Drivesolo
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2011

Nissan BladeGlider - Performance EV Concept

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:38 am

2011 SL Superblack - Delivered 10/10/2011
"As an individual, not as the boss of a company, I am very interested in motor racing." - Carlos Ghosn
"Racing improves the breed." - Soichiro Honda

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Re: Nissan BladeGlider - Performance EV Concept

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:45 am

With the narrow front track, perhaps not the greatest
geometry for its turning stability?
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/nissan-b ... o-1538444/
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

ttweed
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1317

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:00 am

garygid wrote:With the narrow front track, perhaps not the greatest

That was the same beef drivers had when they saw the Deltawing race car for the first time. It turned out the car could still turn very well, and the aero/weight advantage of the design was substantial. No one else is really jumping on the bandwagon in the ALMS series with such narrow front track designs, but the front stability and grip has not proven to be a problem.

This concept car is interesting, but I don't see it coming to production in the same guise anytime soon, or ever. Just give me a small, light, simple, cheap, two-seater ESFLOW EV in the next two years, Nissan!

TT

I wish auto makers would stop making concept cars that we all know will never be produced and spend more time making their existing crappy designs better. Remember the Toyota Volta? How about all those EV concepts that are never made? Lots of amazing designs are shown that are viable and yet they spew out the same junk. I think these concepts are projects designed to keep talented designers from leaving the companies from boredom. :lol:
Tom Tweed
La Jolla, CA
Plowshare Media
2011 SLe #1317 del. 4/1/11
1st bar lost at 31,953 miles
2nd bar lost at 38,685 miles
3rd bar lost at 50,711 miles
4th bar lost at 59,758 miles after 64 months
Battery replaced at 61,307 miles.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:41 am

Insideevs has posted more videos and the press release from Nissan excerpted below.

Advances such as in-wheel motors and carbon fiber for weight reduction will both probably be commonplace in all BEVs soon, IMO.

I give Nissan a lot of credit for going long with the concept, but I want a smaller, lighter, more efficient and longer range sport BEV soon, so I hope Nissan either bring an Esflow into production in the next few years, or that it fast-tracks this next-generation design.

Yeah, the delta looks weird to our ICEV-formed conceptions of vehicle design, but if function determines this form, I hope Nissan has the guts to build it.

...A Provocative Shift in the Engineering Paradigm

With its narrow, 1.0 meter lightweight front track and wide, stable rear track, BladeGlider looks as if it could have sprung from a “skunk works” project. But the radical architecture all boils down to aerodynamics and balance. Having the front wheels close together reduces drag and enhances maneuverability for high G cornering power, assisted by its 30/70 front/rear weight distribution ratio. Aerodynamic downforce is created by the highly rigid yet lightweight carbon-fiber underbody, hence the lack of drag-inducing wings.

When BladeGlider matures into a production car, it could be Nissan’s first use of in-wheel motors. The in-wheel motors provide rear-wheel propulsion with independent motor management, while also contributing to freedom of upper body design and space-efficient packaging.

To power the electric motors, BladeGlider employs Nissan’s innovative lithium-ion battery technology, proven in Nissan LEAF. Battery modules are mounted low and toward the rear to enhance stability and handling.

Revolutionary Breakthrough in High-Performance Design

BladeGlider embodies a fearless vision of the EV future. Its tightly streamlined deltoid body comprises a tough and structurally optimized chassis wrapped in ultra-lightweight, yet strong and stiff, carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) finished in a pearlescent white color that evokes the pristine freedom of a glider. The racing-inspired exterior features a sculpted contour that is both functional and breathtakingly beautiful. Starting from the low, flat and narrow nose, the body line rises gracefully to the cockpit canopy and then curves forcefully back over the large rear wheels, evoking a sense of dynamic movement even when the vehicle is standing still...

http://insideevs.com/nissan-bladeglider ... w-wvideos/
no condition is permanent

GIBBER
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 409884

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:01 am

This concept car is interesting, but I don't see it coming to production in the same guise anytime soon, or ever. Just give me a small, light, simple, cheap, two-seater ESFLOW EV in the next two years, Nissan!

