Hyundai Kona Electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detailed and quite positive review from Deutschland, with a claim of superior real-world efficiency, giving it very close to the same range as a Tesla 3 LR:

The Kona can also be electric!

The compact SUV Hyundai Kona also comes as a full electric car. A battery charge should be enough for about 470 kilometers. How To Cars has the prices and the driving report!

Hyundai electrifies its compact SUV Kona. The electric version stands out, especially with its front end clearly from the fuel-powered Kona. A grille is omitted, instead, the face of the E-Kona is completely covered.

This makes the SUV look a bit heavier, but should reduce the air resistance and thus increase the range. The front bumper gets a new shape and now carries horizontal trim struts and air ducts. On the side fall on the specially modified for the electric variant aero rims. ..

Who knows the normal Kona, will miss nothing inside the electric version. Depending on the equipment dominate in the interior of the colors black or gray. Optionally, you will be seated on ventilated leather seats, which provide a decent seating quality in the first test. Unlike usual, the operation of the single-stage transmission is: There is no switch or lever for the selection of the gear, but buttons with valued pressure point. The handbrake is also electrically activated. The driver of the electric Kona has the speed overview at his disposal via a fully digital instrument cluster. Depending on the driving mode, various information is displayed here - including the energy flow or the range. The readability is good. Optionally, there is also an eight-inch head-up display in the Hyundai, The Infotainment (with optional sound system from Krell) shows the image of the rear view camera, it can also be coupled via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the smartphone . A shelf in the center console supports inductive charging.

How To Cars has already drove the Kona Elektro in the "Test the Best" action. And he's surprised, because this is where a Model 3 killer rolls in, before the tiniest Tesla ever arrived. Even the Kona data makes listen: 204 hp, a battery capacity of 64 kilowatt hours and 482 kilometers range after WLTP cycle.

..in our test drives around Rome. On average, the Kona Electric consumed 14.5 kWh, which gives a range of about 450 kilometers. For comparison: Tesla Model 3 consumed 16.1 kWh in the test, makes 460 kilometers range...

The Kona Elektro is available in two power levels. As entry-level variant, Hyundai offers the SUV with a power of 99 kW (135 hp). The battery in this case has a capacity of 39.2 kWh, which is the Kona according to WLTP to create up to 300 kilometers. The powerful version of the electric SUV comes with 150 kW (204 hp) on the road. Here 64 kWh lead to a calculated range of 470 kilometers. 395 Nm of standstill guarantee the passage. The Kona Elektro supports fast charging via a 100 kW charging station...
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/hyundai-kona-elektro-2018-12491447.html

edatoakrun said:
Detailed and quite positive review from Deutschland, with a claim of superior real-world efficiency, giving it very close to the same range as a Tesla 3 LR:

The Kona can also be electric!

The compact SUV Hyundai Kona also comes as a full electric car. A battery charge should be enough for about 470 kilometers. How To Cars has the prices and the driving report!

Hyundai electrifies its compact SUV Kona. The electric version stands out, especially with its front end clearly from the fuel-powered Kona. A grille is omitted, instead, the face of the E-Kona is completely covered.

This makes the SUV look a bit heavier, but should reduce the air resistance and thus increase the range. The front bumper gets a new shape and now carries horizontal trim struts and air ducts. On the side fall on the specially modified for the electric variant aero rims. ..

Who knows the normal Kona, will miss nothing inside the electric version. Depending on the equipment dominate in the interior of the colors black or gray. Optionally, you will be seated on ventilated leather seats, which provide a decent seating quality in the first test. Unlike usual, the operation of the single-stage transmission is: There is no switch or lever for the selection of the gear, but buttons with valued pressure point. The handbrake is also electrically activated. The driver of the electric Kona has the speed overview at his disposal via a fully digital instrument cluster. Depending on the driving mode, various information is displayed here - including the energy flow or the range. The readability is good. Optionally, there is also an eight-inch head-up display in the Hyundai, The Infotainment (with optional sound system from Krell) shows the image of the rear view camera, it can also be coupled via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the smartphone . A shelf in the center console supports inductive charging.

How To Cars has already drove the Kona Elektro in the "Test the Best" action. And he's surprised, because this is where a Model 3 killer rolls in, before the tiniest Tesla ever arrived. Even the Kona data makes listen: 204 hp, a battery capacity of 64 kilowatt hours and 482 kilometers range after WLTP cycle.

..in our test drives around Rome. On average, the Kona Electric consumed 14.5 kWh, which gives a range of about 450 kilometers. For comparison: Tesla Model 3 consumed 16.1 kWh in the test, makes 460 kilometers range...

