Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mtndrew1 said:
I just did a round trip in my Model 3 between Los Angeles and Bisbee Arizona last weekend, *in* a long weekend!

It’s so bizarre to pop out on a 1200 mile road trip in an electric car with the cruise set to 10 MPH over and the HVAC cranking away without doing a spreadsheet and some advanced mathematics and a key ring of charging station membership cards and hoping and praying that the single CHAdeMO nozzle will be functional and that the key car reader will work and...and...

The car handled all the charging calculations and navigation (two 0.6 hr stops each direction) and was typically ready to go before I was. The predictions accurately accounted for speed, temperature, and elevation changes and was within 2% of its SOC prediction each time and was within 5 mins of estimated arrival time. Truly remarkable.

The car itself is of course very efficient and powerful and autopilot did ~85% of the driving and is truly a blessing in inclement weather. It drove better than I could have through some torrential downpours. It does have more wind noise than I like over ~75 MPH but the insane stereo easily drowned it out.

My total preparation was to enter the end point destination and my total charging prep was to arrive and insert the nozzle in the car.

Game changer. It’s just a regular, wonderful sports sedan.

Nice. Plus you did that in what sounds like bad weather.

mtndrew1 said:
...The car handled all the charging calculations and navigation (two 0.6 hr stops each direction) and was typically ready to go before I was. The predictions accurately accounted for speed, temperature, and elevation changes and was within 2% of its SOC prediction each time and was within 5 mins of estimated arrival time. Truly remarkable...
Remarkable indeed! I think people have to do a road trip like that in a Tesla to really appreciate just how easy it is. It is a paradigm shift in EV utility.

dgpcolorado said:
mtndrew1 said:
...The car handled all the charging calculations and navigation (two 0.6 hr stops each direction) and was typically ready to go before I was. The predictions accurately accounted for speed, temperature, and elevation changes and was within 2% of its SOC prediction each time and was within 5 mins of estimated arrival time. Truly remarkable...
Remarkable indeed! I think people have to do a road trip like that in a Tesla to really appreciate just how easy it is. It is a paradigm shift in EV utility.
As range and charging speeds continue to increase for all BEVs, they will come closer and closer to the holy grail of being fully able (in the public's eyes), of replacing liquid-fueled ICEs. 350kW CCS (the Taycan will charge at 280kW max.), now 400kW CHAdeMO, and China is talking about 900kW GB/T. As a 50mpg HEV can 'charge' 337kWh in one minute* there's still a way to go, but then you have to correct for efficiency.

*[Retail gas pumps are limited by reg. to a max. or 10gpm, and the EPA considers 1 gallon of gas to have an energy content of 33.7 kWh]

They need to get more reliable and higher numbers before they start talking higher power. 400Kw is pointless if the network is not distributed and reliable, so far it s has been pretty poor. Also, I tried using the EV go sites and I can tel you they are full of it. They charge per min and deliver 39-45kw at best when claiming 50kw. Charge of ran hour at 40kw and you pay for 10Kwh you don't get. They also won't admit it and attempt to blame the car, etc. Very nice scam.

EVDRIVER said:
They need to get more reliable and higher numbers before they start talking higher power. 400Kw is pointless if the network is not distributed and reliable, so far it s has been pretty poor. Also, I tried using the EV go sites and I can tel you they are full of it. They charge per min and deliver 39-45kw at best when claiming 50kw. Charge of ran hour at 40kw and you pay for 10Kwh you don't get. They also won't admit it and attempt to blame the car, etc. Very nice scam.
Sure, any infrastructure has to be reliable, available where needed and affordable.

https://electrek.co/2018/06/22/tesla-model-3-update-summon-feature-cabin-overheat-protection-wifi/
Model 3 vehicles on the new software update now have access to
1) Autopilot’s Summon feature,
2) cabin overheat protection and
3) WiFi.

Model 3 vehicles still had internet access, but it was only through the LTE service that Tesla provides with all its vehicles.
Tesla wrote in the release notes:
“With this release, Model 3 now connects to available Wi-Fi networks. Tap the LTE icon at the top of the touchscreen and select the network you want to join.”
Finally, Tesla also added Cabin Overheat Protection, another feature already available in Model S and Model X, to the Model 3 with this new update. Tesla wrote in the release notes:
“When active, your vehicle prevents the interior temperature from exceeding 105F/40C for up to 12 hours after you exit your vehicle.”
The automaker released the feature especially for parents afraid to forget their kids in the car on hot summer days.

