User avatar
redLEAF
Gold Member
Posts: 1681
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:44 am

I've got an 'early' deposit (3/31 of this year) for a Tesla Model 3 but my '12 LEAF SL with 45K miles and down one battery capacity 'bar' is barely making my new longer commute (even at 100% charge) in the winter so I'm getting a '15 e-Golf with just over 1K miles on it for $18K that will be my 'stop gap' EV until the Model 3 becomes available -- after my LEAF trade-in I'm out-of-pocket around $13K for a next to new EV. Although I didn't get to drive one, I like the multiple regen options, better ride/handling, heated windshield glass (similar to the rear defroster) that the e-Golf offers -- I've owned VW's for years (still have 2 ICE's from them) and despite dieselgate this e-Golf looks like a great effort. Even if I can only get $5K for it once the Model 3 is available (I'm predicting about 2 years plus from now) its still a lot less than opting to buy/lease a Tesla Model S (which I did consider) and even a bit less that buying a new LEAF SV (at least around Chicagoland -- not much inventory and would have to go through the whole Fed Tax Credit and paying extra sales tax up front, etc.). I had also thought about opting for an on-my-own-dime $6K lizard battery replacement but my LEAF has now gone through 4+ Midwest winters and it still has the less efficient heater, etc. -- I did check with my local VW dealer first and all their tech's are EV certified to work on the e-Golf probably in anticipation of the US-wide rollout of next year's model.

Will update once I get it -- we don't get these in the Midwest at all yet so its coming in from the east coast; should see it in 3 weeks or less. They had a recent long-term wrap up test in Automobile that duplicates a lot of the same conditions we have here:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2015-volkswagen-e-golf-sel-premium-one-year-review/

My VW dealer is really bending over backwards to keep customers (really hard once your reputation has been damaged like this) but they've really always treated me fairly, are really convenient to drop off (and get service loaners) a short distance from where we live so back in late '11 when we bought our LEAF if VW offered this car, would have easily chosen them over Nissan. The LEAF did OK but a few things with it always bugged me (thin paint, inefficient heater, poorly designed electric windows/switches, etc.) enough for a change sooner than I expected -- I do give Nissan a LOT of credit for being first with 'affordable' EV's but they'll need to step their game up with the latest new entrants; and NO VW isn't there quite yet but for this kind of money and timing it should work for me.
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2018?) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

User avatar
paulgipe
Gold Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:23 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200
Location: Bakersfield, CA 93305
Contact: Website

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Great summary of you thinking abd useful info on the VW.
2015 Nissan S with QC, Brilliant Silver, leased
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, bought used 10/3/16
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; EVSEUpgrade; Jesla

EVforRobert
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:51 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Sep 2015
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:02 pm

You got a good price for the e-Golf. Thanks for the link to Jamie Kitman's article. He used to have a column entitled "Noise, Vibration and Harshness" which, of course BEV's haven't got.
2015 SV LED + Quickcharge Mfg 10/14
61.34 AHr 500 mi. 57.05 AHr 12075 mi. 12/16
2016 S 30kWh Mfg 9/16 82.34 AHr 4 miles

RonDawg
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:21 am

redLEAF wrote:I've got an 'early' deposit (3/31 of this year) for a Tesla Model 3 but my '12 LEAF SL with 45K miles and down one battery capacity 'bar' is barely making my new longer commute (even at 100% charge) in the winter so I'm getting a '15 e-Golf with just over 1K miles on it for $18K that will be my 'stop gap' EV until the Model 3 becomes available -- after my LEAF trade-in I'm out-of-pocket around $13K for a next to new EV. Although I didn't get to drive one, I like the multiple regen options, better ride/handling, heated windshield glass (similar to the rear defroster) that the e-Golf offers -- I've owned VW's for years (still have 2 ICE's from them) and despite dieselgate this e-Golf looks like a great effort. Even if I can only get $5K for it once the Model 3 is available (I'm predicting about 2 years plus from now) its still a lot less than opting to buy/lease a Tesla Model S (which I did consider) and even a bit less that buying a new LEAF SV (at least around Chicagoland -- not much inventory and would have to go through the whole Fed Tax Credit and paying extra sales tax up front, etc.). I had also thought about opting for an on-my-own-dime $6K lizard battery replacement but my LEAF has now gone through 4+ Midwest winters and it still has the less efficient heater, etc. -- I did check with my local VW dealer first and all their tech's are EV certified to work on the e-Golf probably in anticipation of the US-wide rollout of next year's model.

