jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:25 am

cwerdna wrote:Ex-Tesla employees reveal the cryptic ways they learned they were getting laid off
Somewhat normal for any tech company doing layoffs. But hey, in the news because it's Tesla.

I once got laid off after working 60-70 hour weeks for over 2 years. They hired 3 people in India in exchange for my salary. (That's when I learned to be suspicious when you notice HR working long into the night)
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi
Tesla S 75D (3/17) 29K mi
Tesla X 100D (ordered, 12/18 delivery)
3 reservation canceled

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:07 pm

I went through downsizing five times in my career, three times as a survivor — no fun when your friends and colleagues get the axe — and twice as a "downsizee" — also no fun, for obvious reasons (although I decided to retire young — at age 45 — after the last one, so that turned out very well for me).

No matter what the rationale or selection process used — and sometimes it is downright irrational IME — it isn't a pleasant process for the "chosen." At least with unemployment low, finding a new job ought to be easier than it is when the economy has more slack.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

GRA

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:47 pm

With the pretty much unanimously positive reviews of the I-Pace (IEVS' review positively gushed*, much like the case with the Model S intro), it seems Tesla now has real competition for the Model S/X and higher-end Model 3s. Teslas still have a major advantage (for now) on extended road trips in the U.S. from the SC network (Europe's a different matter), but anyone who can afford a car that starts at $69.5k is unlikely to be limited to a single vehicle or option.

Also, via GCC:
Tesla Model S Catches Fire While In Motion – Not Caused By Crash
https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-catches-fire-while-in-motion-not-caused-by-crash/

While fossil-fueled car fires are so common as mostly to go unmentioned, this one _appears_ to be a pure battery fire. No doubt we'll be hearing more about the cause. This one appears to have nearly self-extinguished before the fire truck arrived, and no one was injured.

The brand-new all-electric 2019 Jaguar I-Pace is not an exceptional car. It one-ups that by being a truly extraordinary one. While it wears the Jaguar moniker, it’s fair to say that it’s representative of nearly everything an all-electric Land Rover could offer. Marrying this with the I-Pace’s sports-car-meets-SUV facade, athletic handling, exhilarating acceleration, and spacious, luxurious cabin makes for a true game-changer. Like any car, it’s not without its faults, though they’re few and far between. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Tesla workers say they pay the price for Elon Musk's big promises
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... d-promises

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Jilted employee did some damage...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/elon-mu ... otage.html

(or something else going on here)
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

GRA

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:15 pm

cwerdna wrote:Tesla workers say they pay the price for Elon Musk's big promises
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... d-promises

Having done quite a bit of manual labor in an earlier life, I know damned well that I would hate working at Tesla. The times I got injured were always when I was tired, usually after working lots of OT. No way would I want to work six 12s week after week. There are many things I disliked about being a union member (Teamsters), but I sure as hell appreciated the contract limiting mandatory overtime to 1 hour/day, along with paid vacations, holidays, sick leave, ability to refuse an unsafe job, the 8 hour day and 40 hour week, and all the other laws and regulations that the labor movement was responsible for, so that people could have actual lives outside of work.
Last edited by GRA on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:33 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Jilted employee did some damage...

To: Everybody

Subject: Some concerning news

June 17, 2018

11:57 p.m.

I was dismayed to learn this weekend about a Tesla employee who had conducted quite extensive and damaging sabotage to our operations. This included making direct code changes to the Tesla Manufacturing Operating System under false usernames and exporting large amounts of highly sensitive Tesla data to unknown third parties.

The full extent of his actions are not yet clear, but what he has admitted to so far is pretty bad. His stated motivation is that he wanted a promotion that he did not receive. In light of these actions, not promoting him was definitely the right move.

However, there may be considerably more to this situation than meets the eye, so the investigation will continue in depth this week. We need to figure out if he was acting alone or with others at Tesla and if he was working with any outside organizations.

As you know, there are a long list of organizations that want Tesla to die. These include Wall Street short-sellers, who have already lost billions of dollars and stand to lose a lot more. Then there are the oil & gas companies, the wealthiest industry in the world — they don't love the idea of Tesla advancing the progress of solar power & electric cars...

Musk must be pretty coordinated, to be able to type with one hand, while he fondles those little metal balls in the other...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZlV3oQ3pLA0
no condition is permanent

GRA

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Re the most recent battery fire mentioned upthread, and battery fires in general, via GCR:
Director's Tesla Model S catches fire in L.A.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1117266_directors-tesla-model-s-catches-fire-in-l-a

. . . In a 2016 study, Swedish researchers found that Teslas had a rate of fires of about 1 in 20,000 cars, compared with about 1 in 1,000 fires for gasoline-powered cars, though they note that this includes all types of fires in gas cars, including some that were set intentionally. . . .

Direct link to study referenced above:
ARE ELECTRIC
VEHICLES SAFER
THAN COMBUSTION
ENGINE VEHICLES?
http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1168490/FULLTEXT01.pdf

The study noted:
The number of EVs on the road is still too low to conduct reliable statistical
studies of incidents and accidents. Anyhow, the limited data on incidents up to
now, presented in this chapter, give an indication that electric vehicles might be
less prone to fire incidents than vehicles with internal combustion engines.

GRA

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Via ABG:
Tesla severance agreements may restrict whistleblowers
Language could prevent employees from speaking publicly about safety
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/18/tesla-severance-agreements-whistleblowers-worker-safety/

. . . Bloomberg reports that a proposed severance agreement required the recipient to acknowledge that he or she "had the opportunity to raise any safety concerns, safety complaints, or whistleblower activities against the company, and that if any safety concerns, safety complaints, or whistleblower activities were raised during your employment, they were addressed to your satisfaction." In addition, the agreement would bar the former employee from sharing "business-related" information, require the person to help Tesla defend itself against claims, release any of the employee's claims made against the company, and stipulates that any disputes under the agreement go to individual arbitration. . . .

A Tesla spokesman told Bloomberg the company uses the language about safety issues to ensure that issues are addressed and that employees who don't believe those words apply to their case should come forward and share their concerns. Labor experts say the language will likely discourage former workers from speaking out, or keep them from being taken seriously if they do. . . .

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:51 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Jilted employee did some damage...

And, this was after the story below:
Elon Musk sent an email to Tesla employees about another fire in its factory on Sunday
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/elon-mu ... unday.html

I received push alerts from CNBC about at least one of these stories today.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”