Official Coda Electric Car thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Production Photos ... not as bad as the earlier ones.

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ion-photos

Earlier this year, it announced that it would assemble its lithium-ion battery packs in Ohio, courtesy of a U.S. Department of Energy low-interest loan guarantee. While the Hafei Saibao "glider" vehicle on which the Coda is based is manufactured in China, it turns out that the Coda's 2011 Sedan actually qualifies as a U.S.-built car.

2011-coda-sedan-final-production-version_100322682_m.jpg

2011-coda-sedan-final-production-version_100322677_m.jpg

It looks like what we saw in June to me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2DTZ98D63Q[/youtube]

indyflick said:
It looks like what we saw in June to me.
Wow?!? The "Epitome of American Innovation"?!

Cute video, but kinda like "EVs for Dummies". ;)

I hope the Coda does well. The more EV options, the better. Were they able to improve upon their safety and quality issues?

The newest design is definitely a noticeable improvement. It looks alright now, although it's still rather plain. Not a head-turner. And not much different from any generic '96-'02-era car. It would blend in with the average car on the road, and maybe that's what they're going for.

In my opinion, the car needs a bit sharper definition at the front, but the side profile looks very Volvo-ish to me. If the quality is good, the car could sell reasonably well.

However, they need to back it up with excellent warranty, servicing and support and a decent network of knowledgeable and enthusiastic dealers, and get their branding together a bit more.

smkettner said:
Looks like Nissan will have some solid competition.
I wouldn't want a Chinese made vehicle, especially when there are Japanese and U.S. options at the same price points. I wonder if Walmart will carry the CODA? They could sell it under an American flag, sort of like all the other Chinese made crap they sell.

indyflick said:
So what's the deal with CODA? I thought they were a Chinese auto manufacture, but then I saw the video which makes the claim the are U.S. Then I found this article on Edmunds entitled China-Made Hafei Saibao Heads to U.S. - Rebadged as Coda Sedan.

It is a pvt US company with connections to Goldman Sachs. Read the article in the first post about the Chinese connection ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coda_Automotive

Kevin Czinger - President & CEO of CODA Automotive, former executive at Global Signal, Webvan Group, Bertelsmann AG, and Goldman Sachs
Miles L. Rubin - Founder and Co-Chairman of the board of directors, founder of Miles Electric Vehicles, former CEO of Detroit Iron & Steel Industries, Reliance Manufacturing, Puritan Fashions Corp. and Polo Ralph Lauren Jeanswear
Steven “Mac” Heller - Co-Chairman of CODA Automotive; former Goldman Sachs Head of Mergers & Acquisitions, Worldwide and Co-Head of the Investment Banking Division

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/for-the-coda-a-preface-in-washington/?src=mv&ref=automobiles

The company has built around 70 and crash-tested around 40 of those, he said. The first customer deliveries are planned in mid-December, he said, and the company hopes to sell 14,000 in the first year.
Coda will announce pricing at the end of this month; factoring in a $7,500 federal tax credit, the pricing will be “in the mid-30’s,’’ he said. Some states offer additional tax credits.

Coda's distribution strategy is rather weak. Appears they'll have only one dealership and it will be located in Los Angeles. Then they'll also have seven additional locations, throughout CA, where prospective customers can test drive the car. For service, Coda says they are working with Firestone to have their technicians trained to do necessary warranty work at 75 Firestone auto service locations. If this were 2005, I think they may sell a few thousand. But today, with two heavy weight OEMs launching less expensive vehicles, with wider distribution, and with a comprehensive service solution...

Coda announced there pricing today: $44,900! That would be net $37,400 after the $7,500 tax credit compared to the Leaf at $25,280. Good news for Nissan!

Below is the link to autobloggreen's story:

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/09/21/2011-coda-electric-sedan-priced-at-44-900/

Here's a quote from the latest Wired magazine that had a "Sneak Peak" of the Coda on page 150:

"WIRED: Should be relatively inexpensive. Judging by the prototype, it will be perfectly functional.

TIRED: We couldn't get a production model for testing, which may indicate that it won't be ready this year. Sedate styling. California-only."

See part of their review at:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/

How Coda expects to sell their no-name-brand car at such a price premium is beyond me. If they priced it below the Leaf they'd have somewhat of a chance - as it is now, they haven't the slightest chance.

johnr said:
How Coda expects to sell their no-name-brand car at such a price premium is beyond me. If they priced it below the Leaf they'd have somewhat of a chance - as it is now, they haven't the slightest chance.

Fleets. Probably at a discount - and may be the government with their Goldman Sachs connection.

Learning that the LEAF likely has a total (though not usable) battery size of 30 kWh compared to Coda's 34 kWh, followed by Coda's pricing announcement, brought some clarity for me. The Coda seemed worthy of consideration, but not at that price. However, although the LEAF is my first choice at present, I will be keeping an eye on the Ford Focus EV.

abasile said:
Learning that the LEAF likely has a total (though not usable) battery size of 30 kWh compared to Coda's 34 kWh, followed by Coda's pricing announcement, brought some clarity for me. The Coda seemed worthy of consideration, but not at that price. However, although the LEAF is my first choice at present, I will be keeping an eye on the Ford Focus EV.

I think Focus EV is the only competitor to Leaf until Toyota & Honda come up with their EVs in 2012/13. But I doubt Ford will be able to match Leaf in price given that they are getting everything done outside ...

johnr said:
If they have some on the lot they are about one year ahead of Nissan.
Just saying you cannot just go down to the local dealer and buy a Leaf or even Volt for that matter.

Back