Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote: WetEV wrote:
GRA wrote:Fort all those waiting for a PHFCEV, here it is.
With 7.4kW on board charger and 32 NEDC miles of range, it wouldn't be totally useless outside California. 20 EPA miles of range might handle my old commute, if using the workplace charge stations everyday... Totally rad. Fort it is. Closest hydrogen station is just 590 miles away. If it is working, that is.
Looks like they recognized the error of their ways and increased the battery size to 13.2kwh: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/10 ... ongress%29
@GRA, I can get behind a FC-PHEV, and not a FCEV, because with a large enough battery, this car can do 90% of its driving on electricity (with minimal transfer losses of going from solar panels, through the inverters, and straight into the battery). The costs to produce enough H2 for that remaining 10% of driving is an acceptable trade-off for fast refueling.
Maybe Toyota and Hyundai can revamp their products to be PHEV's instead? The reduction of the fuel-cell stack size (and thus cooling needs) should go a long way towards providing more space for batteries. If the GLC FCPHEV sells more than either the Mirai or Tucson, then maybe it'll open their eyes.
I've been saying for a few years now that for those who can benefit (i.e. have convenient charging for routine use), a PHFCEV combines the best features of the two techs: Battery for local use with max. efficiency, plus the FC for long range/quick refueling and waste heat for winter without hauling around the weight and bulk of a big battery all the time. I do think that we still need one more generation of battery and FC improvements in weight/volume/size for these to be commercially viable, but it's nice to have one available to the public as opposed to the commercial-only PHFCEVs like the Kangoo Z.E.
DarthPuppy wrote: I think the battery needs to be a bit larger so there is more pure EV capability and less dependence on the H2 infrastructure. I can see this being more successful than the Mirai. It will be interesting to see how it actually does when it hits the market. I suspect it will be too pricey. But I thought the same about the Model S and Model X and those do seem to sell.
I agree that there will eventually be a need for bigger packs providing a variety of longer battery ranges (say 20/40/60 miles, or whatever increments best meet public desires), but for now they should keep the packs sized so they can be fully charged overnight on L1, making these cars viable with the least hassle and lowest price for the maximum number of customers, including those who live in condos/townhomes/apartments with limited charging facilities.