rims. ..

Who knows the normal Kona, will miss nothing inside the electric version. Depending on the equipment dominate in the interior of the colors black or gray. Optionally, you will be seated on ventilated leather seats, which provide a decent seating quality in the first test. Unlike usual, the operation of the single-stage transmission is: There is no switch or lever for the selection of the gear, but buttons with valued pressure point. The handbrake is also electrically activated. The driver of the electric Kona has the speed overview at his disposal via a fully digital instrument cluster. Depending on the driving mode, various information is displayed here - including the energy flow or the range. The readability is good. Optionally, there is also an eight-inch head-up display in the Hyundai, The Infotainment (with optional sound system from Krell) shows the image of the rear view camera, it can also be coupled via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the smartphone . A shelf in the center console supports inductive charging.

How To Cars has already drove the Kona Elektro in the "Test the Best" action. And he's surprised, because this is where a Model 3 killer rolls in, before the tiniest Tesla ever arrived. Even the Kona data makes listen: 204 hp, a battery capacity of 64 kilowatt hours and 482 kilometers range after WLTP cycle.

..in our test drives around Rome. On average, the Kona Electric consumed 14.5 kWh, which gives a range of about 450 kilometers. For comparison: Tesla Model 3 consumed 16.1 kWh in the test, makes 460 kilometers range...

The Kona Elektro is available in two power levels. As entry-level variant, Hyundai offers the SUV with a power of 99 kW (135 hp). The battery in this case has a capacity of 39.2 kWh, which is the Kona according to WLTP to create up to 300 kilometers. The powerful version of the electric SUV comes with 150 kW (204 hp) on the road. Here 64 kWh lead to a calculated range of 470 kilometers. 395 Nm of standstill guarantee the passage. The Kona Elektro supports fast charging via a 100 kW charging station...

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/hyundai- ... 91447.html
no condition is permanent

ElectricEddy
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm

edatoakrun wrote:Detailed and quite positive review from Deutschland, with a claim of superior real-world efficiency, giving it very close to the same range as a Tesla 3 LR:

The Kona can also be electric!

The compact SUV Hyundai Kona also comes as a full electric car. A battery charge should be enough for about 470 kilometers. How To Cars has the prices and the driving report!


Hyundai electrifies its compact SUV Kona. The electric version stands out, especially with its front end clearly from the fuel-powered Kona. A grille is omitted, instead, the face of the E-Kona is completely covered.

This makes the SUV look a bit heavier, but should reduce the air resistance and thus increase the range. The front bumper gets a new shape and now carries horizontal trim struts and air ducts. On the side fall on the specially modified for the electric variant aero rims. ..

Who knows the normal Kona, will miss nothing inside the electric version. Depending on the equipment dominate in the interior of the colors black or gray. Optionally, you will be seated on ventilated leather seats, which provide a decent seating quality in the first test. Unlike usual, the operation of the single-stage transmission is: There is no switch or lever for the selection of the gear, but buttons with valued pressure point. The handbrake is also electrically activated. The driver of the electric Kona has the speed overview at his disposal via a fully digital instrument cluster. Depending on the driving mode, various information is displayed here - including the energy flow or the range. The readability is good. Optionally, there is also an eight-inch head-up display in the Hyundai, The Infotainment (with optional sound system from Krell) shows the image of the rear view camera, it can also be coupled via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the smartphone . A shelf in the center console supports inductive charging.

How To Cars has already drove the Kona Elektro in the "Test the Best" action. And he's surprised, because this is where a Model 3 killer rolls in, before the tiniest Tesla ever arrived. Even the Kona data makes listen: 204 hp, a battery capacity of 64 kilowatt hours and 482 kilometers range after WLTP cycle.

..in our test drives around Rome. On average, the Kona Electric consumed 14.5 kWh, which gives a range of about 450 kilometers. For comparison: Tesla Model 3 consumed 16.1 kWh in the test, makes 460 kilometers range...

The Kona Elektro is available in two power levels. As entry-level variant, Hyundai offers the SUV with a power of 99 kW (135 hp). The battery in this case has a capacity of 39.2 kWh, which is the Kona according to WLTP to create up to 300 kilometers. The powerful version of the electric SUV comes with 150 kW (204 hp) on the road. Here 64 kWh lead to a calculated range of 470 kilometers. 395 Nm of standstill guarantee the passage. The Kona Elektro supports fast charging via a 100 kW charging station...

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/hyundai- ... 91447.html


The 7.2 kW on board charger is also pretty close to the M3 7.7 kW obc. Make full use of the Eaton EVSE in my home also max rated at 30A /240V.
Hopefully there is an input on the infotainment package for a third party surround camera (birds eye view) system :?:
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

garsh
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 am
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:15 am

ElectricEddy wrote:The 7.2 kW on board charger is also pretty close to the M3 7.7 kW obc.

The Mobile Connector that comes with the Model 3 is limited to 32 amps (which is where I believe your 7.7kW rating comes from). But the car's onboard charger can pull up to 48 amps using a Wall Connector (which would be 11.5 kW).

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/m3 ... amps.4869/
2012 Black SV, 7 bars, 100,000 miles

mtndrew1
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Gardena CA

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:19 am

That’s correct, my car can pull 48A @ 240V for ~11.5 kW AC charging.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range

2013 Nissan Leaf S + QC sold with warranty pack replacement

2015 Kia Soul EV+ Lease returned 10/14/17 45,000 miles w/ 13.8% degradation.

jjeff
Posts: 1700
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm

mtndrew1 wrote:That’s correct, my car can pull 48A @ 240V for ~11.5 kW AC charging.

I'd love that! even more than my cars QC which I really haven't used in my 4 years of Leaf ownership, I'd use a 48A L2 almost every day 8-)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GRA
Posts: 9215
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:15 pm

jjeff wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:That’s correct, my car can pull 48A @ 240V for ~11.5 kW AC charging.

I'd love that! even more than my cars QC which I really haven't used in my 4 years of Leaf ownership, I'd use a 48A L2 almost every day 8-)

You've got a 60A circuit?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

jjeff
Posts: 1700
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:56 pm

GRA wrote:
jjeff wrote:
mtndrew1 wrote:That’s correct, my car can pull 48A @ 240V for ~11.5 kW AC charging.

I'd love that! even more than my cars QC which I really haven't used in my 4 years of Leaf ownership, I'd use a 48A L2 almost every day 8-)

You've got a 60A circuit?

50a, I guess I wouldn't use the full 48a but a full 42a for sure 8-) Well truthfully I'd also use 48a but only for short very quick charges, less than an hour or so. The 20% derating of our circuits is only for continuous use, short-term use is OK to get near the maximum :)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

GRA
Posts: 9215
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Hyundai Kona Electric

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:28 pm

jjeff wrote:
GRA wrote:
jjeff wrote:I'd love that! even more than my cars QC which I really haven't used in my 4 years of Leaf ownership, I'd use a 48A L2 almost every day 8-)

You've got a 60A circuit?

50a, I guess I wouldn't use the full 48a but a full 42a for sure 8-) Well truthfully I'd also use 48a but only for short very quick charges, less than an hour or so. The 20% derating of our circuits is only for continuous use, short-term use is OK to get near the maximum :)

A small correction - for continuous duty a 50A circuit is limited to 40A, not 42A (50 x .8 = 40). Personally, even though continuous duty's 3+ hours, unless you've got a medical grade outlet and you know the conductor's in good shape with good connections, I wouldn't push anything over 40A for an hour, but then I generally prefer a conservative approach.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”