Yes, please Nissan give us the ESFLOW!
"You must unlearn what you have learned" -Yoda
200 Km Club

Drivesolo

Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:24 am

By Nissan introducing the BladeGlider concept w/ no mention of the Esflow as slated for production indicates that Nissan really does not plans for a performance oriented Production EV at this time. So it looks like we may be about 5 (or more) years away from a Nissan performance oriented EV car on showroom floors. But the Tokyo motor show is still a couple of weeks away and supposedly there will be 2 concepts regarding performance cars from Nissan; one intended to be a BRZ/FRS challenger for a youth oriented the mass market and the other a higher-end specialty car. I'm not completely sure which one the BladeGlider represents but I would think the latter. However Nissan has also also recently indicated that the R36 GT-R will be receiving an electric hybrid-drive powerplant. I'm not sure how that will factor in to what will be presented at the motorshow.
"As an individual, not as the boss of a company, I am very interested in motor racing." - Carlos Ghosn

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:45 am

garygid wrote:With the narrow front track, perhaps not the greatest

And combine this with a 70% rear weight distribution! :shock:
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:53 am

Drivesolo wrote:By Nissan introducing the BladeGlider concept w/ no mention of the Esflow as slated for production indicates that Nissan really does not plan for a performance oriented Production EV at this time.

As of today, I am not going to disagree with this^. It would seem that Nissan is moving the goalposts on their EV's into a more "exotic", "far future" category. Nissan design always described LEAF as "from the near future". EsFlow was "a fully resolved and realistic electric sports car". Bancon has made no secret that Nissans next generation of EV's would be more radical and try to exploit new architecture/packaging made possible by electric propulsion. I would say BladeGlider is it! But there does seem to be something missing in how Nissan made such a huge leap from EsFlow to BladeGlider. The sub-Z (EsFlow?) at Tokyo may shed some light into this gap. If the cup is half full, Ghosn has said that ALL future Nissans will be Hybrids, so a ZEOD powered FRS/BRZ fighter option may be in the mix some day. If the cup is half empty, BladeGlider may indicate that Nissan has lost their way and now unclear how to move forward on production EV's "Today" and "Now". BladeGlider is SO radical, I am a little afraid it's the latter.

So back to BladeGlider design. I will call it "interesting" and intriguing but not especially easy on the eyes. I know a great deal about glider design and all that clumsy stuff hanging on the nose is definitely NOT it! A quick walk around ZEOD should have made that clear. But that F1 drivers seat view is absolutely amazing and very seductive. To pull this concept down to earth though, some actual performance numbers and specs would go a long way in peaking the interest of the go fast crowd.

Tokyo is still a couple of weeks away but I feel that the BladeGlider Concept is very bad news regarding an Electric Sports Car from Nissan. If the plan was to triangulate segments by offering EV's in Practical, Luxury and Performance categories, Nissan is now showing us fairy dust in two of them.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

fotajoye
Delivery Date: 01 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 669

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:37 pm

With 30% of the weight on the front and the narrow front track, this thing's gotta push. I'm thinking you need to dial in some toe out on the loaded rear tire, the outside wheel, and some toe in on the inside rear tire to help it turn. This can be accomplished within the suspension by adjusting the steering and control arm defection angle differences as the vertical deflection changes. I like the style and the aero improvements.

Drivesolo

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:55 pm

^ This will help. Here's Chris Harris's take on the Delta Wing. Ben Bowlby, the man behind the DeltaWing explains the black magic that makes it work. Harris is amazed by how it can corner w/ tires as narrow as as a Citreon 2CV. Yes, the front is so light that Ben Bowlby even picks it up. But it works. Yeah... crazy.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”