User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11370
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:16 pm

Update : http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/ ... nnel=11563


VW has finally decided to embrace EVs. They will reveal their e-Golf (and Europe only e-Up) in the Frankfurt auto show.

The specs are eerily similar - 24.2 kWh battery, 118 mile NEDC range (Leaf is 120) and 0-60 for some 10.4 sec. VW even makes their own motors and battery.

Apparently no space compromise, unlike Focus EV - even though e-Golf shares the platform with the fossil fueled cars.

Will the e-Golf finally offer some all-state competition to Leaf ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/volksw ... -1.1438525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to ?

User avatar
JeremyW
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 am
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136
Location: San Gabriel, CA

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:23 pm

evnow wrote:Will the e-Golf finally offer some all-state competition to Leaf ?

Not without CHAdeMO. :roll:
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Now driving Honda Fit EV, License plate: CHADEMO
2000 Honda Insight for long trips

LEAFfan
Posts: 4826
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:57 pm

JeremyW wrote:
evnow wrote:Will the e-Golf finally offer some all-state competition to Leaf ?

Not without CHAdeMO. :roll:


It will have SAE's combo QC, but not CHAdeMO.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 9998
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:08 pm

JeremyW wrote:
evnow wrote:Will the e-Golf finally offer some all-state competition to Leaf ?

Not without CHAdeMO. :roll:


Guys are buying up the Chevy Spark when the clueless (or fraudulent) dealers tell them they can charge anywhere. It's happened many times already.

Since these new compliance cars from GM, VW, BMW, Mercedes will have Frankenplugs, the largely first time EV buyers won't have a clue... sheep to slaughter.

PS: before somebody "informs" me that VW "isn't" a compliance car, let me assure that they are. They may sell just the absolute minimum, like Toyota and Honda, or try and sell more, like the LEAF. But, without a doubt, the VW EV will be sold in California to comply with CARB-ZEV and it is the PRIMARY reason it is being introduced now.

BMW, Fiat/Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Daimler/Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen must comply with the new 2012 and later CARB-ZEV requirements. Four additional manufacturers would also be required to comply with the ZEV requirements, but would be allowed to meet their obligation with PHEVs.

scottf200
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:36 pm

VW Readies e-up!, e-Golf EVs For Mass Production
http://www.earthtechling.com/2013/08/129941/
Not fast but pretty efficient it seems. Four regen modes!
For those looking to save money at the electric car fuel pump, i.e. electric vehicle charger, VW is saying both vehicles are “leaders in energy efficiency, meaning that the e-up! consumes just 11.7 kWh of electricity per 100 km – this makes it the new world champion in efficiency. The e-Golf, positioned two classes higher, attains an excellent value of 12.7 kWh. Given an electricity price of €0.258 per kWh (Germany, as of 31st July 2013), driving 100 km with the e-up! costs just €3.02, and with the e-Golf it is around €3.30.

As far as European performance specifications and drivetrains go, here’s what Volkswagen puts the vehicles at:

e-Golf: driven by a 85 kW / 115 PS electric motor. The motor produces its maximum drive torque of 270 Nm as soon as it starts off. The results: the front-wheel drive e-Golf reaches 100 km/h in 10.4 seconds. On a motorway, the speed of the five-seat front-wheel drive car is electronically limited to 140 km/h. Its battery (24.2 kWh) has a range of 190 km, and with fast battery charging can get up to 80 percent capacity in around half an hour.

e-up!: its electric motor produces 60 kW / 82 PS. This motor transmits 210 Nm of torque to the driven front axle from a standstill. It completes the sprint to 100 km/h in 12.4 seconds. Top speed: 130 km/h. It can drive 160 km on one battery charge (18.7 kWh), and with fast battery charging can get up to 80 percent capacity in around half an hour.

Both electric cars have what are described as two “efficient driving” modes (“Eco”, “Eco+”) and four regenerative braking modes (“D1”, “D2”, “D3” and “B”) that help to extend maximum driving ranges. In Germany, it was found that around 80 percent of all car drivers there go fewer than 50 km daily, so most should easily be able to get around on one battery charge.
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
RIP Tesla Model X P90DL - Sig:603 | 2011 Volt to kid | 2016 for wife | 2012 other kid

RonDawg
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:45 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:PS: before somebody "informs" me that VW "isn't" a compliance car, let me assure that they are. They may sell just the absolute minimum, like Toyota and Honda, or try and sell more, like the LEAF. But, without a doubt, the VW EV will be sold in California to comply with CARB-ZEV and it is the PRIMARY reason it is being introduced now.


That's a different definition of "compliance car" than I, and I suspect most here, have of the term. CARB-ZEV is the primary reason why almost all car manufacturers, other than perhaps Tesla, is offering EVs. If they want to sell cars here, one of the world's largest individual car markets by volume, it's either offer the required number of ZEVs, buy enough of someone else's credits, or pay a penalty.

