Chevy Volt wins Motor Trend Car Of The Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman

General Motors Co.'s Chevrolet Volt won the Motor Trend 2011 Car of the Year award, the magazine said Tuesday. :lol:

Oh I can see that, why it's not quite as good as a 2010 Prius, (at 38mpg CS mode, versus 50mpg for the Prius), what's so wonderfull about it? 40-50 miles of EV range? I doubt most of those Volt buyer will even bother to plug it in... The plug in conversion I can get for my 2010 Prius at the end of this year will get between 40-60 miles of EV range, and when the pack's depleted, damn, I'm only going to get a lousy 50mg :)

mitch672 said:
Oh I can see that, why it's not quite as good as a 2010 Prius, (at 38mpg CS mode, versus 50mpg for the Prius), what's so wonderfull about it? 40-50 miles of EV range? I doubt most of those Volt buyer will even bother to plug it in... The plug in conversion I can get for my 2010 Prius at the end of this year will get between 40-60 miles of EV range, and when the pack's depleted, damn, I'm only going to get a lousy 50mg :)
Actually, they're getting getting way less than even 35 miles pure ev, typically, when driven hard, uphill ... cold weather etc ...

chevyvolt230mpg_lede.jpg

but once THAT's depleted, their Volt hybrid (that's all it is ... yet they keep calling it an EV) gets an average of 32mpg running charge sustaining mode. And you get to pay $10K more than if you bought the Prius. Good call Motor Trend.
:lol:

Check out how complex that tranny is . . . this is what I call, built in maintenance:
http://www.automobilemag.com/green/news/1010_chevy_volt_surprise/battery_electric_propulsion.html

iceman said:
yeah, and its made in the usa :eek:

Yes, we know (your starting to sound like a broken record)

Motor Trend is so far up Detroits butt, it's not even funny. How many of those Volts is GM going to make? Answer: not enough to matter, or for most people to even be able to get one, never mind paying the 5-20K gouging over MSRP most of their "dealers" are asking for.

They really missed the boat on this one, of course it should be the Leaf, as the most inovative product of the year, of course, it's not part of the Detroit Gearhead crowd.

Actually, it would be good to keep our eye on the ball and congratulate the EV aspects of the Volt for this award. Yes, I would have enjoyed the LEAF being COTY but lets remember that Motor Trend is not in the green car business. The LEAF could have been a flying saucer from the future and MT would have complained that it did not have a gas engine. Oh well. :roll: GM lobbied incredibly hard for the Volt to get COTY and they got it. Congratulations! It is not anything against the LEAf and history will clearly show this. In fact, I am going to go out and buy a stack of this MT issue and stash them away. When EV's dominate (as ALL manufacturers agree they will) this "Volt Defeats LEAF" issue of Motor Trend will be worth ALOT of money.

Deweytruman12.jpg

I charge my Volt every night when the rates are at their lowest.

According to the app on my iPhone, the car has gone 537 miles, 262 totally electric, for an MPG of 316.

I blame GM for those gas miles. Since I've had it I've burnt 0.07 gallons and 0.03 gallons on two separate days. I wouldn't have burnt that much, but I've been letting people test drive it and encouraging them to stomp on the pedal.

ColinSummers said:
According to the app on my iPhone, the car has gone 537 miles, 262 totally electric, for an MPG of 316.
So the car claims to have only burned 1.7 gallons over those 537 miles?

Without knowing the amount of gas burned and kWh used to charge the car, the numbers appear to be fictitious given that the Volt is expected to get about 40mpg when the engine turns on.

ColinSummers said:
I wouldn't have burnt that much, but I've been letting people test drive it and encouraging them to stomp on the pedal.

Are you saying that if you "stomp on the pedal" the ICE kicks in?

ColinSummers said:
I charge my Volt every night when the rates are at their lowest.

I blame GM for those gas miles. Since I've had it I've burnt 0.07 gallons and 0.03 gallons on two separate days. I wouldn't have burnt that much, but I've been letting people test drive it and encouraging them to stomp on the pedal.

Nice Blog. Congratulations on your Volt! Make us all proud and keep that ICE in permanent standby mode. Why did you get "banned" if I may ask???

drees said:
ColinSummers said:
So the car claims to have only burned 1.7 gallons over those 537 miles?

Without knowing the amount of gas burned and kWh used to charge the car, the numbers appear to be fictitious given that the Volt is expected to get about 40mpg when the engine turns on.

Or 1.7 gallons for the (537 - 262 electric miles) = 275 gas powered (CS mode) miles? So 161 gas powered MPG? Not possible.

iceman said:
General Motors Co.'s Chevrolet Volt won the Motor Trend 2011 Car of the Year award, the magazine said Tuesday. :lol:

Hahaha, what's the big surprise? Motor Trend is in GM's pocket and the worst magazine for EVs.

Other Motor Trend winners that I can see the Volt having a similar future to:
Chrysler Cirrus
Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
Pontiac Grand Prix
Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant
Chevrolet Citation
Chrysler, Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon
Chrysler, Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare
Chevrolet Monza 2+2
Chevrolet Vega

This reward just shows how completely irrelevant Motor Trend and its fellow Detroit fanboy publications have become

Back