The Kona Elektro is available in two power levels. As entry-level variant, Hyundai offers the SUV with a power of 99 kW (135 hp). The battery in this case has a capacity of 39.2 kWh, which is the Kona according to WLTP to create up to 300 kilometers. The powerful version of the electric SUV comes with 150 kW (204 hp) on the road. Here 64 kWh lead to a calculated range of 470 kilometers. 395 Nm of standstill guarantee the passage. The Kona Elektro supports fast charging via a 100 kW charging station...
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/hyundai-kona-elektro-2018-12491447.html

The 7.2 kW on board charger is also pretty close to the M3 7.7 kW obc. Make full use of the Eaton EVSE in my home also max rated at 30A /240V.
Hopefully there is an input on the infotainment package for a third party surround camera (birds eye view) system :?:

ElectricEddy said:
The 7.2 kW on board charger is also pretty close to the M3 7.7 kW obc.
The Mobile Connector that comes with the Model 3 is limited to 32 amps (which is where I believe your 7.7kW rating comes from). But the car's onboard charger can pull up to 48 amps using a Wall Connector (which would be 11.5 kW).

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/m3-onboard-charger-48-amps.4869/

mtndrew1 said:
That’s correct, my car can pull 48A @ 240V for ~11.5 kW AC charging.
I'd love that! even more than my cars QC which I really haven't used in my 4 years of Leaf ownership, I'd use a 48A L2 almost every day :cool:

GRA said:
jjeff said:
mtndrew1 said:
That’s correct, my car can pull 48A @ 240V for ~11.5 kW AC charging.
I'd love that! even more than my cars QC which I really haven't used in my 4 years of Leaf ownership, I'd use a 48A L2 almost every day :cool:
You've got a 60A circuit?
50a, I guess I wouldn't use the full 48a but a full 42a for sure :cool: Well truthfully I'd also use 48a but only for short very quick charges, less than an hour or so. The 20% derating of our circuits is only for continuous use, short-term use is OK to get near the maximum :)

jjeff said:
GRA said:
jjeff said:
50a, I guess I wouldn't use the full 48a but a full 42a for sure :cool: Well truthfully I'd also use 48a but only for short very quick charges, less than an hour or so. The 20% derating of our circuits is only for continuous use, short-term use is OK to get near the maximum :)
A small correction - for continuous duty a 50A circuit is limited to 40A, not 42A (50 x .8 = 40). Personally, even though continuous duty's 3+ hours, unless you've got a medical grade outlet and you know the conductor's in good shape with good connections, I wouldn't push anything over 40A for an hour, but then I generally prefer a conservative approach.

Via IEVS:
Hyundai Reports Nearly 7,000 Kona Electric Orders In Norway
https://insideevs.com/hyundai-reports-nearly-7000-kona-electric-orders-in-norway/

Over 13,000 reservation makers left pining
The Hyundai Kona Electric is an unqualified success in Norway. Sure, there have yet to be deliveries of the battery-powered crossover to the EV-thirsty nation — they should start July 1 — but reservations have been made: 20,000 of them before the list was closed. Now, we learn that 6,969 of these have been moved to firm orders and onto the configuration stage. . . .

If you weren’t among the original 20,000, your opportunity to get in line starts July 2, though Hyundai hints that your car may not be available until sometime in mid-2020. This reveals a potential flaw in the Korean carmaker’s plan for electric vehicle domination. By not being able to scale supply quickly enough to fill demand, they are leaving the door open to companies with product in a similar price range — in Norway, the Kona Electric starts at 325,900 NOK ($39,813) for the large 64 kWh battery option, the only pack available in the Kingdom. . . .

GRA said:
jjeff said:
GRA said:
A small correction - for continuous duty a 50A circuit is limited to 40A, not 42A (50 x .8 = 40). Personally, even though continuous duty's 3+ hours, unless you've got a medical grade outlet and you know the conductor's in good shape with good connections, I wouldn't push anything over 40A for an hour, but then I generally prefer a conservative approach.
Section 8, rule 8-104, sub-rule (3) CEC 23 edition:
"The calculated load in a consumer's service,feeder, or branch circuit shall be considered a continuous load unless it can be shown that in normal operation it will not persist for
(a) a total of more than 1h in any two-hour period if the load does not exceed 225A ;or
(b) a total of more than 3h in any six-hour period if the load exceeds 225A

I would think that American code is very similar in wording seeing as the breakers are manufactured in the States
So unless we start charging at 226A and every 3 hours I would consider continuous ;)

ElectricEddy said:
GRA said:
jjeff said:
"The calculated load in a consumer's service,feeder, or branch circuit shall be considered a continuous load unless it can be shown that in normal operation it will not persist for
(a) a total of more than 1h in any two-hour period if the load does not exceed 225A ;or

I would think that American code is very similar in wording seeing as the breakers are manufactured in the States
So unless we start charging at 226A and every 3 hours I would consider continuous ;)
It's entirely possible that my knowledge of the NEC is out of date, but when I checked a few online sources before writing my previous post, they all said it was still 3 hours for continuous duty, with no shorter period specified.