Will update once I get it -- we don't get these in the Midwest at all yet so its coming in from the east coast; should see it in 3 weeks or less. They had a recent long-term wrap up test in Automobile that duplicates a lot of the same conditions we have here:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2015-volkswagen-e-golf-sel-premium-one-year-review/

My VW dealer is really bending over backwards to keep customers (really hard once your reputation has been damaged like this) but they've really always treated me fairly, are really convenient to drop off (and get service loaners) a short distance from where we live so back in late '11 when we bought our LEAF if VW offered this car, would have easily chosen them over Nissan. The LEAF did OK but a few things with it always bugged me (thin paint, inefficient heater, poorly designed electric windows/switches, etc.) enough for a change sooner than I expected -- I do give Nissan a LOT of credit for being first with 'affordable' EV's but they'll need to step their game up with the latest new entrants; and NO VW isn't there quite yet but for this kind of money and timing it should work for me.


Congrats on the new (to you) purchase. I've had my eGolf just under 18 months now and I'm extremely happy with it.

I'm guessing that if you bought the car through a VW dealer that it's already been addressed, but make sure that it's had its safety recalls done. There are two for the 2015 eGolf:

1. NHTSA Campaign 16V138000 reflashes the Battery Management software to address an issue with which the car mysteriously shuts down for no reason. Affects cars built on or before March 1, 2016. A handful of eGolf owners had theirs Lemon Lawed prior to VW figuring out the problem.

2. NHTSA Campaign 15V627000 addresses the problem in which the front passenger airbag sensor does not properly detect the size of the passenger sitting in that seat, causing it to not inflate properly or even not at all. Affects eGolfs built on or before October 18, 2014 (very few if any of these super-early cars made it to the US) as well as some other Golfs and Jettas.

Also, did you get the SEL or the LE? The SEL is the one with the faux leather interior, and also has a heat pump which draws far less energy than the pre-2013 Leaf heaters. A/C isn't quite as cold though.

There are also some TSBs for non-safety related items like the HVAC annoyingly resetting itself to 68 degrees F if the car is shut off for more than 20 minutes or so.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

User avatar
jlv
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 pm

redLEAF wrote:so I'm getting a '15 e-Golf
IMHO, I really love the e-Golf -- especially for how it doesn't look grotesquely like an EV.

But, the first few years of e-Golf's have a really bad misfeature if you use shared EVSEs -- the car always locks the charge cord, and it can only be unlocked by the owner of the car. Here at work we have about 40 parking spots served by 20 EVSEs. If you end up getting parked next to an e-Golf you have to wait for the owner to come out and unplug their car.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17)Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Model 3 reservation
(Probably no LEAF2 for me)

asimba2
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:15 am
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2014
Location: Northern CA

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:25 am

jlv wrote:
redLEAF wrote:so I'm getting a '15 e-Golf
IMHO, I really love the e-Golf -- especially for how it doesn't look grotesquely like an EV.

But, the first few years of e-Golf's have a really bad misfeature if you use shared EVSEs -- the car always locks the charge cord, and it can only be unlocked by the owner of the car. Here at work we have about 40 parking spots served by 20 EVSEs. If you end up getting parked next to an e-Golf you have to wait for the owner to come out and unplug their car.


Your message implies they changed this feature. Did they? It was probably my biggest gripe of the e-Golf.

RonDawg
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:28 pm

asimba2 wrote:
jlv wrote:
redLEAF wrote:so I'm getting a '15 e-Golf
IMHO, I really love the e-Golf -- especially for how it doesn't look grotesquely like an EV.

But, the first few years of e-Golf's have a really bad misfeature if you use shared EVSEs -- the car always locks the charge cord, and it can only be unlocked by the owner of the car. Here at work we have about 40 parking spots served by 20 EVSEs. If you end up getting parked next to an e-Golf you have to wait for the owner to come out and unplug their car.


Your message implies they changed this feature. Did they? It was probably my biggest gripe of the e-Golf.


