Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We wanted/needed more range and got impatient waiting for the Niro EV or 60kW Leaf. Niro looks to be small batches only for the foreseeable future, and were bummed about the staid (and dark) interior of the new Leaf -- it lost all its charm!

So we sold our much-loved 2013 SV on Craigslist and bought a leftover 2017 Bolt Premier deeply discounted.

The range is a revelation. The regen is awesome! The higher-grade infotainment/driver interfaces are a nice perk too. In retrospect, the Leaf interface was like my digital Timex watch.

My name is, now, a non-sequiter. Or, a reminder of really memorable days when we first started driving electric. Thank you Leaf and Leaf forum! I've really enjoyed sharing this part of a hopefully-more-sustainable automotive transition with you, and have learned a TON from all of your contributions!

Via IEVS:
2019 Chevy Bolt May Have Better Seats, Improved Suspension
https://insideevs.com/2019-chevy-bolt-better-seats-suspension/

There is an upside to spending well over two hours “fast-charging” your Chevy Bolt in public, apparently: you may find yourself with lots of time for a chat with Mike Lelli, the chief engineer of that all-electric Chevrolet. At least, that was the case for one lucky owner. As a result, we believe we’ve learned about some minor, but much-needed improvements to the hatchback for 2019, including better seats.

If you’ve ever sat down in the Bolt, you may have regretted it. Not because of any fundamental problem with the vehicle. Indeed, it garnered Car-Of-The-Year accolades from Motortrend, the Detroit Free Press, and Popular Mechanics. . . .

The thing is, for some at least, the front chairs (pictured above) are somewhat underwhelming: too small and not enough padding are two of the more common complaints. To underline the level of dissatisfaction, shortly after the InsideEVs Forum launched, we were blessed with the creation of a thread titled “A new EV forum = The inevitable Bolt EV seat complaint thread!.” This is not to say that everyone has this same opinion. There are plenty of folks who have no problem whatsoever with either the size or the bolstering (or lack thereof) of the individual benches.

Now, though, it seems they’ve been improved. At least, that’s the tune Chevy Bolt EV Forum user “Fivedoor” is singing after spending about two hours chatting with the aforementioned head engineer during a chance encounter at a charging station. He recounts a pretty interesting encounter that you can read about here. . . .
I'm one of the people who had no problem with the seats in the LT I drove, but many obviously do, so this is welcome news. Her'es some quotes from Fivedoor's original post on the ChevyBolt.org forum:
Main differences in the 2019 are revised front seats, improved suspension (different springs and shocks) in the front to reduce thump and jounce when going over road imperfections, and having several choices of what % to charge the battery to rather than just having 88% hilltop reserve and 100%

I asked about upcoming improvements and he couldn't really talk about the future other than that GM is committed to an EV future. He did ask me what I thought needed improvement.

He said he knows that battery size and charging speed are the top two things, but what else?

I said that improvements to the infotainment system like displaying charging amps, voltage, and KW when fast charging instead of just time to 80% would be great, and having either wireless android auto or a native app based infotainment system with something like Google Maps or Ways rather than having to use a USB cable would be a big improvement. I also said that some form of spare tire at least as an option would be a hit, Millennials may think that a cell phone and AAA will get them out of any jam, but a side wall failure when you are in the middle of no-where without cell phone coverage would benefit from a compact spare. I pointed out how Mazda used to have a deflated (and thus even more compact) spare as standard equipment on the 1st gen Miata. I also said that AWD would be great at least as an option, for utility in a "crossover" as well as improved acceleration for performance enthusiasts.

He asked about adaptive cruise control and I said it would be great for long trips, and for people that commute in heavy traffic, but that super-cruise with lane centering rather than ping-pong back and forth lane keep assist would be even better.