GRA said:
EVDRIVER said:
Sure, any infrastructure has to be reliable, available where needed and affordable.
Yes, as an indicator of how high a bar Tesla has set, I just drove 335 miles NorCal->SoCal in my Model 3. Cruising left lane, mostly AP, got 4.2 Mi/kWh and had my pick of where I felt like stopping for 20 minutes out of the entire 6 hr drive. Kettleman City, Buttonwillow, Bakersfield, Tejon were all I-5 options with Tesla's nav indicating how busy any particular Supercharger might be.
Only needed one stop: $8.06

Tesla seems to have opened up AWD to all first day USA reservation holders — this is new — as well as lowering prices for AWD and Performance and raising it slightly for some options. The delivery estimates have been pushed back a bit, likely to handle the expected rush of orders. Orders already placed will have the price adjusted lower before delivery.

AWD is now $4k (was $5k).
Performance/AWD is now $64k, with some of the features now included in a $5k Upgrade package (was $78k). The premium white interior is now a $1500 option for those who want it over the premium black interior (the white interior has been so popular that Tesla is having trouble getting enough from suppliers, so it is limited to just performance on the Model 3 for now). The Upgrade package includes an increase in top speed from 145 mph to 155 mph, 20 inch wheels, aluminum alloy pedals, and a carbon fiber spoiler. The base Performance comes with 18 inch aero wheels. Both versions have 3.5 second 0-60 times.

Delivery times are 2-4 months for Performance and 3-5 months for AWD and RWD. Those seem to be conservative since many dual motor cars will be delivered in the next couple of months. The base Standard Range is listed at six to nine months (about the same as before for most people).

Another black color ("Obsidian Metallic") has been added. (Why so many dull black and grey colors? I don't get it.) The price for Red Multi-Coat and White Multi-Coat has been raised to $1500; the other colors besides the base black remain at $1000: Midnight Silver Metallic (grey), Silver Metallic, Blue Metallic, Obsidian Metallic.

One curious price increase is that FSD (Full Self-Driving capability, when available) has been increased to $5k from $4k when purchased after delivery. It remains at $3k when ordered with the car. There are statements that suggest some self-driving features are going to be released soon, even though full self-driving remains a long way away for now.

Currently available to order now:

RWD + LR + PUP (Premium Upgrade Package) $49k

AWD + LR + PUP $53k

Performance + LR + PUP $64k

Performance + LR + PUP + white interior $65.5k

Performance + LR + PUP + Performance Upgrade $69k

Performance + LR + PUP + Performance Upgrade + white interior $70.5k

EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) remains a $5k option and FSD (Full Self-Driving capability) remains a $3k option for all models.

Not yet available to order:

SR (Standard Range), SR + PUP, LR without PUP, AWD without PUP.

[Edited to correct "Premium Upgrade" to "Performance Upgrade"]

dgpcolorado said:
Performance + LR + PUP + Premium Upgrade $69k
That’s a bit confusing to me: paying for a “Premium Upgrade Package (PUP)” and then paying for a “Premium Upgrade” separately. Can someone please explain the two types of “premium” Tesla is selling?

Speaking of “premium” things on Teslas, what is the monthly fee for premium internet access for those who purchase beginning July 1?

SageBrush said:
RegGuheert said:
Speaking of “premium” things on Teslas, what is the monthly fee for premium internet access for those who purchase beginning July 1?
IIRC $8

Since this is no longer going to be included it would be great if you could opt to use different streaming services of your choice.

EVDRIVER said:
SageBrush said:
RegGuheert said:
IIRC $8
Since this is no longer going to be included it would be great if you could opt to use different streaming services of your choice.
Do/Will Teslas come with the option to dock your cell phone and just get the data from the phone’s hotspot? (Although I admit that $8 seems extremely reasonable for this service. Of course, if there is no alternative, that number could change to anything in the future.)

dgpcolorado said:
Tesla seems to have opened up AWD to all first day USA reservation holders — this is new
Yes, I found this morning that I had the ability to order AWD at last.