This feature was changed for the 2016 model.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

User avatar
redLEAF
Gold Member
Posts: 1681
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 am

2015 VW e-Golf Limited; bought used with 1,234 miles – previous history says it was a 1-yr lease, perhaps a VW Exec?, not sure but was last registered in CT – traded in a ’12 LEAF SL that had 46K miles on it, my LEAF was down 1 battery capacity bar on the GOM and quickly getting ready to lose its 2nd bar as it would lose its first charged bar within a very few miles of driving; never did check it with LeafSpy but as it just passed its 5-year service anniversary, would NOT have been eligible for a capacity warranty replacement; needed to ‘upgrade’ to something else as even on my 40 mile R/T commuter trips with a full charge would still hit the ‘low battery’ warning even with VERY minimal use of the HVAC system and ECO mode on my way home; could NOT see it lasting until a Tesla M3 was out; while waiting for this e-Golf to come in, I was able to L2 charge it at a free charger near work but it wasn’t always available; it was simply a matter of time; I do have an ICE for bad weather, etc. but wanted to keep the mileage down on it as well.

The e-Golf (even in our extreme cold temps as of late) appears to still have its full capacity of EV range; it has 4 levels of regen that really allow it to quickly recoup range at minor loss of HVAC and speed, etc. – love the fact that at the highest regen levels, it will warn drivers behind you by turning on the brake lights (even though you aren’t pressing the brake) when you chose to use it, at night I was able to see where the ‘threshold’ (can see the reflection of the 3rd brake light in the back hatch window) – at the ‘B’ setting, you can easily single pedal it.

Some quick things I’ve noticed in the first week I’ve owned it –

Handling / suspension – power steering isn’t over boosted like my LEAF, responds well and very precise without feeling vague; even w/o a leather wrapped wheel, decent wheel position (although I do miss my heated steering wheel a bit!) – the car really shows its German precision on hwy ramps and S-turns; a real blast to drive, no wallowing in turns at all; it’s a smaller car but rides well, firm but not harsh, absorbs most bumps easily and suspension doesn’t bottom out – my son has a Golf R, the e-Golf is a bit softer of course but ‘feels’ much sportier than the LEAF ever was.

Acceleration – perhaps simply perception, but feels quicker off the line w/o really trying, even when using the regen settings; gets up to 70 MPH very quickly and wind and tire noise is minimal; its initial 0 to 30 MPH is quite quick like most EV’s

Brakes – BIG difference here with the 1st gen LEAF, the ‘B’ regen setting minimizes need to apply the brakes much, this will REALLY extend the brake life – when you do need them very responsive without grabbing or being too touchy (that last one happened a few times with the LEAF, seemed to be super-sensitive to even the slightest amount of pedal pressure at times w/o any warning).

Fit/finish & controls – all the switches (door locks, window lifts, etc.) are back-lit for quick reference at night, a big pet peeve with the LEAF; even though VW chose to use a ‘regular’ appearing shifter, it’s quite easy to know what regen (or not) ‘gear’ you’re in as well as adjust it quickly; the ‘feel’ of the shifter and the shift boot, etc. is great and materials used are top notch. The e-Golf is mfg in Germany and all seams, panel gaps, etc. line up great – sure we have some hard plastic surfaces but these are much less than what is used in the LEAF. Lastly, the back-up camera is simply better because it pops out from underneath the rear VW chrome badge when in use (which also doubles as the hatch release) so stays protected from road salt and grit – who remembers to clean that camera off when it’s really needed? Also, this one included the parking assist sensors; its a smaller car so perhaps not really necessary but does help to warn you before you hit something Nice touch VW!

Range – VW chose to use a regular looking fuel gauge but it’s combined with a digital read out --- I found it MUCH better at real-time range estimate than my first-gen LEAF but then I’ve heard that later years (‘13’s and newer) are finally getting this better; my new e-Golf of course has a close to ‘new’ battery so expect some better range and it hasn’t disappointed yet --- heater use will effect range but not as near as much as the 1st-gen LEAF; VW heated seats (mine are cloth) get quite hot quickly along with a heated element windshield helps minimize its effect on range – I do toggle it on and off to see the difference – perhaps 6 miles it seems at most times, we had some days in single digits; driving at hwy speeds (65 to 70 MPH) and its done quite well --- range typically shows about 78 miles (at about 90% charged) which is more than enough for my 40 miles work commute; expect 100+ when we finally see springtime temps again but that would be a bonus.