When he asked if a larger battery or faster charging was more important I told him that my opinion had changed in the last 6 months due to the Electrify America build out and the plans for several coast to coast travel corridors. I now would prefer faster charging, over a larger battery, and that of course both would be welcome. . . .
I'm totally onboard with the need for a spare (and jack/lugwrench), and also would want most of the rest of the improvements he suggests, but the Bolt is about 10"-12" too short for me (want to be able to lie down stretched out in the back) plus no AWD, so that rules it out for me. Maybe some/all of this will show up on the Buick BECUV that's supposedly arriving soon.

Via IEVS:
A Little Secret GM Isn’t Telling Us About Improving The Bolt EV Battery
https://insideevs.com/secret-improvement-bolt-ev-battery/

What’s one of the biggest complaints about the Chevrolet Bolt EV (besides the seats)? Slow Charging. . . .

Why won’t GM make the Bolt EV charge faster?

Our resident heat transfer expert Keith Ritter made a very interesting discovery when analyzing the Bolt EV battery pack. It was part of a detailed heat transfer investigation of both the Tesla and the Chevrolet Bolt EV batteries.

Keith modeled the heat transfer aspects of the Bolt EV and we discovered that the pinch point for heat transfer out of the cells is the metal “fins” that go between the cell pouches and transfer heat down to the bottom plate. Those metal fins essentially limit the pack charging rate to what it is now.

Here’s another interesting discovery we’ve uncovered in the analysis: If you add another cooling plate ON TOP of the cells you get a factor of 3.5 heat transfer improvement. A factor of 3.5 I asked? It’s got to be a factor of 2. Two plates=twice the heat transfer. Right?

Wrong. There’s a compounding effect. Not only have you added another plate you have cut the effective length of the fin in half, thus the compounding effect.

Now get this. The top of the cells is nice and smooth exactly like the bottom of the cells. . . .

So the top of the cells are just ready to slap on another plate and we now have enough heat transfer to up the charging rate to 100+kw! . . .

I'm not sure if others have reported on this, but I finally got to observe the Bolt EV charging on a newly installed 50 KW CCS. It took 90 min to reach 80% charge from 4%! So much for "Quick".

Reddy said:
I'm not sure if others have reported on this, but I finally got to observe the Bolt EV charging on a newly installed 50 KW CCS. It took 90 min to reach 80% charge from 4%! So much for "Quick".

Yep. Despite the TMS, the knee is rather extreme. I saw a Bolt drop from 128 amps to 65 amps when it hit around 55%. I hoped that was an anomaly but apparently, it is not.

DaveinOlyWA said:
...I saw a Bolt drop from 128 amps to 65 amps when it hit around 55%. I hoped that was an anomaly but apparently, it is not.
Probably due to cold temps. Thermal management seems to deal with high temps fairly well.

Not my graphs, but my experience;
Ze9y0RU.png

MoSHx54.png

IEVS posted an update to their earlier article about new seats and suspension for the 2019 Bolt:
***UPDATE: General Motors has contacted us regarding these possible changes to the 2019 Bolt. As it turns out, some information from Mike Lelli was likely misinterpreted. For the official record, front seat improvements were made for the Model Year 2018 Bolt and carry over for the 2019 Model Year. As for the suspension, the Bolt does not have a new setup for 2019, though GM says it’s always fine-tuning its products.

P.S. for those who can't get enough of cat videos, enjoy:
Litter Of Kittens Found Hitching A Ride In Chevy Bolt EV
https://insideevs.com/kittens-rescued-from-chevy-bolt-ev-rideshare/

No word on where the mom is, or what's being done with the kittens.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Reddy said:

Yep. Despite the TMS, the knee is rather extreme. I saw a Bolt drop from 128 amps to 65 amps when it hit around 55%. I hoped that was an anomaly but apparently, it is not.

Definitely not an anomaly. KeiJidosha's graphs are correct. You ideally don't want to quick-charge a Bolt above 55% unless you really need it. Unfortunately, with today's QC spacing, you often really need it.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Reddy said:

Definitely not an anomaly. KeiJidosha's graphs are correct. You ideally don't want to quick-charge a Bolt above 55% unless you really need it. Unfortunately, with today's QC spacing, you often really need it.

