TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Re: Nissan BladeGlider - Performance EV Concept

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 pm

edatoakrun wrote:This is a concept, far (but not too far, I hope) removed from the production BEV

I am hoping that it is more far(ish) in aesthetic/proportions. It just reminds me too much of a tail heavy trike which is just about the lowest thing on the performance food chain. Fair or unfair, this is a negative visual association that should be explored. When Bancon very proudly (and rightfully so) stood in front of EsFlow two years ago, he CLEARLY explained the emphasis of the design was for a fully resolved and believable sports car using traditional performance car cues. Now the problem/opportunity is how do you work with unconventional proportions to re-establish sports car cues that make everyone believe a trike will perform. So yes, Nissan knows its very unresolved;

"The BladeGlider... is one vision of how the concept will work. Styling of the production car is expected to change,... being described by design chief Shiro Nakamura as "an extreme interpretation" of how the car could look." - AutoCar

IMHO
-It does have four wheels so make that honest.
-30/70 weight balance does NOT need to mean 30/70 visual mass. In fairness, for Concept purposes, the two tone has been clearly chosen to emphasize the delta planform. But seriously Nissan, I get it! You don't need to put a giant white triangle on top of a black car.

I do not know which studio was assigned this concept but its cobbled character lines make me guess it was Japan. They LOVE odd and cute. But if so, Nissan should really have the Euro and American studios tale a pass at this concept as well.
Last edited by TRONZ on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

NaturesLeaf
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1474

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:30 am

The BladeGlider overcompensates for the performance the last two Leaf's (2011 and 2013) lack. Does anyone know the anticipated price? Can we sign-up yet? I may replace my aging 350Z!
Nature's Leaf
11 Black SL #1474:KoolWhip,CoverKing Leather,Gold Calibers,LED DRL,3.3 kWh Batt Sys in back
05 Black 350Z:Kenwood,Cold Air,Drild & Slot w/Ceramic,Goodrich KDW 295/35 on 10" rear,245/35 on 8.5 AR Rebel
95 F150:Black/Silver

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:43 am

NaturesLeaf wrote:The BladeGlider overcompensates for the performance the last two Leaf's (2011 and 2013) lack. Does anyone know the anticipated price? ...

Only price guess I've seen is from Autocar, which I posted on the previous page:

edatoakrun:

...This story is getting better and better.

...the in-wheel electric motors...(have) been confirmed for the production car, a Nissan first...

"I've driven the prototype, and it is unlike anything I have sampled before," said Palmer. "This is the car that takes advantage of all the packaging benefits of an electric powertrain. All that weight and the set-up of the front racks means that the car is incredibly pointy, but the rear track and downforce mean that you can catch the oversteer with amazing ease."

Palmer confirmed the car will make production, sitting below the more traditional Nissan 370Z sports car in the firm's line-up and in terms of price, meaning it will cost significantly below £30,000 despite its hi-tech electric powertrain.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor ... led?page=1

I interpret that as a the ~$40k US price that would probably sell me one...
no condition is permanent

TRONZ

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:35 pm

If they can break up the "trike" mass then I'm in. And no, I am not a fan of the three seat layout.

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

GIBBER
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 409884

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:32 pm

TRONZ wrote: If they can break up the "trike" mass then I'm in. And no, I am not a fan of the three seat layout.

Then your not a fan of this car as those are key elements to the design and appeal. No worries, there will be plenty of plain jane BEVs for you to choose from.
"You must unlearn what you have learned" -Yoda
200 Km Club

TRONZ

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 pm

GIBBER wrote:those are key elements to the design and appeal

The central drivers position and cockpit is awesome! But overall appeal?? Seriously. After five days this thread has only four pages of moderately OT comments not all positive. Bladeglider is hardly blowing everyones hair back. This is not good. You should wander around the EsFlow threads (consolidated) to see how people respond to an appealing concept. Pages build fast when people are excited and unfortunately, this is not happening.

Stats;

Drivesolo
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2011

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 am

Regardless of what Nissan claims today, I have a feeling that this car will not go to production anytime soon. Palmer says it will but does not indicate a time frame on when it could be available. While this unique design might draw positive feedback in areas like Japan, it most likely won't have the same acceptance in Europe and North America. Being that performance may be the key selling point of this car, they will need to release some solid performance numbers for it to go over well w/ what we're hearing. I'm not sure how they modified an Ariel Atom since it was neither intended to be a DeltaWing layout or a central driver's position or an EV or to handle the increased unsprung mass of the rear suspension. The DeltaWing configuration is probably the perfect layout for an EV; improved areo, best scenario for regen in a RWD platform, low CG and I love the driver's central seating-position, albeit difficult to get in and out of gracefully (assuming the powered lateral-sliding seat doesn't make it to production) but for it to have any chance, it has to equal or beat the performance of the top ICE cars under $30k. That means it has to spank a BRZ/FRS and that's a pretty ambitious goal especially considering that they are not far from introducing a BRZ STi (most likely a 2.0L turbo). I guess Nissan's strategy behind this the same as the Esflow concept; to continue to foster an interest in EVs in what's to come.
2011 SL Superblack - Delivered 10/10/2011
"As an individual, not as the boss of a company, I am very interested in motor racing." - Carlos Ghosn
"Racing improves the breed." - Soichiro Honda

mirko
Delivery Date: 22 Apr 2012
Leaf Number: 18088

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:39 pm

I kinda like the car. One thing that I see missing is side and rear view mirrors!? I guess because of the shape of the car the side view mirrors will not work. I'm not sure how a rear view mirror would work with the driver in the center of the car. I guess that they will probably have cameras and screens setup to take the place of the mirrors.
-=mirko=-
2012 Nissan LEAF SL Glacier Pearl

jstack6
Delivery Date: 28 Sep 2012

Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:58 am

Nissan says they will release the BladeGlider in 2016.

A new concept like this 3 passenger is 50% better that a very limited 2 seat and more aero and efficient. I think it could take off. (pun intended)

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:35 pm

jstack6 wrote:Nissan says they will release the BladeGlider in 2016.

A new concept like this 3 passenger is 50% better that a very limited 2 seat and more aero and efficient. I think it could take off. (pun intended)

Any idea if they will lease it at competitive rates like the Leaf, or focus on selling them? It would be hard enough for me to lease one - buying isn't an option.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”