Charging – this ’15 will indeed ‘lock’ the charge cord to it when charging, so on an occasion that I used a public charger station, I made sure to move the car once it was done charging (everyone should do this anyway!); perhaps an additional step but at least I was prepared for it – you’ll get about 24 miles/hour of range with the 7.2 kW it has for L2 charging (a bit more than the 2nd gen LEAF 6.6 kW); charging is very quiet, almost imperceptible when compared to the 1st gen LEAF (which charged at half that rate); charge port door is small as VW opted for CCS DC (which my car is capable of) and it shows a few lights that will indicate charging status right where you plug it in --- nice! My EVSE will need a higher amp control station circuit board (as mentioned elsewhere on MNL forum) but by NOT charging fully, I’ve been able to avoid any issues using my Schneider EVSE.

Comfort – most other VW’s have great seats; these are no exception, the black and grey cloth with blue stitching look nice and are quite comfortable, lots of adjustments for just about any size, no fatigue after a long drive, heated aspect much better than the LEAF (plus they don’t cycle off) with 3 settings – much better power windows as well as are capable to all roll down at the same time to release the daytime heat (haven’t used this yet of course) and don’t think they’ll have the same repeat issues we’ve had with LEAF needing attention just about at every service interval (constant need to lubricate the driver’s side power window, etc. as they always seem to run real slow).

Styling – of course this is up to the potential buyer; some love the unique aspect of the LEAF, the Golf series however would not ever be considered as ‘dorky’ as what many see as a negative with the LEAF; the e-Golf just adds a few accents (c-shaped LED DRL’s in the front bumper as well as a few blue accents) and trim pieces, I happen to like its stealth-mode; you would never know it’s an EV.

Overall package, value, etc. – although this was to be my ‘stop gap’ EV until we see the Tesla Model 3, I actually like it so much I may simply consider driving it until later on when Tesla offers their Model Y (compact SUV) that is expected to use the Model 3 chassis but we’ll see --- no question a 200+ mile range EV is much more desirable but I see this e-Golf as something the LEAF could have been in the first place – it still a shame that all ‘commuter’ EV’s continue to suffer BIG depreciation hits (that’s why I’m even driving this one in the first place) but at least I’ve been able to take advantage of it this time.

VW hasn’t sold a lot of these but definitely worth a 2nd look on the used market if you can find one – I did hear that the e-Golf should go to more dealers with the 2017 model with its 124 mile range; still not Tesla or Chevy Bolt range but getting better --- as we were already used to coming home on weekends to charge for a few hours in-between errands, until the 200+ range (along with a usable Supercharger or other DC network for longer trips) is more available this EV should fit the bill for a few years while we wait and see what comes next. I'm still working with VW's version of CARWINGS (they call it Car-Net) so I can check charging status and pre-condition the HVAC, etc. --- will post another update later -- by trading now I also avoided a few hundred bucks the LEAF needed to keep its CARWINGS (over to a 3G network) and its annual battery check (which of course still would have been all 5's!!) -- I was a little sorry to see it go, decent service for the 5 years we had it --- not exceptional but decent --- car still holds the record for the lowest running and maintenance costs but set a NEW record on depreciation!
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2018?) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

RonDawg
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Congrats on your purchase. I'm very happy with mine. I'm even considering buying out the lease especially if VW Credit offers a discount off the residual the way NMAC did for my Leaf (I don't need 127 miles of range).

You mentioned cloth seats...I'm guessing you got one of the rare eGolf LE's? Most 2015 models were the top-spec SEL with the (fake) leather interior. If your car has halogen lamps and hubcaps (vs. LED's and alloys) you have the LE model. Just FYI this model has a conventional resistive heater and not the heat pump like the SEL does.

Personally I find the eGolf to have more usable range, even though the EPA says it's the same as a similar year Leaf. I easily attain 4 miles/kWH in the eGolf whereas I had to be a bit gentle with the Leaf to do that. 80 miles/charge is doable in the eGolf using all freeway (at reasonable speeds); to do that in the Leaf required me to use lower-speed city streets.

As far as the styling...it doesn't scream "eco" at all. It's so anonymous that when I brought it to a Drive Electric event, the event staff told me to park it by the ICEVs :lol:
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar on 11/21/2015 at 26,435 miles.
Lease returned on 12/23/2015. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:47 pm

The thing I hate most about my 2016 eGolf Sel is that it locks the charging plug. In most other respects in compares favorably to my ex Mercedes B. So far I love the car.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”