Well that is becoming less and less true. CCS was late out of the gate but they are coming on pretty fast now. EA's 4-1 or more ratio will see to that. Right now, there is a some incompatibilities that needs to be addressed but charging just to 55% should be more than enough to station hop very soon if not now.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Well that is becoming less and less true. CCS was late out of the gate but they are coming on pretty fast now. EA's 4-1 or more ratio will see to that. Right now, there is a some incompatibilities that needs to be addressed but charging just to 55% should be more than enough to station hop very soon if not now.

Assuming you let the battery run down to a reserve of 15%, that's only 40% to play with. 40% of 60kWh is 24kWh, which will safely get you about 70-90 miles on the highway, depending on weather conditions. That's certainly doable today on major corridors, like I-95 from DC to Boston. But on the lesser traveled routes (but still important), it's not enough until EA finishes their first round at least.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Assuming you let the battery run down to a reserve of 15%, that's only 40% to play with. 40% of 60kWh is 24kWh, which will safely get you about 70-90 miles on the highway, depending on weather conditions. That's certainly doable today on major corridors, like I-95 from DC to Boston. But on the lesser traveled routes (but still important), it's not enough until EA finishes their first round at least.
Then there's the soon-to-arrive competition, with both the Kona and Niro supporting 100kW max. charging on a slightly bigger battery than the Bolt, with a much later taper. Chevy will need to up their game to compete, especially as the Koreans will likely have the same or lower MSRP and won't be losing the fed. credit anytime soon.

Via IEVS:
Video Overview: 2019 Chevy Bolt Gives Drivers More Control
https://insideevs.com/2019-chevy-bolt-gets-welcome-software-updates/

More options for max. SoC:
. . . Previously, the Chevy Bolt provided an option for Hilltop Reserve. This setting would charge the vehicle to just under 90%. Officially this was intended to be used to gain energy while descending from a home or charging location from a high elevation.

Of course, for everyone else, there were still benefits. A 100% charge initially limits regenerative braking. Hilltop Reserve provides access to 1 pedal driving at the start of each day. It is also generally considered a good practice to keep a lithium-ion battery charged between 20% and 80%.

Now the Bolt EV will let you choose your own maximum target charge. When demonstrated in the video, the user can choose anywhere between a 40% and 100% state of charge.

The other user convenience feature is separating the heat and A/C controls. Previously, the climate would automatically switch between heat and A/C depending on the exterior and interior temperatures. This generally works well, although it can sometimes be troublesome. If the temperature drastically changes during the day, the heater could come on unintentionally for instance. . . .

^^^
Thanks for that! You beat me to the punch.

I wonder if anyone at Nissan is taking notice. At the Phoenix town hall in Jan 2013 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=11057) which I watched the entire video of, someone stood up and asked Nissan to provide choices like that so that hot climate Leaf drivers could help Nissan.

Instead, Nissan went backwards and took away the charge to 80% choice starting w/US model year 2014 and has provided no choices since then. :(

cwerdna said:
^^^
Thanks for that! You beat me to the punch.

I wonder if anyone at Nissan is taking notice. At the Phoenix town hall in Jan 2013 (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=11057) which I watched the entire video of, someone stood up and asked Nissan to provide choices like that so that hot climate Leaf drivers could help Nissan.

Instead, Nissan went backwards and took away the charge to 80% choice starting w/US model year 2014 and has provided no choices since then. :(

+1. I also feel that 90% is not a good option in more extreme climates especially when many Bolters are only charging a few times a week.

Should charge every day and the ability to set the SOC limit to a level that allows that for shorter commuting needs is something all EVs should have.

DaveinOlyWA said:
+1. I also feel that 90% is not a good option in more extreme climates especially when many Bolters are only charging a few times a week.

