Official Ford Fusion Energi Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via IEVS:
Ford drops Fusion Energi MSRP $4k to $34,700
http://insideevs.com/ford-fusion-energi-gets-a-4000-price-reduction-to-34700/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, I couldn't find an "Official Fusion Energi" Topic, just C-Max. Is it time to start one? If so, please transfer this there.

They look fairly nice, but the lack of trunk space is a deal-breaker. Does Ford have any plans for fixing that issue?

gsleaf said:
They look fairly nice, but the lack of trunk space is a deal-breaker. Does Ford have any plans for fixing that issue?
No. It's a trade off versus the Volt, five seats for less cargo space and about half the AER. I expect they'll cannibalize Volt sales even more now, unless Chevy drops the price again. I happen to think that 20 miles AER is just about right for mainstream users, as it provides a significant reduction in gas usage (especially with workplace charging), plus you can always get a full charge overnight using L1, thus limiting the hassle factor of moving to a PEV.

GRA said:
gsleaf said:
No. It's a trade off versus the Volt, five seats for less cargo space and about half the AER. I expect they'll cannibalize Volt sales even more now, unless Chevy drops the price again. I happen to think that 20 miles AER is just about right for mainstream users, as it provides a significant reduction in gas usage (especially with workplace charging), plus you can always get a full charge overnight using L1, thus limiting the hassle factor of moving to a PEV.

Personally I'd rather have the Volt. I'm a fan of smaller cars. I'm probably in the minority on that, though. Oh, and a Volt can get a full charge on L1 overnight as well. I believe 8 hours is the charging time on 120V.

adric22 said:
GRA said:
gsleaf said:

Personally I'd rather have the Volt. I'm a fan of smaller cars. I'm probably in the minority on that, though. Oh, and a Volt can get a full charge on L1 overnight as well. I believe 8 hours is the charging time on 120V.
I'd want a smaller car too, but I also insist on good to excellent outward visibility, and the Volt, by all accounts, is deficient in that area. I'd love to see an AWD-capable small CUV with good visibility and no encroachment on cargo area built with the Voltec powertrain, and offered with 20 and 40 mile battery packs as options.

As to a Volt-size battery being able to charge overnight on L1, that depends on both the charging rate and the width of the off-peak window. Many home circuits will be happier/safer charging at 8 amps rather than 12, regardless of whether they're rated at 15 amps or not. And for people who have to deal with utilities like SDG&E, with a narrow super-off-peak rate window, a battery only half the size of the Volt's means you probably don't need L2 to get a full charge during the lowest cost rate period.

Also, we need to get the MSRP and weight down, for when the tax credits expire in not too many years now. In addition, I expect we'll be seeing some production FCHEVs in the not too distant future, and I don't think having battery packs larger than say 20 miles AER makes much economic sense for them. The fuel cell gives long range on clean energy (assuming green electricity makes the H2); the battery is there to allow people to rarely go to a fueling station for their local driving, and to provide an acceleration boost. If you design the small PHEV above with the option in mind, at some point it may be possible to substitute the fuel cell/tank(s) for the ICE/tank.

Via IEVS:
Official: Refreshed Fusion Energi Now Gets 21 Miles AER, 610 Miles Of Total Range
http://insideevs.com/official-refreshed-fusion-energi-now-gets-21-miles-aer-610-miles-of-total-range/

MSRP + dest. $31,995. 43/41/42 mpg, 14 gal. tank. A base 2017 Volt LT runs $34,095 (MSRP + dest.), so the extra $2,100 buys you about 2.5 times the AER and more cargo space, but fewer real seats, a smaller car, and a requirement to have L2 charging at home to fully fill the battery overnight. Haven't compared equipment fits for the price.

Other articles covering the same story. Via ABG:
2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid and Energi Quick Spin
Virtue without the virtue of displaying virtue.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/26/2017-ford-fusion-hybrid-energi-quick-spin-review/

Via GCC:
2017 Ford Fusion Energi PHEV boosts total range to 610 miles
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/2060527-ford.html

Via GCR:
2019 Ford Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid gets 25 miles from revised battery
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-in-hybrid-gets-25-miles-from-revised-battery

. . . Ford has released details of its slightly updated 2019 Ford Fusion mid-size sedan, which includes not only the Hybrid version but also the Energi plug-in hybrid model. The front-end styling has been mildly revised, once again, for the seventh model year of the current Fusion generation. It was previously tweaked for the 2017 model year.

The Hybrid gets no significant mechanical updates, but the Energi model—Ford's sole plug-in hybrid for 2019, following the death of the C-Max Energi in late 2017—gets a battery-capacity boost to give it a higher projected electric range rating. . . .

Specifically, the capacity of the pack has risen from 7.6 kilowatt-hours to 9.0 kwh, courtesy of a new cell chemistry that's slightly more energy-dense. The pack fits within the same form factor as all previous Fusion Energi batteries, according to Jan De Pena, the global chief engineer for the Fusion vehicle line. In the next-generation Fusion, he added, the battery might be more compact, and placed in a different location. (Under the rear seat, we surmise). . . .

Ford did not yet have a projection for the 2019 Fusion Energi's combined gasoline and electric range; this year's figure is 610 miles. The plug-in 2019 Fusion qualifies for a $4,600 federal income-tax credit for buyers. The company says the 2019 Ford Fusion Energi will be in dealerships by "late summer" this year. . . .

Fusions have had unaddressed battery degradation issues reported by some owners, I wonder if the increase in capacity will improve or worsen this issue?

Via GCR, some more details of the 2019 Fusion Energi besides the upgrade to 25 miles AER we already knew about:
2019 Ford Fusion Energi gets longer electric range
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1118309_2019-ford-fusion-energi-gets-longer-electric-range

. . . The 2019 Fusion Energi will also come standard with Ford Co-Pilot 360 driver assist system, which includes forward-collision warnings, automatic emergency braking, blind-spot monitors, active lane control, and automatic high beams.

Ford's Sync 3 infotainment system now includes Waze compatibility and Alexa to shop, search, and control smart-home features from the road.

Top-of-the-line Fusion Energi Titaniums also come standard with adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go capability, navigation with SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link. These features are also optional on other trim levels. . . .

Back