RegGuheert
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:43 am

GRA wrote:
RegGuheert wrote:
GRA ib June 3, 2018 wrote:<span>Per IEVS, May U.S. <a href="http://www.mytoyotamirai.com" class="interlinkr">Mirai<span class="tip">Visit the Mirai Forum</span></a> sales/leases were 102, up from 76 last month, and 640 total for the year. Still very limited, but the first MoM increase this year. Still waiting on Clarity FCEV lease info.</span>
GRA on June 1, 2017 wrote:May U.S. Mirai sales per IEVS: 162 (579 YTD). The IEVS article has a mistake and says 305 YTD, which was the total at the end of March IIRR. Of note, the Clarity FCEV saw its leases jump to 119 in May (previous high 42 in January), so I think the word is spreading that it's a better car than the Mirai.
In other words, fewer than 63% as many Mirais were moved this May versus May 2017.

Quite so, and I imagine most of the difference is due to the availability of the Clarity FCEV. Mirai sales dropped after the Clarity became available, just as you'd expect for two vehicles competing in the same limited niche. [Edit] IEVS now has Clarity FCEV numbers, 30 for May, which is very poor compared to last month. I wonder if this is an inventory problem.
So if we somehow imagine that Honda Clarities are Toyota Mirais, we have May 2018 sales at about 81% of May 2017 sales. But the Honda Clarity is not a Toyota Mirai...
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

GRA

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:22 pm

RegGuheert wrote:
GRA wrote:
RegGuheert wrote:In other words, fewer than 63% as many Mirais were moved this May versus May 2017.

Quite so, and I imagine most of the difference is due to the availability of the Clarity FCEV. Mirai sales dropped after the Clarity became available, just as you'd expect for two vehicles competing in the same limited niche. [Edit] IEVS now has Clarity FCEV numbers, 30 for May, which is very poor compared to last month. I wonder if this is an inventory problem.
So if we somehow imagine that Honda Clarities are Toyota Mirais, we have May 2018 sales at about 81% of May 2017 sales. But the Honda Clarity is not a Toyota Mirai...

Quite so, the Clarity's generally a better deal. OTOH, both are generally considered ugly or at least weird-looking, and are also sedans, which doesn't help sales of either of them. Add to that the fueling network is well behind schedule, and has concentrated on expanding density and capacity in urban areas (which is certainly needed to boost owner confidence and convenience for routine driving) at the expense of expanding coverage into new areas, and the problems/mistakes are piling up. We won't see any major increase in station numbers until 2019, and those are all density/capacity infill.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”