Official Hyundai Tucson FCEV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

With the first production Tucson FCEVs in the U.S. having been off loaded from the ship on May 20th and the first leases expected shortly, it's time to start a thread, so here it is.

Here's the link to Hyundai USA's Tucson FCEV link:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/tucsonfuelcell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
With the first production Tucson FCEVs in the U.S. having been off loaded from the ship on May 20th and the first leases expected shortly, it's time to start a thread, so here it is. As a placeholder, here's a link to the brochure for the Scandinavian version:

http://www.scandinavianhydrogen.org/sites/default/files/hyundai_fcevbrochure_revised.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is something I wrote in the other thread:
RegGuheert said:
What I object to is the idea that hydrogen is somehow the "end game". I believe this is the message being pushed by some in the oil industry since they believe that they have a chance to at least partially control the hydrogen market while they have little they can do with BEVs except lose market share to them. However, for most applications I believe BEVs are the "end game" and hydrogen is now simply a distraction from the steady roll-out that is now occurring.
As is clear from the brochure GRA provided, Hyundai is pushing this ill-founded idea:
Hyundai ix35 FCEV Brochure said:
Internal Combustion->Hybrid->Electric Vehicle->Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle
LTLFTcomposite said:
24 kwh battery? Can that be charged from a plug without using the fuel cell?
If you put a plug on it and a larger battery that would make fueling more convenient (and less expensive in the future when hydrogen is no longer included in the lease) for the consumer and nearly impossible for the large corporations to control the hydrogen economy. The lack of a plug on an electric vehicle should give a better idea about the motivations behind the companies pushing FCEVs.

At 24kW (plus whatever the fuel cell puts out), that thing should be quite a dog compared with most BEVs.

Edit: Corrected based on Stoaty's proper read of the datasheet.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Actually, it is a 24 kw battery (maximum power) that stores 0.95 kwh of energy:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/tucsonfuelcell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RegGuheert said:
If you put a plug on it that would make it more convenient (and less expensive in the future when hydrogen is no longer included in the lease) for the consumer and nearly impossible for the large corporations to control the hydrogen economy. The lack of a plug on a vehicle with that large of a battery should give *nearly* :roll: everyone a better idea about the motivations behind the companies pushing FCEVs. What's another $3K to add an on-board charger compared to what the car already costs to make?

(FAQ)

Is it possible to purchase the Tucson Fuel Cell?

No, at this time the vehicle is only available for lease. In addition, there is no purchase option at the end of the lease.

smkettner said:
(FAQ)

Is it possible to purchase the Tucson Fuel Cell?

No, at this time the vehicle is only available for lease. In addition, there is no purchase option at the end of the lease.
Can you spell C O M P L I A N C E C A R ?

Stoaty said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Actually, it is a 24 kw battery (maximum power) that stores 0.95 kwh of energy:

That makes more sense, thanks. I need to stop reading so much on my phone :D

You don't often see batteries quoted in terms of instantaneous output instead of capacity. Maybe the number 24 is a coincidence or maybe I fell into a little trap they wouldn't mind having a few more fall into.

LTLFTcomposite said:
You don't often see batteries quoted in terms of instantaneous output instead of capacity. Maybe the number 24 is a coincidence or maybe I fell into a little trap they wouldn't mind having a few more fall into.
Typically only see kW / power ratings for hybrids and fuel cell vehicles.

Interestingly, it also says that it is a 60AH battery... If you do the math, that places it at around 15 volts... So, it is about the same capacity as the lead acid battery in a small conventional vehicle...

drees said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

TomT said:
Interestingly, it also says that it is a 60AH battery... If you do the math, that places it at around 15 volts... So, it is about the same capacity as the lead acid battery in a small conventional vehicle...
You can be pretty sure that the voltage is much higher than 15V, probably 150-250V. Pulling 25 kW over 15V would mean a lot of current. Good luck getting 25 kW out of a lead acid battery!

It says slightly less than 1 Kwh and 60 AH... That gives you slightly more than 15 volts. Now, perhaps one of more of their numbers are wrong but the electrical formula does not lie... I admit that there does appear to be something wrong with their numbers... Perhaps they meant 6.0 Ah which would give slightly more than 150 volts..

drees said:
You can be pretty sure that the voltage is much higher than 15V, probably 150-250V. Pulling 25 kW over 15V would mean a lot of current. Good luck getting 25 kW out of a lead acid battery!

$499/month + $3k down sounds steep given the current lease pricing on volts and leafs. In 2011/12 early adopters were a target rich environment, now the novelty has worn off. Maybe it's just me but I sense that unless you're talking about a premium car like Tesla people are only interested in playing this game now if the numbers are favorable.

LTLFTcomposite said:
$499/month + $3k down sounds steep given the current lease pricing on volts and leafs. In 2011/12 early adopters were a target rich environment, now the novelty has worn off. Maybe it's just me but I sense that unless you're talking about a premium car like Tesla people are only interested in playing this game now if the numbers are favorable.
Compare it to a RAV4 EV at the same price, but with the addition of unlimited free fuel and free 'Valet Maintenance' ala Tesla. OTOH the RAV4EV can be had with an unlimited mileage lease, while the Tucson's lease is 12k/year for those terms. I assume you can get a higher mileage lease for more. I've suggested either might work for someone over on the Spark EV forum with a long commute, based in Irvine, who's asking for advice. Straight up comparo, for their needs the RAV4 w/unlimited mileage is better, but with the Tucson they wouldn't need to buy and install an EVSE at a home they plan to move from in 4 years, so that cost has to be factored in as well. They'll also be surrounded by H2 fueling stations, so that isn't an issue either.

On another topic, since I see BEV people making this mistake all the time, FCEV batteries (they're actually FCHVs) are quoted in kW, because the battery is used solely to provide additional power for acceleration (fuel cells currently being somewhat slow to change power levels) and so as to have somewhere to dump electricity from regenerative braking. That means they want a 'power' battery, not an 'energy' battery like a BEV uses. The chemistries are different, because you need to handle lots of current for short periods of time, and far more cycles (because of the smaller battery) than a BEV does. It's possible to use a larger 'energy' battery and thus have PHFCEVs; this is being done in France with some postal delivery vans.

I've replaced the link to the Scandinavian site on the first page of the thread with the following link to the Hyundai U.S.A. Tucson FCEV page, which includes specs and FAQs:

Via GCR, first Tucson delivered to U.S. Lessee:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1092640_first-2015-hyundai-tucson-fuel-cell-delivered-in-california" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
Via GCR, first Tucson delivered to U.S. Lessee:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1092640_first-2015-hyundai-tucson-fuel-cell-delivered-in-california" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LOL.

Hyundai provides the hydrogen fuel free for the life of the lease, though drivers presently have just a small selection of fueling stations available--which restricts the leases to customers living in specific areas of Los Angeles and Orange County.

evnow said:
LOL.

Hyundai provides the hydrogen fuel free for the life of the lease, though drivers presently have just a small selection of fueling stations available--which restricts the leases to customers living in specific areas of Los Angeles and Orange County.
Which is just what they should be doing right now, expanding the sales region as the fueling infrastructure expands, because they obviously shouldn't be leased in areas where it makes no sense, yet. As opposed to say Nissan selling LEAFs in hot states, rather than restricting them to short-term leases only in those areas. I know which behavior I consider more ethical, and which isn't going to lead to a negative customer backlash and bad PR.

GRA said:
Which is just what they should be doing right now, expanding the sales region as the fueling infrastructure expands, because they obviously shouldn't be leased in areas where it makes no sense, yet.
LOL - because the infrastructure is so non-existent. It is a so-cal compliance car !

Back