Should charge every day and the ability to set the SOC limit to a level that allows that for shorter commuting needs is something all EVs should have.
Until such time as battery tech has eliminated this issue.

GRA said:
Until such time as battery tech has eliminated this issue.
Agreed. Unfortunately batteries are rarely, if ever, tested for calendar life characteristics by the manufacturers. Instead, cycle life gets tested, which inherently limits the percent of time at a high SOC to a somewhat small fraction.

Plus, as battery life improves, testing calendar life gets even more difficult. (Dr. Jeff Dahn seems to have a good solution for testing cycle life very quickly.)

GRA said:
Then there's the soon-to-arrive competition, with both the Kona and Niro supporting 100kW max. charging on a slightly bigger battery than the Bolt, with a much later taper.
Not even close to being correct. Watch the Bjorn Nyland video
I don't understand why, but CCS requires liquid cooled cables for > 200 Amps. 100 kW is ~ 275 Amps

https://youtu.be/pRGgOdjXWOY

Wow, that taper looks very familiar. Yes, they are higher charge rates, but similar taper points, with sudden aggressive cuts to the power. I wonder why they are doing that rather than a smoother taper like Tesla does.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
Then there's the soon-to-arrive competition, with both the Kona and Niro supporting 100kW max. charging on a slightly bigger battery than the Bolt, with a much later taper.
Not even close to being correct. Watch the Bjorn Nyland video
I don't understand why, but CCS requires liquid cooled cables for > 200 Amps. 100 kW is ~ 275 Amps

https://youtu.be/pRGgOdjXWOY
Thanks for that. I stand corrected. It will be interesting to see if the taper points change when charged by a QC that can provide 100kW.

Jalopnik review:
The 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV Makes the Electric Car Feel Normal, and That’s the Point
https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-chevrolet-bolt-makes-the-electric-car-feel-nor-1828783814

The very first thing I noticed when I stepped into the 2018 Chevrolet Bolt was the gear selector. Upright, situated between the two front seats, familiar P-R-N-D-L markings. That gear selector speaks volumes about what this electric car is trying to be.

No buttons, no stalk off to the side like a Tesla or even a Toyota Prius, no rotary knob. The Bolt’s gear selector looks like something you’d find on any modern car, because that’s what everybody knows and understands, even though this single-speed electric car hardly needs it.

It’s one of many examples of how this car wants to help usher in the electric car revolution by being, well... normal. . . .

What’s Great

The Bolt’s awesome at just being a car. It was interesting to drive this nearly back-to-back with the Tesla Model 3 Performance, a car I really enjoyed spending time with. The difference in philosophy couldn’t be more stark.

The Tesla, perhaps to a fault at times, tries to reinvent the wheel even when it doesn’t need to, with its phone-app door unlocking, buttons to unlock doors, ultra-minimalist interior and many key functions relegated to a touch screen.

The Bolt takes the opposite approach. Anyone could get into this EV and figure it out. In fact, if you put a totally car agnostic person into it, they may not even realize it’s electric. Not at first, anyway. . . .

What’s Weak

The Bolt’s definitely not much to look at from the outside. I mean, it’s fine. It’s not ugly, but it’s not distinctive or visually striking in really any way. It could easily be mistaken for any other hatchback or small crossover. This tracks with the normalcy GM was going for, but I think a bit more visual flair wouldn’t have hurt . . .

The biggest letdown is the interior, which while roomy, is extremely blah. The Model 3 may be ultra bare-bones, but at least it’s a premium-feeling place to spend time. The Bolt’s economy car roots really come through on the inside. The dash is made of this hard, plasticky white textured material that looks more like styrofoam than anything else. All of it feels like a cut-rate knockoff of the BMW i3, without any of the coolness.

The seats were similarly disappointing. They’re flat in the back and bottom and feel especially thin-padded, so I never really got comfortable in them. I feel like extreme-distance road-tripping would be quite a punishment for your back. . . .