GRA said:
ElectricEddy said:
GRA said:

It's entirely possible that my knowledge of the NEC is out of date, but when I checked a few online sources before writing my previous post, they all said it was still 3 hours for continuous duty, with no shorter period specified.
Perhaps an American electrician can tune in and quote the rule as per NEC

ElectricEddy said:
GRA said:
Perhaps an American electrician can tune in and quote the rule as per NEC
Here's one such cite, on flash cards per the 2014 NEC:
A load where the maximum current is expected to continue for 3 hours or more.
https://www.flashcardmachine.com/2014-necdefinitions.html

See 'Continuous load'. The current edition of the NEC is 2017, so maybe it's changed. All the online sources I found referred to the 2014 or earlier editions.

Good to see that Hyundai is pricing both pack sizes reasonably in Europe, unlike TSLA's $9k charge for the larger pack on the model 3.

But even assuming the price surcharge on the larger pack is only $5k to $6k for the Kona (or Niro) in the USA, I'd probably want the smaller pack (if offered) based on what I'd be an expected increased TCO of ~$100 a month, in return for the minimal benefits of the longer-range pack, which I'd expect would reduce my total travel time by only a few hours per year.

Hyundai Kona Electric - Prices start at 34.600 euros

The Hyundai Kona Electric will be available in two battery (and power options) and three trim levels. The first is the 39.2 kilowatt-hours battery together with the 100 kW drive, which accelerates the small SUV to 100 km / h in 9.7 seconds. The range of the smaller of the two battery options is 312 km in the WLTP cycle.

With the equipment Trend Kona costs 34,600 euros. This can still be deducted from the environmental bonus, which reduces the purchase price by 4,300 euros. In the middle Style line the price is 38.100 Euro, the premium equipment is not available with the smaller battery.

If you want to order the 64 kWh battery, which is combined with a 150 kW drive, you pay at least 39,000 euros. This offers a range of 482 km to WLTP and the sprint to 100 shortens to 7.6 seconds. In the higher equipment costs the Kona electric with the big battery 42.500 Euro (Style) or 45.600 Euro (Premium)...
https://www.goingelectric.de/2018/06/19/news/hyundai-kona-elektro-preise-34-600-euro/

39k Euros equals $45,632.34 for the big battery. Hopefully that includes a lot of local taxes that we won't see here, and they can keep base MSRP well under $40k. I'd think they have to in any case to compete with the Bolt, especially as GM will have to lower the Bolt's MSRP once the credit expires. The Niro can be priced a bit more owing to its larger size.

Great comp chart at the link:

https://pushevs.com/2018/06/27/chevrolet-bolt-ev-vs-hyundai-kona-electric/

I hope at least one of the Niro/Kona twins will make it to the USA in the lite trim.

Chevrolet Bolt EV vs. Hyundai KONA Electric

With very similar prices, dimensions, features, range and sizes, it’s hard not to compare the Chevrolet Bolt EV with the Hyundai KONA Electric.

Moreover, both electric cars have plenty of internal components made by LG Chem.

Let’s see some differences between them.

Car

Chevrolet Bolt EV – Opel Ampera-e

Hyundai KONA Electric (Premium)

Hyundai KONA Electric (Lite)

...Curb weight (kg)

...Combined range

383 km (238 miles)

406 km (252 miles)

254 km (158 miles)

More info:

https://www.hyundai.com/kr/ko/vehicles/kona-electric/specifications

http://www.chevrolet.co.kr/ev/boltev-specification.gm

Aggressive UK price for the Lite (the base ~39 kWh pack) model, with more range and ~10% lower price than the base LEAF:

Hyundai Kona Electric gets sub-£25,000 price

Hyundai’s second EV is a Nissan Juke rival, with only 8lb ft less torque than the 997 Porsche 911 GT3 and up to 292 miles of range from a single charge

Hyundai’s second EV, the Kona Electric, gets a 292-mile WLTP range from a single charge in its highest, 64kWh specification. Prices start at £24,995 for the lesser 39kWh version, including the Government's £4500 plug-in car grant.

The small SUV, the first EV in the segment, has two battery options, with the lesser option providing 186 miles of range from a 39.2kWh battery pack. Both variants have 104mph top speeds and 291 lb ft of torque – the same as the Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce. It'll be revealed in the metal at this year's Geneva motor show.

The 64kWh car costs £29,495 - a £4500 premium over the 39kWh car, and £2205 more than the entry-level Nissan Leaf - its closest rival. Orders open in August, with first deliveries likely commencing a few weeks after this...
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/hyundai-kona-electric-gets-sub-%C2%A325000-price

Back