So now comes the decision I've been putting off: to get the AWD 3 for $53k, or not.

I was hoping they'd have added a heated steering wheel by now, but no luck there. The AWD is needed for getting up my driveway in the winter.

Once crazy thing, With your total $3500 deposit if you cancel you loose it all, I have to say that is excessive since they can slot that immediately to anyone easily but they justify the cost in logistics which is insane. I could see $500 but $3500! Wow that's insane at many levels.

RegGuheert said:
dgpcolorado said:
Performance + LR + PUP + Premium Upgrade $69k
That’s a bit confusing to me: paying for a “Premium Upgrade Package (PUP)” and then paying for a “Premium Upgrade” separately. Can someone please explain the two types of “premium” Tesla is selling?

I should have written "Performance Upgrade" package for the extra performance stuff. The order site does list "Premium black interior" but I presume that is just to say that PUP is included in the $64k Performance price, as opposed to it being anything different.

The premium internet access via the car's cell connection (AT&T) is $100/year for orders placed July 1 and later. Previous owners are grandfathered for free access. It doesn't include much since most of nav functions will remain unchanged and OTA updates via WiFi will continue, as usual (so far as we can tell). Mostly affects streaming music. The language on the website:
All orders placed before July 1 will receive Premium Connectivity with satellite maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming media and over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular.
The history of this was that it was supposed to be free for the first four years and Tesla extended it to include all cars in 2014, even those older. Now, in 2018, the charge for the cell connection is finally being implemented for cars ordered beginning July 1. $100 a year seems to be a modest charge.

dgpcolorado said:
The premium internet access via the car's cell connection (AT&T) is $100/year for orders placed July 1 and later. Previous owners are grandfathered for free access. It doesn't include much since most of nav functions will remain unchanged and OTA updates via WiFi will continue, as usual (so far as we can tell). Mostly affects streaming music. The language on the website:
All orders placed before July 1 will receive Premium Connectivity with satellite maps with live traffic visualization, in-car streaming media and over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular.

Let me ask you this (not that it really matters to me since my order was placed prior to July 1, but I am curious):

Does the car provide a WiFi hotspot?

The reason I ask is that we travel way up north each year past the area where there is T-mobile coverage. AT&T has great coverage there, but you only get 200MB before they cut you off (sometimes we can hit a tower in Canada which is great because we get unlimited international data!) Anyway, we typically get an OnStar data plan in our Volt (which we currently use, but will use the Model 3 from now on) so we can get coverage. Our choices are either $10/month for 1GB of data (which we could probably fit into) or $20/month for unlimited. But the whole point is that the car provides a hotspot that we can use for data. Can you do the same on the Model 3? And is the $8/month (even if it is just for streaming) unlimited data?

lpickup said:
dgpcolorado said:

Let me ask you this (not that it really matters to me since my order was placed prior to July 1, but I am curious):

The reason I ask is that we travel way up north each year past the area where there is T-mobile coverage. AT&T has great coverage there, but you only get 200MB before they cut you off (sometimes we can hit a tower in Canada which is great because we get unlimited international data!) Anyway, we typically get an OnStar data plan in our Volt (which we currently use, but will use the Model 3 from now on) so we can get coverage. Our choices are either $10/month for 1GB of data (which we could probably fit into) or $20/month for unlimited. But the whole point is that the car provides a hotspot that we can use for data. Can you do the same on the Model 3? And is the $8/month (even if it is just for streaming) unlimited data?

It does not.

lpickup said:
Not presently, but I'll be surprised if the subscription service does not give general web connectivity. It is anyone's guess though whether the carrier for the car has a better connection than a phone. It seems simpler and more flexible to just pick up a SIM and a PAYGO plan for whatever carrier works in your problem area. My daughter is on our Cricket (quasi ATT) family plan for the US and will be buying Project Fi for a month while she is in Montreal to avoid roaming charges.

By the way, the Model 3 will continue to have free LTE for navigation for orders after July 1. Streaming services like music will be a subscription. Left unsaid so far as I know is the fate of traffic data.

Great summary of recent changes: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/awd-open-for-existing-invitees.119807/page-3#post-2832958

3V0HQxe.jpg

Back