By your definition, a Leaf is a compliance car as well.

To me, a compliance car is just that...to get around a rule. A "homologation special" is another example of a compliance car. If the car is only planned to be sold in CARB-following states (especially California-only), in just enough numbers to satisfy Sacramento regulators, and especially in closed-end-lease-only form, that's a compliance car to me. If you sell way more than you are required to, and well outside the area where you are forced to, IMHO that no longer makes it a compliance car.

Until we know just how available the new eGolf will be, we can't really say if it will be a "compliance car" or not.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 9998
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:21 pm

RonDawg wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:PS: before somebody "informs" me that VW "isn't" a compliance car, let me assure that they are. They may sell just the absolute minimum, like Toyota and Honda, or try and sell more, like the LEAF. But, without a doubt, the VW EV will be sold in California to comply with CARB-ZEV and it is the PRIMARY reason it is being introduced now.


That's a different definition of "compliance car" than I, and I suspect most here, have of the term. CARB-ZEV is the primary reason why almost all car manufacturers, other than perhaps Tesla, is offering EVs. If they want to sell cars here, one of the world's largest individual car markets by volume, it's either offer the required number of ZEVs, buy enough of someone else's credits, or pay a penalty.

By your definition, a Leaf is a compliance car as well.


The definition is not mine; it is the California Air Resources Board. Been in use since the 1990's, at least.

Yes, the LEAF is absolutely used for CARB-ZEV compliance, and Nissan is now selling the credits as the fruits of their labors of selling "too many". Maybe we should call the LEAF a "Compliance Plus" car.

Tesla doesn't that've to comply because they aren't one of the listed companies that CARB requires to comply. Mitsubishi doesn't have to comply, either, because of their miniature size. Those are the only two REAL non-compliance zero emission cars.

User avatar
surfingslovak
Vendor
Posts: 3808
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:22 pm

RonDawg wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:PS: before somebody "informs" me that VW "isn't" a compliance car, let me assure that they are. They may sell just the absolute minimum, like Toyota and Honda, or try and sell more, like the LEAF. But, without a doubt, the VW EV will be sold in California to comply with CARB-ZEV and it is the PRIMARY reason it is being introduced now.


That's a different definition of "compliance car" than I, and I suspect most here, have of the term.

Yes. While I might be biased, I wouldn't put all the major automakers into the same basket. Tesla is the clear leader, and although I hope that they will continue to push the envelope, I don't think that they can meet all future demand. There are not that many automakers, who would put in an honest effort, which is a shame.

Of the few that appear to be committed, Nissan looks to be by far the most ambitious and motivated. GM and BMW are important players, given the current market situation, and I wouldn't water down their efforts by calling their vehicles compliance cars. I think most automakers will try to concentrate their efforts on making a number of PHEVs. There will be select few with a BEV program worth mentioning. I think BMW is one of them, and the i3 will be sold in all markets, much like the LEAF.

Although the Chevy Spark and the Honda Fit are compliance BEVs in the classic sense, at least they seem to be well-engineered ans are getting proper attention from the OEM. I'm not quite sure what to think of the Fiat 500e and the upcoming VW e-Golf and e-up!. Hopefully, they will prove to be well engineered. Other than that, strict compliance cars available in few select markets.

RonDawg
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:02 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:Yes, the LEAF is absolutely used for CARB-ZEV compliance, and Nissan is now selling the credits as the fruits of their labors of selling "too many". Maybe we should call the LEAF a "Compliance Plus" car.

Tesla doesn't that've to comply because they aren't one of the listed companies that CARB requires to comply. Mitsubishi doesn't have to comply, either, because of their miniature size. Those are the only two REAL non-compliance zero emission cars.


I disagree that the Leaf is a compliance car at all. Nissan could have met its CARB ZEV mandates by taking an existing ICEV and modifying it for battery propulsion, just like Toyota and Honda and Chrysler and Ford and GM (with the Spark EV) have done.

Instead they poured millions into development of a new car designed to be battery electric only. Regardless of how you feel about Nissan's post-sales handling of its customers, you do have to applaud them for sticking their noses out like that. In that regard, Nissan is no different than Tesla, the difference being Nissan can absorb any potential losses a lot better than Tesla could if the experiment went awry.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

blackmamba
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:43 pm
Delivery Date: 0- 0-1913

Re: VolksWagen e-Golf

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:48 am

A compliance car is one that earns credits from CARB for complying with CARB-ZEV, credits that can be sold to other car manufacturers. So, all EVs are compliance cars - including all Teslas and the Mitsubishi imiev because of those credits they earn for their maker.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”