Casual Driving

Seat gripes aside, the Bolt’s a pleasant and even rewarding car to drive daily. It’s best when you think of it as a city car plus: definitely meant to be an electric commuter, but with far less anxiety about your range than the 80-mile EVs that seem to only exist to satisfy California regulations.

I drove the Bolt from my neighborhood in Brooklyn to Gizmodo Media’s offices near Union Square Park every day I had it, a commute that’s only about six miles one way. (And it usually takes 40 minutes to an hour, because New York.) I never once got concerned about range during those drives; indeed, I had to make a special trip out of the city to really use up some of that 238-mile full charge I was given.

Even in the city, it’s pretty fun to drive. It has enough juice that you can pass and dart between other cars when you need to with ease, and it’s small enough that it’s remarkably easy to park. The ride quality’s great, and it’s so quiet inside that it’s actually quite calming to operate. A great insulator from the chaos and noise of the city for sure.

I enjoy engine sounds as much as the next speed freak, but the Bolt’s the easiest car to have a room-volume conversation in I’ve experienced to date. . . .

Value

The Bolt starts at $36,620. Our tester was a Bolt Premier, the better of the two trims available, which starts at $41,780. The Premier includes leather seats and a variety of lane change and parking aids.

With options like that sweet roof rack, our car came to $43,905. All of that is before the $7,500 EV tax credit, which would bring its “true” price to $36,405.

Here’s the thing: At that price, about the average new car transaction price these days, the Bolt’s a solid deal. But with the bland seats, the econo-hatch looks and the decidedly not premium interior, the Bolt is not a mid-$40,000 car. It just isn’t. If you want one of these, do yourself a favor and get it before the credit expires.

When it does, Chevrolet is going to have to drop the price, make it more premium somehow or shift over to some electric crossover SUV thing that’s similar under the skin but can justify the steeper price, the way all crossovers seem to do.

Value

The Bolt starts at $36,620. Our tester was a Bolt Premier, the better of the two trims available, which starts at $41,780. The Premier includes leather seats and a variety of lane change and parking aids.

With options like that sweet roof rack, our car came to $43,905. All of that is before the $7,500 EV tax credit, which would bring its “true” price to $36,405.

Here’s the thing: At that price, about the average new car transaction price these days, the Bolt’s a solid deal. But with the bland seats, the econo-hatch looks and the decidedly not premium interior, the Bolt is not a mid-$40,000 car. It just isn’t. If you want one of these, do yourself a favor and get it before the credit expires.

When it does, Chevrolet is going to have to drop the price, make it more premium somehow or shift over to some electric crossover SUV thing that’s similar under the skin but can justify the steeper price, the way all crossovers seem to do.

Verdict

In so many ways, the Bolt is a win. It’s priced well (as long as that EV credit exists), it’s fun enough, it’s practical and it’s easy to live with. You almost can’t ask for a better way to ease people into electric cars. Yes, charging was a pain, but I would have sorted it eventually, and most drivers won’t have to deal with New York City headaches like I did.

I was kind of surprised that I came to many of the same conclusions about the Bolt that my colleague Kristen Lee did about the Tesla Model 3 Long Range she tested. (I was on vacation when she had that car, and I did not get to drive it.) Even if the Model 3 does some radical things with its design and interior, at the end of the day it’s trying to drive like a normal, range-anxiety-free car would, and the Bolt is attempting the exact same thing. I think that normal-ness is what the EV market needs most right now.

And like Kristen, I’m not ready to have this as my only car, and not just for charging and range reasons. I’d miss engine noise, shifting gears myself and all the other irrational things I love about internal combustion cars. But there was something rewarding, even tranquil, about driving around in something I knew wasn’t contributing to air pollution, gas consumption and the climate shifts likely to finish us all of someday.

Would the Bolt make a good daily alongside some old, weird, fun and terrible Jalop-mobile? You could do a lot worse than that combo.
There's a lot more in the article.

Back