mikekuby
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Hello Leaf Drivers - If you are on this thread and you live in California, you may have considered getting a hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle (FCV) before you opted for a Leaf. We are a team of academic geographers and ethnographers who are studying people's decision-making processes regarding whether or not to get a FCV. We are interested in talking to people who seriously considered purchasing or leasing an FCV but decided AGAINST doing so (which is proving to be a tough demographic to find, so if this description fits you, we'd love to chat with you).

Interviews will take about 20 minutes and can be conducted by phone, Skype, or Google Hangouts. Participants will receive a $10 Amazon gift card as a small token of appreciation for their participation. If you are over 18 years of age and interested in participating, please contact my research assistant Oscar Lopez at oglj@asu.edu to schedule an interview. You can learn more about the study at http://www.public.asu.edu/~mikekuby/H2F ... ion_Study/. Email, comment, or message us if you have any questions. Thanks, Leaf Drivers!!

Dr. Michael Kuby
Professor, Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning
Arizona State University

GRA
Posts: 10299
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Thu May 02, 2019 5:35 pm

Per IEVS, April U.S. Mirai sales est. 202.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

lorenfb
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:15 am

In the early 2020s, Toyota would like to introduce 10 BEV models worldwide, including six global models, based on e-TNGA platform.
If we look at the general plan, you can notice however that expected BEV sales are low compared to hybrid and plug-in hybrid share.
Interestingly, Toyota doesn't see much market share for hydrogen fuel cell cars by 2050 either.

https://insideevs.com/news/353600/toyot ... obal-bevs/
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F (35C), min discharge (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 25%, temp < 105F

WetEV
Posts: 2858
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 am
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014
Location: Near Seattle, WA

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:44 am

lorenfb wrote:In the early 2020s, Toyota would like to introduce 10 BEV models worldwide, including six global models, based on e-TNGA platform.
If we look at the general plan, you can notice however that expected BEV sales are low compared to hybrid and plug-in hybrid share.
Interestingly, Toyota doesn't see much market share for hydrogen fuel cell cars by 2050 either.

https://insideevs.com/news/353600/toyot ... obal-bevs/


Image
WetEV
#49
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

smkettner
Posts: 7336
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:16 am

lorenfb wrote:In the early 2020s, Toyota would like to introduce 10 BEV models worldwide, including six global models, based on e-TNGA platform.
If we look at the general plan, you can notice however that expected BEV sales are low compared to hybrid and plug-in hybrid share.
Interestingly, Toyota doesn't see much market share for hydrogen fuel cell cars by 2050 either.

https://insideevs.com/news/353600/toyot ... obal-bevs/
Now if only CA will do same and shift money from H2 to L3.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

GRA
Posts: 10299
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Per IEVS, Toyota delivered 248 Mirais in the U.S. in May.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA
Posts: 10299
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 pm

GCR:
Toyota Mirai gets deepest discount yet - amid fuel shortage
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1123535_toyota-mirai-gets-deepest-discount-yet-in-the-midst-of-hydrogen-shortage

SQL errors so can't quote, but it's weird considering the H2 situation in the Bay Area right now. You'd think they'd do as they're doing in Norway, and simply stop sales for a while. Maybe this is driven by needing emission credits.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 am

GRA wrote:GCR:
Toyota Mirai gets deepest discount yet - amid fuel shortage
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1123535_toyota-mirai-gets-deepest-discount-yet-in-the-midst-of-hydrogen-shortage

SQL errors so can't quote, but it's weird considering the H2 situation in the Bay Area right now. You'd think they'd do as they're doing in Norway, and simply stop sales for a while. Maybe this is driven by needing emission credits.


At first it didn't make sense to me. Why would Norway's fueling station explosion (why didn't you link it?) impact Bay Area Mirai sales. Then I found out about the Santa Clara explosion: https://abc7news.com/bay-area-hydrogen- ... n/5328775/

In the case of Norway, I've pointed out before how dangerous extremely high compression (10,000 psi or 70bar) was, and now the Norway explosive decompression bears it out. People nearby were injured because their airbags deployed from the shockwave of the explosive decompression! Compressed H2 tanks should NOT be roaming around on the highways as any ruptures will affect any vehicle within its blast radius.

Just google for Russian CNG explosion videos for just a sampling of what 3500psi decompression can do (no flame needed). sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-nOPvXiIWQ

Toyota needs to end their obsession with FCEV's and put more effort into their BEV and PHEV vehicles.
:: Model 3 LR :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
100% Zero transportation emissions (except when I walk) and loving it!

smkettner
Posts: 7336
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 pm

I will start giving a bit more distance between H2 and NG vehicles.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

GRA
Posts: 10299
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:22 pm

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:
GRA wrote:GCR:
Toyota Mirai gets deepest discount yet - amid fuel shortage
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1123535_toyota-mirai-gets-deepest-discount-yet-in-the-midst-of-hydrogen-shortage

SQL errors so can't quote, but it's weird considering the H2 situation in the Bay Area right now. You'd think they'd do as they're doing in Norway, and simply stop sales for a while. Maybe this is driven by needing emission credits.


At first it didn't make sense to me. Why would Norway's fueling station explosion (why didn't you link it?) impact Bay Area Mirai sales.

I put it in the general "Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion" topic rather than one of the specific FCEV topics, as fuel shortages apply to all FCEVs. OTOH, the Bay Area fire and shortage was discussed in the either that or California retail H2 stations topic, forget which. cwerdna first posted that one, as I didn't see it until the next day.

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:Then I found out about the Santa Clara explosion: https://abc7news.com/bay-area-hydrogen- ... n/5328775/

In the case of Norway, I've pointed out before how dangerous extremely high compression (10,000 psi or 70bar) was, and now the Norway explosive decompression bears it out. People nearby were injured because their airbags deployed from the shockwave of the explosive decompression! Compressed H2 tanks should NOT be roaming around on the highways as any ruptures will affect any vehicle within its blast radius.

And gasoline-fueled ICEs shouldn't be roaming our streets and highways, because they can catch on fire/explode. See my comments in the H2 and FCEVs topic: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14744&start=4220#p559990


Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:Just google for Russian CNG explosion videos for just a sampling of what 3500psi decompression can do (no flame needed). sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-nOPvXiIWQ

Toyota needs to end their obsession with FCEV's and put more effort into their BEV and PHEV vehicles.

Right, so then they can worry about batteries experiencing thermal runaway, catching fire and/or exploding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=AmbHpqWjMVE

This is one of the reasons why Toyota wants to develop solid-state batteries, as they should be much less susceptible to this. Without exception, all of these energy storage methods are hazardous in one way or another. If you want to avoid any possibility of fire or explosion, then you need to use propulsion that doesn't rely on energy stored at high densities. Walk, bike, skate, paddle, sail, rollerblade, swim, etc.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”